Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 minute ago, useless said:

There are no other teams in the league who look worse than us. Worse thing about it is with the internatinoal break we're now stranded in that bottom three for another sixteen days.

You could make an argument for at least 3 or 4 teams being just as bad or worse than us at this stage, so I don't really know where you're getting this from.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

So suddenly other teams' games and results do matter.

Of course they matter in the sense of "ah that's good Watford didn't win so they remain below us" and "Newcastle didn't win a very winnable home game today." However I'm not really pouring over who rival teams are playing, their GDs etc as I always used to do from March onwards in all those relegation battles under Lambert.

I only predicted 14th anyway on about 42 points so really plodding on at around a point a game (which will be if we get 4 points from West Ham/Burnley) is just below that.

Posters who were predicting 50 + points and top half might be thinking that looks a tough ask at the moment though!

20 minutes ago, Farlz said:

West Ham, Arsenal and Burnley our next 3 games. I'm just a little bit worried. 

You'll be in A&E when you have a look at what we have in November and December! Everton was tough but we beat them so really need to step things up at VP.

We wouldn't be the first team to stay up basically on home form. Think back to Stoke when they first came up and Burnley the other year also had ridiculous home form at Turf Moor.

Edited by VillaChris

I can't think of a team that looks worse than us, people say Newcastle, yes they have a poor manager but they also have a squad that's finished comfortably midtable in the last two seasons, it's not as if they were playing amazing football under Benitiz, and for all the stick that Joelinton gets from what I've seen of him he actually looks better than Rondon.

Just now, useless said:

I can't think of a team that looks worse than us, people say Newcastle, yes they have a poor manager but they also have a squad that's finished comfortably midtable in the last two seasons, it's not as if they were playing amazing football under Benitiz, and for all the stick that Joelinton gets from what I've seen of him he actually looks better than Rondon.

Genuinely curious as to how you can think we look worse than both Newcastle and Watford at the very least.

Because in all likelyhood those two teams probably won't continue to be as bad as they've been. Newcastle have played Leicester, Arsenal, Norwich away, and Tottenham away, a much harder run of fixtures than we've had, yet they still have two more points than us, they're nowhere near as bad as people think/hope. Watford will be comfortable midtable come the end of the season.

Just now, useless said:

Because in all likelyhood those two teams probably won't continue to be as bad as they've been. Newcastle have played Leicester, Arsenal, Norwich away, and Tottenham away, a much harder run of fixtures than we've had, yet they still have two more points than us, they're nowhere near as bad as people think/hope. Watford will be comfortable midtable come the end of the season.

So if Newcastle and Watford have the potential to play better and get better results, what makes you think we can't? Seems like double standards to me.

• Like 1

Because both Newcastle and Watford have previous form of getting results in the Premier league, they both finished comfortably midtable last season with pretty much the same sides. We don't have previous form for getting results in this division, all we know is that we've lost three of the last four.

Edited by useless

Because both Newcastle and Watford have previous form of getting results in the Premier league, they both finished comfortably midtable last season with pretty much the same sides. We don't have previous form for getting results in this division, all we know is that we've lost three of the last four.

Form in previous seasons is pretty meaningless compared to the here and now. I just think it's bizarre that you're arguing that nobody looks worse than us in this league and then when you're given two examples, you basically just go "ah but they were fine last season".

• Like 1

Considering the 11 Arsenal put out on the opening day I thought that was a very realistic game for Newcastle to take a point actually. And they crumbled at Norwich after conceding first. As long as Bruce is there they'll be down in bottom six all season imo.

Just now, useless said:

Of course form in previous seasons counts for something, it's a huge indicator as to how teams will do in the following seasons.

Going by your logic, we should've got about double or triple the points we actually did in 2015/16.

It's just bizarre logic. Watford and Newcastle both look objectively AT LEAST as bad as we do, if not worse. The fact that they were both ok last season means nothing.

Of course form in previous seasons counts for something, it's a huge indicator as to how teams will do in the following seasons.

Watford finished last season in awful form and got demolished in the cup final so shades of us from 14/15 perhaps. I still think they'll stay up though but they look like that established mid table team that might be in big trouble like West Brom and Stoke in recent seasons.

For teams as bad as us I think we need to be looking at the likes of Norwich, Brighton, Southampton, Burnley, maybe Sheffield United, Newcastle possibly but they're not sure things for the bottom three like some make out. But we're going to have to improve dramatically to have a chance of finishing above three of them. I think it might be a case of having to cling on to be in touching distance of survival come January and then hopefully bringing in the players that can propel us up the table in the new year.

For teams as bad as us I think we need to be looking at the likes of Norwich, Brighton, Southampton, Burnley, maybe Sheffield United, Newcastle possibly but they're not sure things for the bottom three like some make out. But we're going to have to improve dramatically to have a chance of finishing above three of them. I think it might be a case of having to cling on to be in touching distance of survival come January and then hopefully bringing in the players that can propel us up the table in the new year.

There comes a point when you need to start looking at how teams are performing this season instead of last season.

I mean imagine, if we were in Watford's shoes and after a decent season (but with lots of poor results at the end) we went into the next season with 1 point from 4. Would you be dismissing those with relegation concerns? Because that essentially seems to be what you're doing with Watford here.

• Like 2

The squad Newcastle had in 15/16 was miles better imo, you had in midfield two players who started the CL final ffs. Mitrovic's goals to games ratio wasn't too bad either, 9 goals in 30 games, not sure Joelinthon will do better than that. Only area they're stronger now than back then is CB and keeper. Just shows you what can happen when you appoint below average manager (McClaren) to a mid table squad. Same when West Brom appointed Alan Irvince and then wondered why they were in bottom 3 by New Year.

We need teams to look like they're almost certain to be bottom three, because unfortunately that's how we're looking results wise so far, having a few teams that look like they might be in and around the bottom three isn't comforting enough. We're unlucky that there are no teams like Fulham, Cardiff or Huddersfield with us this season.

We need teams to look like they're almost certain to be bottom three, because unfortunately that's how we're looking results wise so far, having a few teams that look like they might be in and around the bottom three isn't comforting enough. We're unlucky that there are no teams like Fulham, Cardiff or Huddersfield with us this season.

No we don't. We look like a team that will be in a relegation fight, the same of which could be said of at least half a dozen other teams.

• Like 1