Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Teams that get promoted through play offs tend to get relegated straight away.

4 out of 5 play off winning teams the past 5 seasons have gone straight down.

Too much information. I didn't want to know this.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

The average spend per player was about £10millon. (Not sure if you heard the interview with purslow, but he confirmed that - 12 new players, about £120millon spent not including add-ons). 

So, when you look at it like that we have bought 12 x 10million pound players to replace the 12 that we released at the end of last season. You’d expect that some of those were better quality than what we had previously, maybe, but they weren’t premier league proven. 

So, actually, I don’t think our expectations should have been that we will ‘do a wolves’ this season, but instead survival was what we are aiming for. 

I think it was good signings with englishplayers,tez,engels luiz.Club brugge players are huge questionmark. First 8-10 games will be very though and probably few points. Than the points will increase with more established team.

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t we lose our first 4 games in Brian Littles second full season and still finished 5th?

Still early days and we’ve seen things that we should be encouraged about. 

Im suprised one or two have already written us off.

It was the 97-98 season and yeah, we lost the first four games. Ultimately finishing 7th and into Europe after Gregory came in.

The thought of that season had occurred to me, but someone else has pointed out just how bad Palace began their season a couple of years ago. Opening 7 games, 7 straight defeats. After 12 games, they had managed 5 points.

They ended the season in 11th and 11 points away from relegation.

Apples and oranges, but it shows that if we’re 0 for 3 this time next week we shouldn’t write the season off just yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’m inherently a pessimistic worrier, so the loss to Bournemouth has me terrified now. I really really don’t want us to get relegated again. 

After all the money we spent it would be a disaster.

Owners would possibly lose interest as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

After all the money we spent it would be a disaster.

Owners would possibly lose interest as well.

I'd hope it would not be as disastrous as last time. With all of these signings, I'm hoping the new lot have had the sense to include relegation wage drop clauses, and most of our signings are fairly young. We're not going to be lumbered with a load of overpaid old blokes that don't give a toss if we go down this year. 

38 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It was the 97-98 season and yeah, we lost the first four games. Ultimately finishing 7th and into Europe after Gregory came in.

The thought of that season had occurred to me, but someone else has pointed out just how bad Palace began their season a couple of years ago. Opening 7 games, 7 straight defeats. After 12 games, they had managed 5 points.

They ended the season in 11th and 11 points away from relegation.

Apples and oranges, but it shows that if we’re 0 for 3 this time next week we shouldn’t write the season off just yet.

You sure mate? I thoight it was Littles second season we lost the first 4. The third season he got sacked.  

Good point about Palace.

edit: just checked and you’re right! You’re memories better than mine.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You sure mate? I thoight it was Littles second season we lost the first 4. The third season he got sacked.  

Good point about Palace.

Yeah it was 100% the start of the 97-98 season.

So that was the start of what would have been Little’s third full season. Took over midway in 94-95, won the Coca Cola cup in 95-96, consolidated a top five place in 96-97, poor start and ultimately leaving the club in 97-98.

I remember the start of that season well, Diana, the hugely anticipated “Be Here Now”, the thought of Stan and Dwight up front together....

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

It was the Collymore season. Difference back then is we had top quality and proven premier league players in most positions, Bozzy, Southgate, Ugo, Yorke etc. We were inconsistant and then had a poor run but fantastic in europe that year so think we took eye off the league until John Gregory came in.

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Why are people talking about relegation after only 2 matches? Ridiculous! I hope the players have got a bit more stomach for the fight!

Weve lost our first two - one of which could reasonably expect to win - teams promoted via the play offs have a habit of not surviving - People were chatting relegation/survival prospects before a ball was kicked - so its a reasonable topic imo

10 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Why are people talking about relegation after only 2 matches? Ridiculous! I hope the players have got a bit more stomach for the fight!

I think its a reasonable discussion. We will certainly be in the mix most of the season. These 2 games have shown some serious issues. 

10 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Well speaking for myself i'm a nervewreck because of our last season in Premier League.

That season still have me traumatized and 2 straight defeats i get negative flashbacks.

When you look around the Premier league it's hard to see teams that are weaker than us, and we're yet to prove we can win games at this level, so until we prove otherwise we're going to be seen as being in danger of getting relegated. Need that first win as soon as possible.

• Like 2

I agree with the posts above & think that the main concern of myself and possibly some others on here is that Bournemouth are surely among the teams we should be taking at least a point from at home but we barely threatened their goal after gifting them the two goals. Heck even Bournemouth fans are saying we were toothless by all accounts,

Don't get me wrong we can turn this around it's just that the same issues were apparent in both of our opening fixtures. Poor forward play and little goal threat from any of the forwards or wingers. The odd chance they got they fluffed. 

I do believe though that when gelling a new team the last thing to fall in place is the attack so i half expected this. It's just it's worse than i thought it would be after us scoring so many in pre-season.  I think this is where a lot of the concern is coming from.

Defence looks ok to me apart from the Right back position which looked weak i thought against Bournemouth. It looks like DS is going with the familiarity between Elmo & Trez over the creativity & pace of Guilbert. I kind of get that but i feel Guilbert was a real bright spark in pre-season who created at least two good goals and we are badly missing that as the Elmo Trez combo has produced zilch! If anything it was part of the issue for the second Bournemouth goal on Saturday.

Not writing us off though far from it, i just think it will be a while until the forwards click and based on Saturday it may be longer than i thought.... Just hope not too long!!

Edited by danceoftheshamen

Just now, danceoftheshamen said:

I agree that the main concern is that Bournemouth are surely among the teams we should be taking at least a point from at home but we barely threatened their goal after gifting them the two goals. Heck even Bournemouth fans are saying we were toothless by all accounts,

Don't get me wrong we can turn this around it's just that the same issues were apparent in both of our opening fixtures. Poor forward play and little goal threat from any of the forwards or wingers. The odd chance they got they fluffed. 

I do believe though that when gelling a new team the last thing to fall in place is the attack so i half expected this. It's just it's worse than i thought it would be after us scoring so many in pre-season.  I think this is where a lot of the concern is coming from.

Defence looks ok to me apart from the Right back position which looked weak i thought against Bournemouth. It looks like DS is going with the familiarity between Elmo & Trez over the creativity & pace of Guilbert. I kind of get that but i feel Guilbert was a real bright spark in pre-season who created at least two good goals and we are badly missing that as the Elmo Trez combo has produced zilch! If anything it was part of the issue for the second Bournemouth goal on Saturday.

Not writing us off though far from it i just think it will be a while until the forwards click and based of Saturday it may be longer than i though.... Just hope not too long!!

What concerns me is that we seem to have assembled a team that lacks pace - you could see it yesterday when ever we went forward Bournemouth were ready and waiting for us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

What concerns me is that we seem to have assembled a team that lacks pace - you could see it yesterday when ever we went forward Bournemouth were ready and waiting for us.

This is my concern too, lack of real pace along with our bizarre lack of apparent aerial threat!. I really thought that with the height in the team, Engels, Mings, Targett, Wesley, Hause, Elghazi etc, all being 6ft + we would be a real handful at set pieces and with crosses from out wide yet we look so easy to defend against aside from the threat from midfield which we genuinely do have.

The crosses on Saturday were abysmal in the main, Grealsih, Trez & Elghazi were all way off with their delivery although i couldn't weigh up whether it was also due to players not busting a gut to get on the end of the odd good one which did get put over.... I'd say both actually!

Of course some from that list have not played yet obviously but even so.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1