Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Norwich look heavily reliant on Pukki to me, but if stays fit he will bang in a decent amount of goals. Enough to keep them up, I have doubts. I feel like they will have quite a bright start and then struggle massively in the 2nd half of the season, whereas we will get stronger.

My 3 to go down currently are:

Norwich, Palace, Newcastle

Not in any particular order.

49 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It’s almost like they want to provoke a fairly large, sometimes reactionary fan base into phoning them to argue otherwise.

They even took the time out to slate our new favourite son in Mings, just to really try and rattle our cages. Durham is a tool, always looking to say inflammatory things about Villa. 

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It looks like training was at VP today, do you think that’s to make it feel more familiar to those new signings who have never played there?

I would imagine it's a combination of things. Get the new lads out there, check out the surface, soak it up a bit. Change of scenery. 

• Like 1

some stats i find interesting about our last and one to last seasons in the Prem last time (so 2014/15 & 2015/16 season).

2014/15 season:

- We had a winless run of 9 early in the season.

- Followed by a 12 game winless run beyond mid season.

- we stayed up with 38 points, placed 17th (W10 - D8 - L20)

2015/16 season:

- Relegated bottom, 17 points (W3 - D8 - L27)

- Won first game of season, then went on a 19 game winless run.

- This was then followed by a 13 game winless run at the end of the season.

boggles the mind.

Total points

Category A - Spurs Man City Liverpool - 0 points                                                                                   0                                                   

category B - Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton , Wolves, Leicester - 1 point (sneak a draw)            6

category C - other 10 teams 1 win either home or away.                                                                        30

36

I know it's not going to work out like this, and obviously we shouldn't be going into games O'Leary esque hoping for small defeats /draws. But if we're realistic this would probably keep us up. I can see us getting more than 1 off Wolves, but our record against the first three in b is awful. 

This would mean 4 points out of Bournemouth and Everton would be good.

We'll stay up by winning games in our mini league of 11. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

Total points

Category A - Spurs Man City Liverpool - 0 points                                                                                   0                                                   

category B - Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton , Wolves, Leicester - 1 point (sneak a draw)            6

category C - other 10 teams 1 win either home or away.                                                                        30

36

I know it's not going to work out like this, and obviously we shouldn't be going into games O'Leary esque hoping for small defeats /draws. But if we're realistic this would probably keep us up. I can see us getting more than 1 off Wolves, but our record against the first three in b is awful. 

This would mean 4 points out of Bournemouth and Everton would be good.

We'll stay up by winning games in our mini league of 11. 

36 points would only see you safe in 11 of the last 23 seasons so might need to find a couple more points than that.

• Like 1

This is not particularly relevant, but I have always been amazed by the relegation stats of Leicester City in the season Villa last won the title. On their way to finishing one off the bottom in 80-81, the Foxes chalked up no less than SIX away victories. Their home record was pretty creditable too (seven wins and five draws). One place above them, Norwich also suffered the drop, despite notching NINE home wins and four on their travels. A 42-game season, I know, but still seems darned unlucky.

On 14/08/2019 at 03:51, villalad21 said:

Villa Park is so beautiful.

Watched Bournemouth v Sheff Utd the other night then Burnley v Southampton last night................both games reminded me just how amazing Villa Park is!

Seems to be a perception half the premier league is rubbish. Watched Burnley at Arsenal today and they played very well and could've easily got a point. That will be another hard game for us in a few weeks in another winnable home game.

Last 15 minutes Bournemouth were very streetwise and were very good in running down the clock and nulifying any momentum we had. If we'd been 2-1 up you'd suspect we'd have just been hoofing the ball in any direction.

All part of growing at this level again but my fear is some of these experienced premier league teams will have a bit too much nous for us when we play likes of Watford and Southampton.

We should finish above Newcastle though. Trouble is that might only mean 19th at this point.

• Like 1

We've been away 3 years and it has improved a lot since then!

We just need to be better than 3 other teams this season. Thats all.

• Like 2

Just now, AVTuco said:

I just hate this losing. If it continues, I'd rather we went down.

We could lose 20 games this season and stay up. You'd rather get relegated than that? Burnley lost 20 games but finished 15th, 6 points clear of 18th.

Last season Spurs lost 13 games and still finished 3rd. Leicester lost 16 and finished 9th (as did West Ham a place lower).

Reality is the top teams are so strong home and away you can finish top 10 and still lose nearly half your games. Way football has gone in last 20 years and inbalance in the top leagues now.

If's and But's

Almost don't want to do this now, but I'm pretty sure we will turn it around.

40 is the magic number of points we need to beat relegation. Last season this would have achieved 15th place in the league.

To achieve this we would require 4 points per month.

If we are to better this and achieve 6 points per month we would beat Wolves last season with a haul of 60 points, 7th.

For now let's aim to beat relegation.

August

Tottenham - Loss

Bournemouth - Loss

Everton -  Predicted Draw

Crystal Palace - Predicted Win

Predicted Points - 4

Current Points - 0

We still have the chance to pick up 6 points, and we certainly have the chance to achieve 4 points still this month. Roll on Friday, let's get some points on the board!