Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

12 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I have attended both games, watched them both through a couple of times, and watched at least 30 min highlights of everyone else’s games.

I have absolutely no idea what people are concerned about.

Whilst I have no idea when out first Win will come, if we play as we have it will. Could be Everton. Could be Palace. 

Could be later. No idea, and not in the least concerned.

In fact I’m more optimistic now than I was pre season.

I honestly think we’ve played some of the best football of any side,I think the secret to Deanos style is the amount of time he has with players, his way of playing means they have to instinctively know what to play confident that teammates will be in the spaces they hit. Takes a little time to perfect as we saw last season......as does timing the frequency and areas of the Press, which is crucial.Defensively I think we’ve been sound.

But that’s all tactics and  no tactician.

I just like what I’ve seen.

Great positivity sir. I've enjoyed both games as well.

Results must appear soon though before confidence starts affecting the team.

Once the full backs are in, I think we'll start seeing some repayment for good play. We'd have beaten Bournemouth just with Targett for me.

Not one to worry about yet, but I hope we have an alternative system up our sleeve. We've played well in the two games so far, but we're likely to have two or three losses in a row this season not playing well, change of shape is something stark to try that could stop that happening.

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not sure you can say that. Taylor made a tackle when Bournemouth had an open goal. That would have been 3-0 and game over.

Targett would have bagged 4 on his own tho.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah, can't wait to see Targett and Guilbert in our side to make us world beaters.

Yep - there probably a good reason they haven't been selected. They were both poor in the final friendly.

42 minutes ago, terrytini said:

What you’ve hit on there is something that really puzzles and annoys me.

If we had had this Manager for two or more seasons of failure - or even one ! - I would have a little more understanding as to why some question his selections so stridently.

But this guy transformed us from a team heading for another Season in the Championship - at best ! - and masterminded Promotion.

The protestations are too much, too soon, and of very little faith.

Surely he gets the chance to show he knows what he is doing ?

Yep - whatever happens this season - we owe him ....and thats from someone who was sceptical about his appointment.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yep - whatever happens this season - we owe him ....and thats from someone who was sceptical about his appointment.

Yes....we don’t owe him from a sentimental point of view....we owe him a bit of faith and trust.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2019 at 11:37, terrytini said:

Couldn’t disagree more.

Agreed. 

Though we are yet to pick up any points I've seen enough to give me optimism for the rest of the season. 

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Really interesting to see Micah Richards say players were scared to play at Villa park after 7,8 games.

We really can become our own worst enemy at times. Really hope it doesn’t happen this year. 

Maybe worth a new thread. 

I'm sure there is already a home support thread. 

On Micah, he largely played (or rather didn't) under shit boring managers alongside bums like Nzogbia and Lesscott. 

We are are very different club than the one he is used to. 

Edited by av1

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm sure there is already a home support thread. 

On Micah, he largely played (or rather didn't) under shit boring managers alongside bums like Nzogbia and Lesscott. 

We are are very different club than the one he is used to. 

True. Same fans though. I already heard quite a few moans and groans on Saturday though. Another defeat or 2 and it could turn toxic.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True. Same fans though. I already heard quite a few moans and groans on Saturday though. Another defeat or 2 and it could turn toxic.

I disagree. Of course there are some prats in the crowd, I've got one behind me. Every week me and son have a competition to guess how many times the prat shouts 'rubbish Villa' 

But i think the vast majority of the crowd are behind Smith 100% most the guys around me (apart from the aforementioned prat behind) are of the belief we should keep Smith even if we go down, so i think it will take a good deal more than a couple of losses to turn toxic. 

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

I disagree. Of course there are some prats in the crowd, I've got one behind me. Every week me and son have a competition to guess how many times the prat shouts 'rubbish Villa' 

But i think the vast majority of the crowd are behind Smith 100% most the guys around me (apart from the aforementioned prat behind) are of the belief we should keep Smith even if we go down, so i think it will take a good deal more than a couple of losses to turn toxic. 

Hope you're right mate. I really do. 

