Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

When it's looking like we might be relegated?

We had the lionshare of possession and notably more attempts than Bournemouth.

Two howlers have cost us, and we'd otherwise more than likely be celebrating.

I mean, we've been unbelievably unlucky as well IMO. The Grealish error VS Spurs saw the ball take a pinball like path to fall straight at Kane's feet. And the deflection on the Wilson goal was pure luck! Deflecting right onto the inside of the post FFs.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

38 points is the magic number, we stayed up with that under Sherwood and in one of the Lambert seasons.

Brighton stayed up on 36 points last season btw.

True but I would rather get to 40 points so we aren't in a last day of the season battle.

I would prefer it even more to smash the 40 points by January/February.

Ultimately even if we go down we have a strong enough squad to come straight back up and we have the parachute payments and a good year in the championship winning games. I would not sack Smith , the whole set-up made the decisions on what players to buy.

Its unfortunate that they have to all learn together how to play in the premier League and how to play as a team , it's all new to them. Add to that the pressures of losing matches and points and it's all a bit of gamble and it always was.

We sort of did the same with Veretout and Guye and the others , and we ended up changing the manager and abandoning the new players and going with the old school that got us relegated and gave us nothing to build on, just old players and the new players left under a cloud and at a loss to us . Some of who have gone on to show that if we would have stuck with them we would have turned the corner and maybe escaped relegation or come straight back up .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tinker said:

Ultimately even if we go down we have a strong enough squad to come straight back up and we have the parachute payments and a good year in the championship winning games. I would not sack Smith , the whole set-up made the decisions on what players to buy.

Its unfortunate that they have to all learn together how to play in the premier League and how to play as a team , it's all new to them. Add to that the pressures of losing matches and points and it's all a bit of gamble and it always was.

We sort of did the same with Veretout and Guye and the others , and we ended up changing the manager and abandoning the new players and going with the old school that got us relegated and gave us nothing to build on, just old players and the new players left under a cloud and at a loss to us . Some of who have gone on to show that if we would have stuck with them we would have turned the corner and maybe escaped relegation or come straight back up .

Nah. Completely different. Gueye and Veretout wanted to leave as they knew they were too good for The Championship.

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

When it's looking like we might be relegated?

We had the lionshare of possession and notably more attempts than Bournemouth.

Two howlers have cost us, and we'd otherwise more than likely be celebrating.

I’m not buying into this ‘we only made two mistakes and it cost is’ excuse. People almost implying that if you concede from a mistake, then it somehow doesn’t count. They do, and the fact that unforced errors are costing us games is deeply concerning.

Spurs was a free punt game and was the one to make mistakes in, not Bournemouth at Home. 

Plus, we probably had the lion share of possession because Bournemouth were happy to sit on their 2 goal cushion. What is concerning is that, even with that possession, we only scored once.

People seem calm but I am not impressed with what I am seeing, on balance 

Edited by Pimlico_Villa

29 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I’m not buying into this ‘we only made two mistakes and it cost is’ excuse. People almost implying that if you concede from a mistake, then it somehow doesn’t count. They do, and the fact that unforced errors are costing us games is deeply concerning.

Spurs was a free punt game and was the one to make mistakes in, not Bournemouth at Home. 

Plus, we probably had the lion share of possession because Bournemouth were happy to sit on their 2 goal cushion. What is concerning is that, even with that possession, we only scored once.

People seem calm but I am not impressed with what I am seeing, on balance 

I've made pretty clear in the Luiz and Heaton thread that our efforts that are worthy of a victory have been eclipsed by our errors that led to defeats.

You've misconstrued my post a little bit, when I said "two howlers have cost us, and otherwise we'd more than likely be celebrating".. the 'otherwise' is key.

'Othewise' means in the event they did not occur. They did, and we have 0 points from our first two games, the worst possible outcome in regards to points.

We've made some poor decisions that did indeed end up as unforced errors. That HAS to improve. I guess our opinions differ in that I believe they will, you perhaps not?

You tell me on that one, I don't want to assume your stance on this squad in regards to capability. I actually think we're pretty sh*t hot for a team freshly promoted.

You make a case that must be considered in regards to possession, and I would guess that the truth be in between that and the suggestion we outplayed them.

Both Norwich and Sheff Utd pretty much showing us how it is done. 

Got a horrible feeling we are this seasons whipping boys, again... points going to be very hard to come by. 

Not sure what the reason is though; player quality, tactics, too many new players, not retaining enough of last seasons players? 

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think we had an incredible summer but its now looking like a **** up that we failed to bring in another forward and wide player. 

I just can't see where the goals are coming from. 

I hope that getting the new full backs in will make a bit of a difference there. Guilbert looked like he could get some assists.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Both Norwich and Sheff Utd pretty much showing us how it is done. 

Got a horrible feeling we are this seasons whipping boys, again... points going to be very hard to come by. 

Not sure what the reason is though; player quality, tactics, too many new players, not retaining enough of last seasons players? 

In fairness, they have played two teams you'd say were relegation candidates. We haven't. We hurt ourselves yesterday with mistakes that led to both goals.

37 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Sheff Utd looking like they are getting they're first win as well.

Wish we were in Norwich and Sheff Utd position in the summer, not having to rebuild.

Many on here where mocking their naivety for not buying players. Not sure whether it was just arrogance because of the amount of money we spent though.

Edited by jim

Palace is playing 80s football , no shape / no drills / no link up play/ long hopeful ball to the strikers.  they will be in relegations mix  I am sure ..

Shef Utd is eventhough devoid of stars , but they played as a team / well drill/ everyone know their roles / always look to pass to teammates .. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tinker said:

What makes you think the better quality players will hang around IF we get relegated?

I would put money on the likes of Grealish, McGinn, Trez, Heaton, Tyrone and Engels all going.

9 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

In fairness, they have played two teams you'd say were relegation candidates. We haven't. We hurt ourselves yesterday with mistakes that led to both goals.

Sheff Utd’s first game was Bournemouth away. They got themselves 1 point there

• Like 1