Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's poor but "absolutely abysmal" is a bit of an overstatement, and saying "I can't say I hold out much hope of us surviving this season" after 4 games seems a bit much, especially when in two of those games we've been victims of some of the worst refereeing you'll ever see.

We'll carry on getting terrible decisions because we aren't a big 6 team. A point here and there could really cost us. It's going to be a long long season and I hope we can just about collapse over the line. 

The pressure on us at home against West Ham on the Monday night is going to be massive, we're already in the relegation zone and by then everyone else will have also played an extra game, so we could be further adrift, we'll need a win because our next game after that is away to Arsenal, getting nothing from the next two and we could be deepley entrenched into that bottom three. This is why even at this early stage of the season we need other results do go our way.

Our team is completely unbalanced and lacking the physicality needed to compete at this level. Grealish is played too deep, Luiz and McGinn rarely win anything in the air or in the tackle even if they are good with the ball when not crowded out.

Hate to say it but Davis today was much better holding up the ball than Wes today but regardless he was isolated.

Jota and Trez offered nothing. Even Engels was crap today, Mings not much better. Taylor was useless also but doubt we can drop him now.

Palace are a good side, but not that good, getting outplayed like this is incredibly worrying. West Ham are a better side and likely to batter us if we play the same way.

I applaud Dean going with attacking football, but he needs to make us hard to beat also, I would actually play Lansbury and Nakamba vs West Ham and drop Luiz and Trez .

Heaton

Guilbert - Engels - Mings - Taylor

Nakamba
McGinn - Lansbury - Grealish

------- El Ghazi
------- Wes

Guilbert would have to get fwd to get some crosses in, would say Taylor but he can't cross for toffee.

Far too early to draw firm conclusions with this new set of players. Today a ridiculous decision was the difference between a decent point with 10 men against a tough ref and nothing. Tenth down is 4 points, then us on 3 - albeit not all played 4 games. We are in games at the moment, but not yet fully firing.  

Praying for a miracle in the Everton v Wolves game. If Everton win then at least we will still be on the same amount of points as the team in seventeenth (Wolves), if Everton can somehow win by three goals it would lift us out of the relegation zone.

One thing for certain, there is no Huddersfield or Fulham in this league this year who'll roll over most weeks. Premier league looking cut throat this year.

I still think we'll be o.k. We need to finish above Newcastle (couldn't follow up their win at Spurs with home one against out of form Watford), Brighton (think they'll slowly slip down the table after their good start) and Norwich (don't think their back 4 is good enough for this level and they've conceded 10 goals already). Then you have Southampton and Watford but they tend to be streaky teams and both will go on a run at some stage. Sheffield United will also stay up. Think people are underestimating them when they look at their 11 but they are battling and keep picking up points.

Problem for us is we're going to struggle to pick up many away points up to xmas. Arsenal, Norwich, Man. City, Wolves, Chelsea and Man. United our run up to xmas. Going to badly need 2-3 Everton type performances at VP.

Think points total to stay up will be higher than last few years. Don't think 35 points will be enough given how many points Chelsea and Man. United are already dropping compared to previosu seasons.

6 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Heaton

Guilbert - Engels - Mings - Taylor

Nakamba
McGinn - Lansbury - Grealish

------- El Ghazi
------- Wes

Guilbert would have to get fwd to get some crosses in, would say Taylor but he can't cross for toffee.

I was just thinking about some kind of 4-1-3-1-1 myself. I just don't think Wesley is going to be able to be much of a match winner if he's always twenty yards ahead of the nearest player. 

• Like 1

I think some of the extreme doom and gloom is a bit misplaced.

Defeat at Spurs - was always going to be a tough game but we defended well for most of it

Defeat to Bournemouth - were the better team on balance but undone by a couple of stupid errors, and the officiating didn't help

Win over Everton - played well and won deservedly

Defeat at Palace - played poorly, but literally the only reason we didn't get a point here is because of corrupt or incompetent officials

It's a long season, but so far I've not seen anything which suggests we're not capable of staying up.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

We all knew it would be tough but 3 defeats from 4 is worrying. 

Well Everton went better than I expected and Bournemouth went worse than expected. Spurs went as expected. Today I thought we could win but 0-0 was looking likey and you obviously can't factor in red cards happening in pre match predictions.

Let's say we got three battling draws from these first four, people would probably be more excited.

We need points in the run from West Ham up to Brighton as November to middle of December is looking very tough indeed.

I'm a bit nervous at this point. The only game I think we deserved anything out of, our defence gave away 2 suicidal goals and we lost. I can't see where we're getting goals from, and our defence looks very shaky. 

Never seen such an incompetent refereeing performance in all my life. Kevin Friend was an absolute shambles and shouldn't ref another game in this league. Quite frankly blatant cheating. 

VAR can get in the bin as well. 

13 minutes ago, useless said:

The pressure on us at home against West Ham on the Monday night is going to be massive, we're already in the relegation zone and by then everyone else will have also played an extra game, so we could be further adrift, we'll need a win because our next game after that is away to Arsenal, getting nothing from the next two and we could be deepley entrenched into that bottom three. This is why even at this early stage of the season we need other results do go our way.

"Deeply entrenched" We're two points off 7th. Without looking at the lists of games after the break I know Newcastle have got Liverpool away so they're likely to stay down there with us and Watford also got Arsenal so again need to win to go above us. Teams around us won't all suddenly start winning.

Even Wolves have got a tough run against top 6 coming up (think Everton will beat them tomorrow) so they could just be having a slow start to the season with europa.

It's still too early imo. End of September/early October is time to start worrying. I remember in the first Lambert season people were still reasonably optimistic we could have a decent season and then we start losing in September/October and it became clear we wouldn't. In the McLeish season we were actually unbeaten up to middle of October somehow.

We will be o.k.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm a bit nervous at this point. The only game I think we deserved anything out of, our defence gave away 2 suicidal goals and we lost. I can't see where we're getting goals from, and our defence looks very shaky. 

You didn't think we deserved anything out of Everton?! Everton didn't have a shot on target until the hour mark. Yes we probably rode our luck with the last minutes but it was hardly backs to the wall for the majority and they're a good top half team.

• Like 1