Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

5 hours ago, Mantis said:

Except Man United, who will continue to spank us as per usual. The psychological edge they have over us seems unbreakable at this point.

That is why McGin was sent to us from the future and why Fergie tried to stop him by offering us £50 mil. He’s here to destroy Man U. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We will really see the true new Villa when all of our new players are up to speed and have had a couple of months under Dean Smith. They have to get used to both the speed and intensity of the league. What we saw on Saturday was encouraging, it showed we can and will score against the top teams. I’ve no doubt that had Nakamba and Douglas been fit and up to speed you’d have seen a different 2nd half on Saturday. That spurs midfield is extremely strong and athletic, and then they get to bring an Erikssen on! We’ll not be up against midfields like that too often. That said, we have to improve and will improve. As long as we can obtain enough points to stay in the mix over the next 2-3 months we’ll be fine IMO. We should keep improving with the squad we have. 

• Like 1

The manufacturers of the foam spray must be delighted now that the refs use twice as much at free kicks having to make both a line for the wall and one for where the attackers can stand.

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

After one game it looks like only Brighton and Burnley managed wins for our rivals.

I was very suprised by the Brighton result.

Hopefully Watford are also a team that struggles this season.

There aren’t any obvious candidates for relegation this season IMO, other than Norwich. I honestly think you could look at 10 teams and not be sure that they could avoid a relegation fight. It’ll be tight, where 2 wins on the bounce might propel a team 5 or 6 places come January. 

• Like 1

I think our defensive quality on Saturday makes me more confident going into the rest of the season.  I thought we'd rely on trying to out score the oppo again but look like we have more than one plan.  It'll take time though.

I can't believe the Dean Smith thread has got closed because of an argument after one game though :lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think our defensive quality on Saturday makes me more confident going into the rest of the season.  I thought we'd rely on trying to out score the oppo again but look like we have more than one plan.  It'll take time though.

I can't believe the Dean Smith thread has got closed because of an argument after one game though :lol:

The funny thing is, it's not even been locked because of arguments about the game. :crylaugh:

• Like 1

On 11/08/2019 at 10:22, Jareth said:

We're 16th. Therefore achieving the season's aim!

Pretty sure when I first started following football seriously in the late 90s they'd never show the table until the 3rd game as it was utterly pointless. Certainly MOTD never used to.

17 hours ago, wilko154 said:

If's and But's

40 is the magic number of points we need to beat relegation. Last season this would have achieved 15th place in the league.

To achieve this we would require 4 points per month.

If we were to better this and achieve 6 points per month we would beat Wolves last season with a haul of 60 points, 7th.

For now let's aim to beat relegation.

August

Tottenham - Loss

Bournemouth - Predicted Win

Everton -  Predicted Draw

Crystal Palace - Predicted Win

Predicted Points - 7

Current Points - 0

Let's see how we get on. Last seasons prediction's saw us win 10 on the bounce and move from 14th to 5th.

38 points is usually the magic number. We stayed up under Sherwood with that haul and I think in one of the Lambert seasons we finished on that.

You'd have to be pretty unlucky and have terrible GD to go down with that haul.

Was at Bloodstock festival yesterday. What did people make of Newcastle v Arsenal? Did Joenlithon look much better than Wesley? Looking at options they only have Muto as backup forward sub, not sure what's happened to Dwight Gayle.

Think Newcastle will have major issues scoring goals so many more 0-0s and 1-0 defeats coming their way while SB is their manager. We should finish above them and stay up.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Was at Bloodstock festival yesterday. What did people make of Newcastle v Arsenal? Did Joenlithon look much better than Wesley? Looking at options they only have Muto as backup forward sub, not sure what's happened to Dwight Gayle.

Think Newcastle will have major issues scoring goals so many more 0-0s and 1-0 defeats coming their way while SB is their manager. We should finish above them and stay up.

Think both Saint-Maxime and Almiron looked very good.

Other than that, not much.

After the Shelvey-Willems sub they were utter shambles.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Think both Saint-Maxime and Almiron looked very good.

Other than that, not much.

After the Shelvey-Willems sub they were utter shambles.

Almrion is very quick but pretty sure I read he hasn't scored or made an assist yet? Other guy was a decent player in France so think that might be a good signing for them.

It's already shaping up to be a typical SB team isn't it, deep defence, workmanlike midfield and hope one of the front 3 conjurs up a goal to win the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Think Bruce might get sacked as early as October.

The toxic atmosphere among the fans will leave Mike Ashley no choice.

Leave him in for the VP game ffs. Still annoyed Sunderland sacked MON a week or so before we beat them 6-1.

8 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

There aren’t any obvious candidates for relegation this season IMO, other than Norwich. I honestly think you could look at 10 teams and not be sure that they could avoid a relegation fight. It’ll be tight, where 2 wins on the bounce might propel a team 5 or 6 places come January. 

Would you not lump sheff utd into that category also?

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Would you not lump sheff utd into that category also?

I think Sheffield Utd have more about them than Norwich, much more fight to drag a draw from the jaws of defeat, or a win from a draw. They’re better defensively, also. It’s those reasons why I think they have as good a chance of staying up as a few others. 

• Like 1