Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Southampton is the next must win, how many of those have we had now? A win makes all the difference to the atmosphere around the club. Win that and we can start feeling hopeful again. Lose it and it’s depression city. However, until we are actually relegated, then we need to keep going. It might well go to the last game, it might not. But a positive result can lead to another, so all is not lost yet. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

As I said on another thread, it was 50-50 before the game, and it's still 50-50 now. If Man City beat West Ham as expected in midweek, we'll go into the game at Southampton outside the bottom three. However, we simply have to win that game at this point.

Worry for me is we'll go into a spiral now similar to our xmas run. We looked a proper championship outfield for three weeks after Leicester thrashed us and were very lucky to beat Norwich in the game we did win.

We could easily lose at Southampton with another Bournemouth style feeling sorry for ourselves game. They also have one of the best strikers in the league and did a great job on us at VP. After that we have Leicester and Chelsea which could easily be defeats. Indeed if Newcastle game gets cancelled we could then have Wolves and Liverpool.

Yet again we've had a big win in the season and failed to build on it properly (Leicester). Seems it's been a running theme since Lambert years. We have odd good win in season but can simply never build on it.

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Southampton is the next must win, how many of those have we had now? A win makes all the difference to the atmosphere around the club. Win that and we can start feeling hopeful again. Lose it and it’s depression city. However, until we are actually relegated, then we need to keep going. It might well go to the last game, it might not. But a positive result can lead to another, so all is not lost yet. 

What about a draw? I'd be more than happy with a point next week after today's disaster and also a point v Leicester and Chelsea. Would mean the task to get to 38 points is much easier going into April games than what I suspect it will be.

To be quite honest, I'm ready for the Championship again. We've been promoted just to be the whipping boys and it's bloody depressing. 

No VAR while being one of the big boys in the Championship, happy days. 

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Worry for me is we'll go into a spiral now similar to our xmas run. We looked a proper championship outfield for three weeks after Leicester thrashed us and were very lucky to beat Norwich in the game we did win.

We could easily lose at Southampton with another Bournemouth style feeling sorry for ourselves game. They also have one of the best strikers in the league and did a great job on us at VP. After that we have Leicester and Chelsea which could easily be defeats. Indeed if Newcastle game gets cancelled we could then have Wolves and Liverpool.

Yet again we've had a big win in the season and failed to build on it properly (Leicester). Seems it's been a running theme since Lambert years. We have odd good win in season but can simply never build on it.

We're just going to have to get some points in that run of games. It won't be easy - and our record against top sides is the opposite of promising - but if we don't, we'll be going down.

It's certainly going to be hard to pick the spirits up after this result, for sure.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

What about a draw? I'd be more than happy with a point next week after today's disaster and also a point v Leicester and Chelsea. Would mean the task to get to 38 points is much easier going into April games than what I suspect it will be.

A draw would be acceptable for me. Points are points and all are welcome. In isolation a point away from home is always a good result, but when we’ve just lost two in a row, three would be a huge help. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

To be quite honest, I'm ready for the Championship again. We've been promoted just to be the whipping boys and it's bloody depressing. 

No VAR while being one of the big boys in the Championship, happy days. 

But it's our failings that's let us be the whipping boys. To be honest , we've hardly been the whipping boys. When we lose, it's mostly been by a single goal. Our own poor recruitment, individual errors, poor in game management etc that's been the difference this season. If we'd seen out a couple more of these games we'd be mid table now.

• Like 1

Yeah a draw is better than nothing. The inability to hold on to leads then inability to hold on to draws is costing us. Our defence will be our undoing this season. 

Although, part of me does wonder if we'd have won that game if Mings started. 

Just now, turvontour said:

But it's our failings that's let us be the whipping boys. To be honest , we've hardly been the whipping boys. When we lose, it's mostly been by a single goal. Our own poor recruitment, individual errors, poor in game management etc that's been the difference this season. If we'd seen out a couple more of these games we'd be mid table now.

We're just always a shit Premier League club. Nothing fun about it whatsoever and has been the case for the best part of a decade. 

7 minutes ago, supermon said:

Yeah a draw is better than nothing. The inability to hold on to leads then inability to hold on to draws is costing us. Our defence will be our undoing this season. 

Although, part of me does wonder if we'd have won that game if Mings started. 

We'd have won comfortably with Mings.

I said in the prematch thread that Engels would struggle massively against this front 3, and so it proved. Even if Mings made the mistake at the end, he would have caught Son up or be in the position to make a last ditch tackle.

I think we’ll go down tbh. We’ve given it a good go but the players we signed in the summer just won’t get us over the line. Smith will look back on it and know he messed a few things up but ultimately, I don’t think he was given the tools to succeed. 

This is something I think I’ll be posting with 3/4 games to go anyway. I’ll keep the faith but defensively, with Drinkwater sitting in front, we’re just not good enough to stop conceding. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Farlz said:

We're just always a shit Premier League club. Nothing fun about it whatsoever and has been the case for the best part of a decade. 

I agree. We have been for the last decade. What really annoys me about us this season and our lack of results is three things.

1) we have Grealish, the best player outside of the top clubs by a mile. Even with him playing out of his skin, as a team we've been poor, and you wouldn't now begrudge him a move.

2) we spent a lot of money on a lot of players who in the most part have not proved their worth.

3) this is the weakest premier league in years. Spurs were there for the taking today, as they were start of the season. You cant usually say that. I wouldn't mind if it was a great PL season full of quality, but the standards been so poor. A top half place is there for anyone who is vaguely competent. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Farlz said:

We don't have to be. We have players who'll be courted by better teams at end of the season (although that was also true in 2016 and that was a terrible team). We have ambitious owners who are currently in tune with the club unlike Lerner in his last 5 seasons here.

Ultimately we simply haven't signed enough decent players in all areas. We needed a Samatta type striker in the summer. We needed another solid no frills CB in either window. It was all so preventable but yet again we've been sucked into signing too many "projects" in key areas of the pitch yet again and this gets exposed against the better sides as we've seen all season.

Really frustrating to see potentially a very good team could be relegated, I truly believe if this team stays up and there are very good core players.

Grealish, Targets, Konsa, Mings, Guilbert, Luiz, El Ghazi, Samatta and obviously Grealish.

It would be sad to see them all leave with us being so close to surviving relegation. 

• Like 1

We should survive if we can beat Southampton (A), Sheff U (H), Newcastle (A) and Palace (H), as well as picking up a couple of draws against either United, Wolves, Leicester, Everton or Arsenal. 

It's a massive ask, and something has to change in the way we defend. What value is Terry bringing as AC? We can't keep freaking out and inviting pressure for the last 15 minutes, that has come back to bite us time and time again. We can't keep panicking when we are closed down by the opposition. We can't keep giving the ball away in our own half, and we certainly should give up on this weird experiment of playing Drinkwater in the hope he gets match fit and winds the clock back five years. The problem is that probably none of our CBs are quite good enough at this level other than Mings. Konsa will be one day but still makes a lot of mistakes. It could as easily have been Konsa giving away that goal as Engels. 

If, IF, Grealish and Mings are fit for the rest of the season, and McGinn returns and is in his best form, we could do it. 

I'm naturally a pessimist as my posting history will tell you. I can't help it. I just wish that being a pessimist didn't also make me a realist, but it has. One things for sure, we need the fans behind us for those crucial home games. We really can be the 12th man.