Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

From watching in the Championship last season, to watching Premiership football now, it seems its all about the pressing and the speed the game plays at.  As well as tactical style ofcourse, it's alot to do with fitness levels.

I believe we are struggling as we are not at those levels as yet. The Man City vs Tottenham game the weekend was ridiculous.  To me the Wolves don't play great tactical football, but the fitness is another level.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m just watching best goals from 2000/2001 season and I’m sure the standard is so much higher now. Some of the defending is abysmal. You don’t see that anymore.

Definitely. It’s a much higher standard since we were last here too. Management/tactics/player standard at all clubs is higher every season.

My opinions of the player performance versus Everton (23.08.19).

Wesley was a monster, bullied them, some excellent play, his run and finishing for the goal was great, he played a critical role in the second, taking it down, holding it up and laying it off, we scored 2 passes later.

Jota was class, excellent assist and some lovely passing.

Engels was class, didnt put a foot wrong.

Mings was class also, just needs to cut out some of those holywood passes, just needs to find his man sometimes.

Guilbert was great, bombed up and down, really helped us going forward, and defended really well.

Heaton was steady, didnt have much to do, tbh.

Trezeguet was quiet but worked hard, you could see taylor really hindered him, no support.

Taylor was gash for me, did ok defensively, but some terrible passes and he had a great chance to hit a low cross in and we would have prob had a good chance, but he ballooned it, need targett imo, Taylor really hindered Trezeguet.

Was close for MOM for me, gave it to Wesley, but Jota wasnt far behind imo,  but some really good performances overall.

I am away on holiday with the family so had to make do with watching the match on the iPad. The thing that really stood out to me (and was also commented on by Sky) was the support. The crowd were unbelievable. We haven’t had support like that for years and you could really see it lift the players.

I really believe that we are potentially on the cusp of something special. What we really need is to just stay up this season. If we can do that then we can/will really kick on. The crowd can really play their part with that. Well done to all who attended tonight. The atmosphere was electric. I actually felt pretty emotional watching it. It really was special. I thought Gary Neville was gonna rip his Oxford cotton shirt off and reveal a Villa shirt underneath, such waS his enthusiasm for the club. Really fantastic.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Everton fans really are salty looking at their forum.

Apparently were awful, a limited side and not going to win another game before Christmas.

Well if we don't they're in big trouble too. 

Early days and not the easiest start but I think all the players involved have done well without excelling yet. 

Good competition and attitude among the players. Others could have sulked for being dropped but El Ghazi came on hungry

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Everton fans really are salty looking at their forum.

Apparently were awful, a limited side and not going to win another game before Christmas.

I did exactly this with Southampton when they turned up - it's complacent premier league smugness. I don't blame them, it's what happens, but there is nothing like relegation and promotion to make you value this league. And if fans feel it, you can just imagine how seriously the players are taking this season. 

If's and But's

And we're off! What a result and performance to go with it.

40 is the magic number of points we need to beat relegation. Last season this would have achieved 15th place in the league.

To achieve this we would require 4 points per month.

If we are to better this and achieve 6 points per month we would beat Wolves last season with a haul of 60 points, 7th.

For now let's aim to beat relegation.

August

Tottenham - Loss

Bournemouth - Loss

Everton -  Win

Crystal Palace - Predicted Win

Predicted Points - 6

Current Points - 3

We now have the chance to make August a solid month and set ourselves on course to pull away from a relegation battle.

• Like 1

The win makes all the difference, you can hear the sadness in all the articles on Grealish breaking his losing run and Villa getting their first prem win in 3 years, they all wanted it to continue. Instead we can look at Spurs and Bournemouth as warm up games and look forward to Palace with some confidence throughout the team - honestly think we'll win that because we won this one.