Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Wolves haven't won, but nor have they lost, their first two games were Leicester away, and United at home, and they won't be the first team that fails to beat Burnley this season, they hadn't won after three games last season either, in fact they had one less point than they have now. Europa might cost them to a degree, but they'll still be comfortably safe from a relegation battle, unless they have some really bad luck with injuries.

Bizarre how we have almost identically matched Fulham’s results last season. 

Only difference is they lost 3-0 at home to Bournemouth rather that 2-0. 

After we beat Palace next week we can stop doing a Fulham. (They lost 2-0 in the same fixture). 

Edit: Sorry Doug.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bizarre how we have almost identically matched Fulham’s results last season. 

Only difference is they lost 3-0 at home to Bournemouth rather that 2-0. 

After we beat Palace next week we can stop doing a Fulham. (They lost 2-0 in the same fixture). 

Poor Douglas. He scores a wonder strike and you forget it!

• Haha 1

I was debating which of our team are mid to lower table players as minimum (not relegation players), hard not to over assess a player as they are our own?, but....this is what i thought.

(not debating if they can be class, top 6 players etc, just that they are at minimum, mid/lower table quality to keep us up this season).

Heaton - Definitely mid table quality?

Taylor - Mid table championship player.

Targett - unknown quantity currently, does have some Prem experience but we havent seen anything yet to prove/dis-prove his quality as a Mid/Lower Prem player, although Taylor is so poor i hope he gets his chance and takes it.

Mings - Defo mid table quality.

Engels - Defo mid table quality.

Guilbert - Only one appearance so far, but on that one appearance i assess him as mid table quality.

Elmo - ok backup for lower table squad player.

Luiz - Defo mid table quality.

Nakamba - Unknown quantity currently.

McGinn - Defo mid table quality

Grealish - Defo mid table quality.

Trezeguet - Currently i think he looks like mid table quality, time will tell if true?

Wesley - Looks mid table quality, if he continues in the current vain he should easily be mid table quality?

Jota - Currently i think he looks like mid table quality, time will tell if true?

El Ghazi - Unknown premiership quality currently, struggled first two games but scored versus Everton, however hasnt yet shown whether he is or isnt mid/lower Prem quality?

Davis/Lansbury/Hourihane/Kodjia/Konsa/Hause - Currently unknown quantity or not yet seen enough to prove/dis-prove ability as mid/lower Prem player.

On that basis, mostly we look ok for at least having a chance of avoiding relegation?, but how correct am i in these assessments do you all think?

I was chatting to a mate who supports Newcastle and we were saying how this year is going to be so tough. The quality in the league is the highest I can remember for a good while. 

I think we have started slowly but will gather steam. 

15 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I was debating which of our team are mid to lower table players as minimum (not relegation players), hard not to over assess a player as they are our own?, but....this is what i thought.

(not debating if they can be class, top 6 players etc, just that they are at minimum, mid/lower table quality to keep us up this season).

Heaton - Definitely mid table quality?

Taylor - Mid table championship player.

Targett - unknown quantity currently, does have some Prem experience but we havent seen anything yet to prove/dis-prove his quality as a Mid/Lower Prem player, although Taylor is so poor i hope he gets his chance and takes it.

Mings - Defo mid table quality.

Engels - Defo mid table quality.

Guilbert - Only one appearance so far, but on that one appearance i assess him as mid table quality.

Elmo - ok backup for lower table squad player.

Luiz - Defo mid table quality.

Nakamba - Unknown quantity currently.

McGinn - Defo mid table quality

Grealish - Defo mid table quality.

Trezeguet - Currently i think he looks like mid table quality, time will tell if true?

Wesley - Looks mid table quality, if he continues in the current vain he should easily be mid table quality?

Jota - Currently i think he looks like mid table quality, time will tell if true?

El Ghazi - Unknown premiership quality currently, struggled first two games but scored versus Everton, however hasnt yet shown whether he is or isnt mid/lower Prem quality?

Davis/Lansbury/Hourihane/Kodjia/Konsa/Hause - Currently unknown quantity or not yet seen enough to prove/dis-prove ability as mid/lower Prem player.

On that basis, mostly we look ok for at least having a chance of avoiding relegation?, but how correct am i in these assessments do you all think?

Probably about right but then if we asked fans of our rival teams to give an assessment of the team they would all probably say something similar. 

Thats why it really will be a mini league of 10 or so teams.  

So important to get optimal points from a game early on and establish ourselves as a team that can win games.

I feared for Smith in this regard, despite being confident in the team assembled on and off the pitch, nothing had been proven beyond our status in the league.

I was wary that outcomes might not be indicative of our input. or that a slow start in regards to points may bring about uncertainty Smith's plans and our direction.

Merely reminding ourselves that we were competitive and on another day could've got something from games in which we lost won't be enough. At some point results are a must.

Winning against Everton means confidence is gained and fears alleviated. The pressure that Smith and his team have on them to survive becomes approval for the time being.

In my mind, every game we play except for Arsenal between now and the end of October we need to be looking for the win in each game. It's a kind run and chance for momentum.

Taking a haul of 15 from a possible 18 would be such statement of intent that no one was expecting, it would really set us up wonderfully every way you look at it.

Crystal Palace, West Ham, Burnley, Norwich and Brighton are all games in which you would hope we add to our points total should we want to retain Premier League status.

We've not played much football since Houllier in which we've been confident of the team on the pitch, that could change with our upcoming run of fixtures.

I'm just thankful Smith has a view to win every game we play.

• Like 2

Wasn't sure where to post this, but an interesting read seeing as how many teams now developing an obsession with us.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/reactions-news-rivalries-the-top-five-rivals-of-each-premier-league-team-according-to-data-20190826?source=facebook

Not sure how to copy article in to here sorry

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Wasn't sure where to post this, but an interesting read seeing as how many teams now developing an obsession with us.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/reactions-news-rivalries-the-top-five-rivals-of-each-premier-league-team-according-to-data-20190826?source=facebook

People fear what they cannot control. The Villa train is just starting to get going. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/08/2019 at 14:26, GingerCollins29 said:

Not sure how you're taking that from those tables. It's pretty much just a chart of local derbies. Only 3 PL clubs give a shit about us, and Newcastle are the only one from any division that picked us that isn't a local derby. That's a bit silly, but it's a grudge match going back a decade or so, nothing recent.

Meanwhile, our fans have picked Man United? lol

No doubt about it three defeats from four is an absolutely abysmal start to the season, especially when two of those defeats have come at home to Bournemouth and away to Palace who are particularly poor away from home. Can't say I hold out much hope of us surviving this season, didn't buy enough in the attacking areas in the summer, we at least needed one more striker and another wide attacker.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

No doubt about it three defeats from four is an absolutely abysmal start to the season, especially when two of those defeats have come at home to Bournemouth and away to Palace who are particularly poor away from home. Can't say I hold out much hope of us surviving this season, didn't buy enough in the attacking areas in the summer, we at least needed one more striker and another wide attacker.

It's poor but "absolutely abysmal" is a bit of an overstatement, and saying "I can't say I hold out much hope of us surviving this season" after 4 games seems a bit much, especially when in two of those games we've been victims of some of the worst refereeing you'll ever see.