Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

8 minutes ago, jim said:

Many on here where mocking their naivety for not buying players. Not sure whether it was just arrogance because of the amount of money we spent though.

There were villa fans who thought we could finish top half because of who we signed. 

• Like 1

I remember when Lambert was head honcho and people were moaning because we were only just about surviving, despite him have hardly any money to spend, yet with Smith in charge it seems most see survival as a big acheivement despite him having had money than any other Villa manger in the history of the club, and more than most other Premier league sides this summer. I personally agree that if we survive this year, then that will have been a good season, but with the money spent can understand why some would expect better than just surviving.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I remember when Lambert was head honcho and people were moaning because we were only just about surviving, despite him have hardly any money to spend, yet with Smith in charge it seems most see survival as a big acheivement despite him having had money than any other Villa manger in the history of the club, and more than most other Premier league sides this summer. I personally agree that if we survive this year, then that will have been a good season, but with the money spent can understand why some would expect better than just surviving.

If you can't see the difference in the situations then you've gone mad. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Any villa fan who expects better than just surviving is a fool and will be part of our problems if they start to express negativity at games because their foolish expectations aren't met. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, useless said:

The average spend per player was about £10millon. (Not sure if you heard the interview with purslow, but he confirmed that - 12 new players, about £120millon spent not including add-ons). 

So, when you look at it like that we have bought 12 x 10million pound players to replace the 12 that we released at the end of last season. You’d expect that some of those were better quality than what we had previously, maybe, but they weren’t premier league proven. 

So, actually, I don’t think our expectations should have been that we will ‘do a wolves’ this season, but instead survival was what we are aiming for. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There were villa fans who thought we could finish top half because of who we signed. 

There were fans on here being overly confident against Bournemouth as well. An established Premier League side.

Reality check for people on Saturday. We are the underdog in almost every single game we play.

Get real people.

• Like 2

Just now, useless said:

Well I'd say that Smith is in a much more Advantageous position as VIlla manager than Lambert ever was.

What is comparing him to lambert achieving or trying to prove? 

Adds nothing to the debate and is utterly pointless.

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Substantial increase in player value since then.

The league being more competitive. 

Lambert inheriting a squad that, while lacking, had proven to be able to stay up. Not such a massive rebuild necessary, hence not as much money needed (even adjusting for inflation).

Dean Smith actually achieving something as an Aston Villa manager therefore giving him more leeway when it comes to patience from all concerned.

These are the factors at play.

Yep, Smith is in a better position than Lambert was. In part that’s timing, but the main reason is because Smith got us here in the first place to put himself in the better position.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

There were fans on here being overly confident against Bournemouth as well. An established Premier League side.

Reality check for people on Saturday. We are the underdog in almost every single game we play.

Get real people.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is setting their expectations far too high. This year is just about survival. I'm confident we will achieve that. Anything above 17th is a bonus. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jim said:

What makes you think the better quality players will hang around IF we get relegated?

I would put money on the likes of Grealish, McGinn, Trez, Heaton, Tyrone and Engels all going.

Maybe some or all of them will leave but we will get more money from their sales than we have spent. The last time we went down we couldn't give players away. Being out of the Premier league for 3 years and only have a decent manager for about 10 months of that time is damaging , and it's long term damage .

When you think about the squad Smith had when he came in and compare it to the one he's assembled it's an amazing achievement. Maybe promotion was a bit premature in our development, it's a hardship we will have to endure. 😏

If I had to gamble I would say we will come good and get the necessary points to stay up , I think Smith has the ability to turn it around,  like he did last season with less room to manoeuvre. 

21 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Sheff Utd’s first game was Bournemouth away. They got themselves 1 point there

We could easily have won yesterday if we hadn't thrown goals away. We could well have got a draw against Spurs. It's obviously too soon to point to Sheffield United and say they'll be fine and then do the same to us and say we won't. It's way too early. There has been good so far. We'll all enjoy some points as soon as possible though!

Watched Sheffield United-Palace, some thoughts:

A low quality game that from about 10th minute you could see 0-0 or 1-0 either way.

Exactly the sort of game a newly promoted team needs to win to stay up so tremendous result for Sheffield United. They hoofed it today more often than they did in the championship but they've shown today and last week they can scrap their way to around 40 points, going to be a tough team to score against and we didn't have a great record against them in the championship.

Crystal Palace are a very poor team this season. I'd be disappointed if we finished below them. Think this might be a season too far for Woy at the top level. Sheffield United put two men around Zaha, kept him well away from getting into the box and trying to win a penalty and well they offered nothing going forward.

Don't think they had a shot on target until 90th minute. You have Benteke who struggles to score five goals a season now, Ayew wasn't put on when they were losing and Townsend seems to base his seasons on scoring a wonder goal.

We simply can't go there and lose in two weeks. They're even worse at home than they are away after all.

3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

True but I would rather get to 40 points so we aren't in a last day of the season battle.

I would prefer it even more to smash the 40 points by January/February.

That only happens in going for 6th place seasons, we'd usually reach that total in the MON seasons if you look back to February in those seasons.

Think good target is to try to reach 25 points by new year. Our fixture list is much harder from January so crucial aswell.