Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats what i dont get. Make the league bigger. No relegations. Let leeds and wba come up as they are in top 2 then relegate more teams for the new season.

That makes more sense than relegating norwich us and Bournemouth 

Premier League wants less teams. They want it down to 18 maybe even 16 long term

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Premier League wants less teams. They want it down to 18 maybe even 16 long term

UEFA would like that, and maybe a small group of teams that would like more Champions league games - but the Premier league wouldn't want to give up matches. It's the league that have resisted the calls to reduce the number of teams.

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

UEFA would like that, and maybe a small group of teams that would like more Champions league games - but the Premier league wouldn't want to give up matches. It's the league that have resisted the calls to reduce the number of teams.

I can't actually remember when a top division european league has been reduced in size, certainly not in the last 20 years. Serie A went up from 18 to 20 and Scottish Premiership was increased from 10 to 12.

19 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

I really missed football when games stopped a month ago.

The longer this has gone on the less I miss it .Maybe it’s because other things that our dominating our thoughts at the moment are more important.

The whole thing with enormous salaries and transfer fees seems incongruous currently.

While people die in their hundreds every day the thought of playing games seems ridiculous.It would be like the league continuing during the Second World War.

One of the differences  there is that most of the footballers were off fighting for their country. Have most of the footballers volunteered for the nhs, or are they  sitting comfortably  in their mansions 

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It would need the 14 votes to pass

You'd like to think the bottom 10 wouldn't be daft enough to vote for it

I would imagine the teams 17th -10th couldn’t care less. You’ve then got the 3 teams in relegation zone who would vote against. Then teams currently in top 4 would vote for and the rest with a chance of top 4 and Europe vote against. 

The EFL have just confirmed all leagues will be completed, however long it takes. Matches to be played behind closed doors and all games streamed live. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

I can't actually remember when a top division european league has been reduced in size, certainly not in the last 20 years. Serie A went up from 18 to 20 and Scottish Premiership was increased from 10 to 12.

Belgian league went down from 18 to 16 10 years ago

4 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Some prudent point making in this thread on twitter. Novel ideas really.

He's a comedian isn't he? Doesn't have a lot of sympathy for Partick Thistle does he? Sadly that's how the majority of people, who have no link to a club that is relegated in this way are likely to view it. I heard that the league might have been trying this on initially and were prepared to cancel their relegation if their decision proved generally unpopular. In our case, I'm sure the PL will want to play the games for "integrity" purposes or should we translate that to simply read "money?" If they can't do that, I wouldn't put it past them trying something like this themselves, but I'm sure they realise we wouldn't go quietly!

1 hour ago, jim said:

I would imagine the teams 17th -10th couldn’t care less. You’ve then got the 3 teams in relegation zone who would vote against. Then teams currently in top 4 would vote for and the rest with a chance of top 4 and Europe vote against. 

But teams need to think of not just this pandemic what if it happens again?  Say earlier in the season and Man Utd have had a terrible start and in the bottom 3.  Whatever is decided here is going to be used next time so clubs need to think about that when voting.

1 hour ago, jim said:

I meant in regards to voting on a reduction from 20 to 18 teams in the future

Would result in more relegations (EFL won't scrap the playoffs) so why would anyone in any kind of danger vote for it? 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

We should blame ourselves for getting that cup final. Bloody Trezeguet

Why should that make a difference? In 1974/75 we won the bloody thing but still ended up winning our last eight games to get promoted. 

11 minutes ago, jim said:

Premier League have followed the EFL season will be completed, no set date as to when. 

Yes whether people like it or not its going to have to be completed behind closed doors. 

23 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

I really missed football when games stopped a month ago.

The longer this has gone on the less I miss it .Maybe it’s because other things that our dominating our thoughts at the moment are more important.

The whole thing with enormous salaries and transfer fees seems incongruous currently.

While people die in their hundreds every day the thought of playing games seems ridiculous.It would be like the league continuing during the Second World War.

Agreed. When I see how certain.clubs and players act in these situations, it just gives me a feeling of disdain. They're so far removed from the reality of normal peoples life, or even worse, consider themselves above it all. Why should we keep lining their pockets? Im feeling pretty much done with football at the moment. Hopefully it will pass, but the emotional involvement just isn't there anymore. 

It's absurd that they did not discuss any concrete dates. They've backed themselves into a corner either way. The position hasn't fundamentally changed. They wont' resume until the medical advice and governmental support is in place.

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It's absurd that they did not discuss any concrete dates. They've backed themselves into a corner either way. The position hasn't fundamentally changed. They wont' resume until the medical advice and governmental support is in place.

How can they when we have no idea when all this will end?

They did say it’s currently to early to start talking about deadlines. I imagine it will be a very different discussion in 4 weeks time if we are still in the thick of it.