Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, Elton said:

Jim, smoking is bad for your health and so is negativity. I bet you even think Man City are going to beat us in the final when we all know we’re coming home with the trophy.

I think you are being very negative. You haven’t detailed how we are going to win the league.

Edited by briny_ear

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Last season would suggest you're wrong.

We didn’t win anything last year. I don’t think DS has ever won anything as a manager? Not that I’m aware of anyway.

I remember being at the Brentford game last season. Somehow, Brentford found themselves 1-2 up. Everyone was getting agitated and calling for Bruce to be sacked, quite rightly to be fair. The guy sat next to me said “get Smith in, he’ll sort us out!” I asked him “why do you want Smith?” After a long pause “his team plays good football and he’s Villa”.  I replied “to be fair mate, the guy who everybody wants to be sacked has picked a team that ripped Brentford to shreds for the first 45 minutes and should have been 4 or 5 up”.

Fast forward 18 months. Smith is in charge of Villa. One of the Brentford defenders is now in our team and everyone rips us to pieces. Absolutely everybody. Surely part of playing good football is being able to defend. We cannot even do the basics. It has always been the case with his teams. Why do you think anything will change now? With him in charge we will always lose too many games through poor defending to seriously challenge for the Championship. History tells us all we need to know

11 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We didn’t win anything last year. I don’t think DS has ever won anything as a manager? Not that I’m aware of anyway.

I remember being at the Brentford game last season. Somehow, Brentford found themselves 1-2 up. Everyone was getting agitated and calling for Bruce to be sacked, quite rightly to be fair. The guy sat next to me said “get Smith in, he’ll sort us out!” I asked him “why do you want Smith?” After a long pause “his team plays good football and he’s Villa”.  I replied “to be fair mate, the guy who everybody wants to be sacked has picked a team that ripped Brentford to shreds for the first 45 minutes and should have been 4 or 5 up”.

Fast forward 18 months. Smith is in charge of Villa. One of the Brentford defenders is now in our team and everyone rips us to pieces. Absolutely everybody. Surely part of playing good football is being able to defend. We cannot even do the basics. It has always been the case with his teams. Why do you think anything will change now? With him in charge we will always lose too many games through poor defending to seriously challenge for the Championship. History tells us all we need to know

He won a playoff final, and therefore he won promotion.

My current feeling is that I would be happy for Smith to be given the chance to bring us back up. When Burnley got relegated, they were pretty competitive throughout the year, and stuck with Dyche. They were promoted again the following season. I am prepared to see if Smith could do the same. I reserve the right to change my mind over the remainder of the season.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I have no doubt we would piss the championship next year. 

No Jack opens up many questions.

The thought of watching Wes losing out to Rotherham defenders time after time makes me sad.

We absolutely must keep McGinn if we do drop.

3 hours ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

I actually think West Ham and Norwich  have gone and the last place is ours or Watfords - going to be very close -  i would take 38 points now - 13 points from 11 games and hope thats enough 

Spammers aren't gone yet,

Bournemouth, Brighton, Palace, Newcastle, Southampton aren't out of it yet. Especially the first two.

A draw would have been perfect, but I had a friend watching it with me, he said the game is finished. I told him knowing my team in the last two years, we'll either win or lose in the last minute. It ended dramatically but we go again. We won against Brighton and Watford the same way. We went to Wembley in a last minute winner. So can't complain.

I didn't want to open the forum as it was hard to accept. But in reality it's not as we use to be by just losing in the last minute. We're doing both.

We played ok. I think we have a good chance giving anyone a good game. If we can be out of the relegation zone going to the final, I think that would put us in a good position.

• Like 2

Relegation would still be a massive disappointment to me. It's too easy to accept it given what we already had (we simply have one of the best players outside the elite), the money we spent (although it's not always as simple as we've seen with some of the guys we've signed) the owners and CEO being engaged with the club and the momentum we had from the play off win.

It's all ground to a halt now.

Yes we could go down and lose Grealish and probably Mings given he's a regular in England squad.

So we have to try and sign players to replace Grealish and Mings who can give us top 2 in championship.

Not so hard. Harder to have the another summer of signing 6-7 players who can give us comfortable survival in the premier league.

I'd rather stay up, keep Grealish, sign a couple of top level players and go from there but that might just be me.

• Like 2

Relegation would be a disaster simple as that with the $$$$ the money spend. There is no guarantees we will come straight up either to.Sheff Utd spend next to nothing they look so organised and well drilled compared to us and better coached.

2 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Sheff Utd spend next to nothing they look so organised and well drilled compared to us and better coached.

We'll look a lot better when core of players have been playing together several seasons like SU

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Relegation would be a disaster simple as that with the $$$$ the money spend. There is no guarantees we will come straight up either to.Sheff Utd spend next to nothing they look so organised and well drilled compared to us and better coached.

I'd be amazed if it took three years like the period we've just had. Last time we came down we really could've been down there for a at least 5 years with the mess we were in. Instead we had one transitional season and we could've easily got up in two years if we'd played better v Fulham. Then from a near impossible position we got promoted in year three.

It should be a quicker escape this time given we know what the league is about and indeed the manager and many in the squad have spent lots of time down there. Guess getting a FFP points deduction would complicate things.

Ultimately though it requires a good goalscorer (Abraham) a creative midfielder and some solid pace and strength at the back and you're in the top 6. As we saw in our seasons better to loan some of these players in than actually sign them for 12m (although having options to buy once we actually get up would be good).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We'll look a lot better when core of players have been playing together several seasons like SU

We don't have that time and the problem is I don't see it we can't do the basics right first off defend concede so many poor goals. 

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Never a given. We had the same group for two and a half years under Lambert and got worse every season at both ends. If you don't have enough quality at both ends players won't start winning more matches just because a new season starts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

We don't have that time and the problem is I don't see it we can't do the basics right first off defend concede so many poor goals. 

Spurs conceded 2 more and scored 1 more against us than against Man City at home last game.

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Never a given. We had the same group for two and a half years under Lambert and got worse every season at both ends. If you don't have enough quality at both ends players won't start winning more matches just because a new season starts.

We lost Benteke and then we went down .

Heaton

Guilbert, Konsa, hause  ?        ?

Hourihane nakamba

El ghazi Samatta  ?

Im not saying this is good enough but it's the start of a good championship squad.

Think if we drop we lose targett, mcginn, grealish mings Douglas luiz. I reckon same as last year we already have 2 shopping lists. 

How can you guys see us down and surrender? We showed fight and it should’ve been a draw really. I know its hard to accept, but the last minute winner against Watford is much more valuable than the draw that been a lost yesterday.

As long as we’re pocking points and fighting and not even in the relegation zones then thats great.

A huge huge weekend at Southampton. We need something from that. With the hope that our rivals keep losing points. 

The 4-0 Arsenal gave Newcastle might help dragging them, Palace have tricky 6 pointers. Southampton form is declining and we could pull them down to the race.

Nothing has finished. The best scenario is if we can be out of relegation zone even when we don’t play against Sheff Utd. 

Still long way to go, and we’ve shown fight! Some says Spurs don’t have their best striker, then again we don’t have our best defender nor midfielder.

• Like 3