Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

32 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

When does this become the new relegation thread? 

When it's looking like we might be relegated?

We had the lionshare of possession and notably more attempts than Bournemouth.

Two howlers have cost us, and we'd otherwise more than likely be celebrating.

8 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

When it's looking like we might be relegated?

We had the lionshare of possession and notably more attempts than Bournemouth.

Two howlers have cost us, and we'd otherwise more than likely be celebrating.

You really think it takes that long? :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

You really think it takes that long? :)

Let me put it like this..

We are two games into a thirty-eight game season. That's just over 5%.

Does a 100m sprinter with a slow first step have a chance at a podium finish after 5m into the race?

27 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Let me put it like this..

We are two games into a thirty-eight game season. That's just over 5%.

Does a 100m sprinter with a slow first step have a chance at a podium finish after 5m into the race?

Were not aiming for top 3.... Unbelievable lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Knight175 said:

Were not aiming for top 3.... Unbelievable lol

What's unbelievable? Where do I state that we are expecting to finish top 3?

I asked about whether or not hopes and aspirations of a sprinter are determined 5m into a 100m race.

I think you've misconstrued my meaning here. I'm just saying a lot of ground is yet to be covered.

• Like 1

The reality of the PL for a club like ours is that we are relegation candidates until we reach the point in which we are mathematically safe. That’s not me being negative, it is just how things are in this league. The process of getting to the Premier League (i.e. winning games and getting promoted) is much more fun than actually being here. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We’re aiming for survival. We need to be in the mix. 

According to Smith we're aiming to win each game and I think that shows. We're serious.

Held the lead for over an hour against last season's 4th place in the PL, and runner up in the CL, in our first game AWAY at Spurs.

Clear and notable efforts in regards to possession retained, shots on goal, passing success rate and limiting Bournemouth's opportunities.

And I'm apparently the one who's unbelievable? Sure, we may have 0 points from our first two games, and that is the least favourable outcome.

I'm still choosing to get behind and see the bright side of the club I support, as I think it's merited. I don't see many persuasive arguments as to why I shouldn't

1 minute ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

The reality of the PL for a club like ours is that we are relegation candidates until we reach the point in which we are mathematically safe. That’s not me being negative, it is just how things are in this league. The process of getting to the Premier League (i.e. winning games and getting promoted) is much more fun than actually being here. 

I never called you negative (if your reply here had me in mind at all), and I take the points you've just made.

If you have the time and interest, have a look at the points I make and consider if we were really that poor in our first two games.

I believe the reality is it's undetermined whether we are relegation candidates until it's mathematically probable and plausible to say that we are.

*pokes out tongue and runs*

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

According to Smith we're aiming to win each game and I think that shows. We're serious.

Held the lead for over an hour against last season's 4th place in the PL, and runner up in the CL, in our first game AWAY at Spurs.

Clear and notable efforts in regards to possession retained, shots on goal, passing success rate and limiting Bournemouth's opportunities.

And I'm apparently the one who's unbelievable? Sure, we may have 0 points from our first two games, and that is the least favourable outcome.

I'm still choosing to get behind and see the bright side of the club I support, as I think it's merited. I don't see many persuasive arguments as to why I shouldn't

I never said you’re being unbelievable. My post wasn’t directed towards you or anyone else. Its my belief for our first season back we need to survive and that’s all. The Premier League is a million levels above the Championship. The Championship is crap. The level is crap the quality is crap.

Wolves are an exception because they bought Premier League standard players because of their connection to Mendes so were able to do it. Leeds are the only other club in The Championship because of the Bielsa factor that I don’t think will struggle in the premier league.  So for any club coming up survival is the first priority. 

I don’t expect anything else because I understand with Dean Smith’s tactics and playing style our players will take time to adjust to it. If we survive then from next season onwards I believe we will  start to challenge for the top 10 and then from there we can make inroads towards the top 6 and beyond.

But we have to survive this season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I never said you’re being unbelievable. My post wasn’t directed towards you or anyone else. Its my belief for our first season back we need to survive and that’s all. The Premier League is a million levels above the Championship. The Championship is crap. The level is crap the quality is crap.

Wolves are an exception because they bought Premier League standard players because of their connection to Mendes so were able to do it. Leeds are the only other club in The Championship because of the Bielsa factor that I don’t think will struggle in the premier league.  So for any club coming up survival is the first priority. 

I don’t expect anything else because I understand with Dean Smith’s tactics and playing style our players will take time to adjust to it. If we survive then from next season onwards I believe we will  start to challenge for the top 10 and then from there we can make inroads towards the top 6 and beyond.

But we have to survive this season.

No, you didn't. Apologies.

As for the rest of your post, I can see the mind behind all of that and think that's all sound reasoning, even if I have a different POV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

What's unbelievable? Where do I state that we are expecting to finish top 3?

I asked about whether or not hopes and aspirations of a sprinter are determined 5m into a 100m race.

I think you've misconstrued my meaning here. I'm just saying a lot of ground is yet to be covered.

You likened us to a 100m sprinter with aspirations of a podium finish (top 3?). We are 2x games into our first season back in the PL - a massive step up as it is, let alone the 1st game having been against a top 4 team.

What I think is unbelievable is for people (not you granted) to be suggesting at this stage that we turn it into the relegation thread. 

I think we have the makings of a great squad for the first time in a long time. Its a long season, let's just enjoy the ride and hope we're better than 3 others (which I think we will be) 

Edited by Knight175
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

No, you didn't. Apologies.

As for the rest of your post, I can see the mind behind all of that and think that's all sound reasoning, even if I have a different POV.

I believe Dean Smith is a special manager/coach. He is very un English (ultra defensive)  in his approach. He likes technical football. But it’s about the players adjusting to his methods and plans quickly enough. 

Fernando Alonso is a special racer but that Mclaren was dog-s... hence he couldn’t utilise his talents.

I respect your pov because it’s the same as mine even though I believe it’s going to happen a season later. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

A point I wanna add is it seems the poor refereeing of The Championship has followed us to the premier league. We could easily be on 2-4 points had decisions gone our way. 

“:shit VAR, we always get shit VAR, we always get shit VAR...” 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

If's and But's

Almost don't want to do this now, but I'm pretty sure we will turn it around.

40 is the magic number of points we need to beat relegation. Last season this would have achieved 15th place in the league.

To achieve this we would require 4 points per month.

If we are to better this and achieve 6 points per month we would beat Wolves last season with a haul of 60 points, 7th.

For now let's aim to beat relegation.

August

Tottenham - Loss

Bournemouth - Loss

Everton -  Predicted Draw

Crystal Palace - Predicted Win

Predicted Points - 4

Current Points - 0

We still have the chance to pick up 6 points, and we certainly have the chance to achieve 4 points still this month. Roll on Friday, let's get some points on the board!

38 points is the magic number, we stayed up with that under Sherwood and in one of the Lambert seasons.

Brighton stayed up on 36 points last season btw.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Last season 35 points was enough to avoid the drop

Only issue is last season was pretty poor league. From early on you could see relegation teams was going to come from Huddersfield, Fulham (both were pretty much relegated by November) and Cardiff/Burnley/Brighton. Brighton only really fell into things from January and so replaced Burnley who were awful first half of the season.

This season it looks far more competitive, teams like Southampton and Watford who've lost their first two will improve I thhk, Norwich and Sheffield United already got points on the board etc.