On 19/08/2019 at 21:01, Pimlico_Villa said:

I actually disagree with that. Going down two nil so early against Bournemouth completely changed the dynamic of the game: they had a lead to protect and were happy to allow us possession and chase the game whilst they mainly looked to attack on the counter. Point being, is that I'm not convinced that we would have generated the same possession and chance creation statistics if it had been nil nil for a longer duration: perversely, it was actually the making of those mistakes that allowed us to play well for the rest of the game.

Put more simply, us playing well for the remainder effectively flattered to deceive as it was only because Bournemouth were comfortable with us having the onus. I appreciate that is a pessimistic view, though, and others might see it differently. 

On your latter point, I am indeed dubious that we will struggle to stop the mistakes, mainly because of an inability - or, I suspect more likely, a tactical reluctance from Smith - to play the game at tempo. Maybe that will come as we adapt to the League, but if we continue to pass the ball a) so slowly; and b) so predictably square, then we are very easy to read and therefore vulnerable to losing the ball from a high press. This isn't a question of squad capability, as you reference, but more the tactical direction from Smith. This is not a League for slow motion football and we need more movement, more zip and to utilise angles better. 

More broadly, I just cannot see us getting the goals we need. The way we play inherently places pressure on goals from midfield, yet non of our midfielders are prolific goal scorers. Yes, they do score goals, but historically not at the rate that would be needed for this system to work. I would be doing as much coaching of Davis as is humanly possible - especially around his finishing - so that we at least have an alternative system to play. If Wes does not come good this month, then Davis needs to be ready to come in and hit ground running. 

Hard to argue a lot of that because it's hypothetical, but I think all of it is well reasoned. I don't agree but I think you make a valid point that Bournemouth put the onus on us.

However, I'm curious, in regards to the Bournemouth game, where do their two goals come from outside of our two mistakes? Spurs didn't score for over 70minutes against us.

On the point of mistakes, you are saying that you believe they will continue to occur, for the reasons outlined, until tactics are rectified and amended to a better standard of play.

I don't think there's any arguing that the two goals that Bournemouth scored were consequence of individual errors and had nothing to do with Smith's tactics.

The remainder of that game saw us take control of possession retention and chances created, so that's, in my view, not really a case in point for your argument.

Jota, Trezeguet, Grealish and McGinn scored or assisted 12, 18, 12 and 16 respectively in the divisions they played in last season. Half of that in the PL would be an okay haul.

Grealish and Mcginn already adding to their tally this season, and McGinn in particular showing we'll be a threat from midfield. Grealish's transition break was nice against Spurs.

Luiz's goal and even that dummy weren't half bad, all we needed was for the dummy to be in our attacking third and not theirs! Might have been a stroke of genius.

While I'm not disagreeing with you in regards to where goals will come from, or am I super confident in individuals who are yet to prove themselves, I'm not pessimistic either.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m just watching best goals from 2000/2001 season and I’m sure the standard is so much higher now. Some of the defending is abysmal. You don’t see that anymore.

On odd ocassions I have nostalgic fix of MOTD highlights from late 90s (some Youtube channel basically recorded all of them, think it's TJ sports). Anyway even the top teams in those days were far easier to score against, you had likes of Phil Babb falling over in possesion and likes of Coventry and Southampton regularly scoring 3 goals against them. Now you just have Van Dijk breezing past strikers.

Premier league is overhyped in many areas but I do think it's improved lots in last 5 years with Klopp, Pep and Pochettino coming in and improving the pressing of the top teams in the league and so that filters down.

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

On odd ocassions I have nostalgic fix of MOTD highlights from late 90s (some Youtube channel basically recorded all of them, think it's TJ sports). Anyway even the top teams in those days were far easier to score against, you had likes of Phil Babb falling over in possesion and likes of Coventry and Southampton regularly scoring 3 goals against them. Now you just have Van Dijk breezing past strikers.

Premier league is overhyped in many areas but I do think it's improved lots in last 5 years with Klopp, Pep and Pochettino coming in and improving the pressing of the top teams in the league and so that filters down.

I think the PL teams doing well in European competitions is a good indicator of how it compares to other leagues too

Edited by alreadyexists