Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

On relegation, the Premier League pretty much did nothing with the Tevez affair and let the courts decide things and by then the new season had started. Dont be surprised if pull a similar stunt

If they decide to just relegate the bottom three it will be tough to take and no doubt challenged by the club. However we are there for a reason....

This game in hand might just have a deciding factor in the outcome.

7 hours ago, useless said:

^^^^ Significant because we also find ourselves in the relegation zone with a game in hand.

With Patrick, it’s not so much they decided not to take legal action it’s because a legal challenge would destroy the club financially. 

12 hours ago, CosmicVillan said:

Hopefully as side effect it will mean a massive course correction to the crazy inflated player salaries and transfer fees

If football generates billions, then the players should be the biggest beneficiaries, not billionaire club owners. It would be fantastic for clubs and players to make sure even the cleaners are getting a few times living wage seeing as that would have a negligible impact on things with the enormous flood of money int he premier league. It would also be good for the premier league to offer more money to the football league for grass roots football and the smaller clubs, as they are the game and without the game the money disappears.

BUT, if football continues to generate billions, players should not be getting pay cuts for the money to go to the already mega rich owners.

In Percy’s recent article on constructive talks being had at villa r.e wage reductions, he mentions that we are one of the clubs in favour of the season ending. You would hope if true that that would mean the most popular option being discussed does not include relegation. 

He also says we have a salary cap of £45k barring Grealish which I thought was interesting.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

They cant relegate us with that game in hand not a chance.

We could sue the pants off the PL

Precedent has been set in Scotland. It’s a very real possibility.

3 minutes ago, jim said:

Ywah but the difference between scottish football leagues and the pl to championship is absolutely massive.

If we didnt have that game in hand i think we could be in trouble but as we have that we have a very strong case to sue the pl. Edens purslow and sawiris do not look like the kind of people who would accept that lying down

5 minutes ago, jim said:

But they have not relegated Hearts yet from the Prem.  They are talking about a 14 team Prem up from 12 and promoting 2 teams from the Highland Leagues to League 2 to keep the leagues equal.

Obviously easier with small leagues though.

No way they are drawing a line now and relegating clubs with a quarter of  the season to go, absolutely no way. There are £100m’s at stake any business facing some Mickey mouse rule change part way through a season that costs them millions will not take that lying down.

Scotland is no precedent, it’s a joke league:  when “every team has played each other three times the league splits into two halves for another five games. This means that the top six teams play each other once, and the bottom six teams play each other once”. Huh? No comparison, the idiots who decided to relegate Partick with a game in hand and a chance of survival are the same ones who thought that format was a good idea.

We haven’t played everyone twice yet.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ywah but the difference between scottish football leagues and the pl to championship is absolutely massive.

If we didnt have that game in hand i think we could be in trouble but as we have that we have a very strong case to sue the pl. Edens purslow and sawiris do not look like the kind of people who would accept that lying down

All true. If it went to a vote that we end the season as we are now. Majority would rule and I’m not sure what comeback we’d have legally. 

I don’t see it concluding by end of June, this season will be scrapped. Next season will be a worry for them too.

I was told two days ago by a pal who has an involvement with government strategists, that the lockdown would be extended (it has) and even if at the end of this period we were on the correct trajectory there would be at least a further lockdown for three additional weeks (to beginning of June) and then regional phased lifting of lockdown. So the earliest teams can join up to train together will be June, let alone play games.

Edited by thunderball

There's no way the season is going to be completely null and voided, I think people need to forget about that, pretty much every league has said that that's not an option. One of three things will happen, either the table as it stands now will be declared the final table with us, Norwich and Bournemouth relegated and Liverpool awarded the title, the season resumes with games played behind closed doors, or again the table as it stands now will be declared as the final table but with no relegation meaning a bigger league next season.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

There's no way the season is going to be completely null and voided, I think people need to forget about that, pretty much every league has said that that's not an option. One of three things will happen, either the table as it stands now will be declared the final table with us, Norwich and Bournemouth relegated and Liverpool awarded the title, the season resumes with games played behind closed doors, or again the table as it stands now will be declared as the final table but with no relegation meaning a bigger league next season.

I think it very much is one of the options, and one of only two that stands a chance of prevailing, the other being the increased PL for next season and no relegation.

The tables with 9 games to go never mirrors the end of season one. There is always drama, always a surprise. Some teams have played the tougher games, some have difficult run ins, that’s why it’s just not fair to evaluate a season with a quarter of games to go, because it’s not equal. It wouldn’t stand up in court if challenged. You now have 20 of the wealthiest people in the world owning PL football clubs, they can all afford very expensive lawyers to tie this up in knots. That’s why it will always be an equitable settlement to existing PL members.

30 minutes ago, useless said:

Thats what i dont get. Make the league bigger. No relegations. Let leeds and wba come up as they are in top 2 then relegate more teams for the new season.

That makes more sense than relegating norwich us and Bournemouth 

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Only got ourselves to blame if the worst case scenario happens.

The fact that the Cherries did the double over us is criminal

We should blame ourselves for getting that cup final. Bloody Trezeguet