Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

9 minutes ago, privateer said:

Yeah, it's a bit like when you go out with the missus and she gets a bit pissed and promises you a chin-balls blowing and you can backscuttle her afterwards.

Then the word removed falls asleep in the taxi on the way back.

It’s never stopped me ;)

• Like 1

I don't think I want it but I wonder if there is something in the Sturridge rumours. We seem very light up front otherwise. An injury or difficulty settling to Wesley and we effectively have no striker.

Or perhaps Julian Joachim is using Gibraltar as a stepping stone back to us...😂😂😂

• Like 1

If Wesley breaks his leg against Spurs and all we have is Kodjia, we have serious problems. It's bizarre not to have signed a striker after the frenzy of signings up to today. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Smith & Purslow said that we wouldn't get everything in one window. We have got the core players in and that's the matters. Because the players we brought in are versatile there is enough cover to January. For example, trez & jota can play on either wing, elmo can play further forward and Luiz or Hourihane can play either as a DM or CM.

There are currently 3 strikers competing for one position, which is fine. Kodjia is the tricky one and Davies holds the ball up to bring people into play. That is a decent balance. Goals will come either from the forward line or midfielders. No major issues. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

If Wesley breaks his leg against Spurs and all we have is Kodjia, we have serious problems. It's bizarre not to have signed a striker after the frenzy of signings up to today. 

I don’t think it is. Davis has obviously impressed, so we haven’t gone out and panic bought.  Don’t see the problem, personally. 

22 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I had a look at Stoke's Twitter feed yesterday and same thing. Some villa "fans" , " you've got yourself a great player in Hogan, never really given a chance under Bruce " Do these same fans realise Dean Smith's been the manager since October. Kinda past the sell by date to keep peddling that line. 

Sorry didn’t know how to react to this so gave the confused reaction. 

Over the few years that I’ve been on here, how many times, when there has been a rumour of one of our ‘what has been perceived/evidenced as a ‘complete/total/partial dog shit’ players been sarcastically big’ed up for any visiting/guest fan to read and cream over.

We are in a rather, I don’t know how to describe it other than ‘safe zone’ to a point where the we are protected except from the occasional troll, where as Twitter is open season.

But anyway you did highlight ‘fans’

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

If, if if,  we could spend billions trying to cover every position - there has to be a degree of a risk. The team at villa have gone out spent a lot of money on players who they hope can cut it in this division - many of the players are unproven, if they all flop we will end up near the foot of the table - if they all hit the ground running we could be top six - reality is it will be somewhere between those two extremes.

Another striker, - Sure we could have gambled another £15m on another untested striker - exciting as that would have been is it really any better than Kjodia or Davis ? 

The management and board at Villa have delivered on every promise - they underwrite Aston Villa to a massive extent - Yet they still spent on players more than anyone could have hope late may - They have tried there best to give us a team to be proud of - and I really we can ask no more from them.

UTV.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

I'd be happy with Sturridge on a short term deal, and sensible wages. Seems almost arrogant the way people turn their noses up at him, I wonder if some might be in for a reality check when the season begins, and it's a lot tougher than they're expecting if they think we can be so dismissive of a player like Sturridge.

What are the actual rules on free transfers, is there a cut off date for them too?  Are there any other strikers than Sturridge still available?

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

What are the actual rules on free transfers, is there a cut off date for them too?  Are there any other strikers than Sturridge still available?

The window has closed for players to move between clubs. Unattached players can join anytime...

Just now, hippo said:

The window has closed for players to move between clubs. Unattached players can join anytime...

They can, but I think we have to register a 25 man squad at some point 

Anyway, is it too early to open the January transfer thread? :P

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don’t think it is. Davis has obviously impressed, so we haven’t gone out and panic bought.  Don’t see the problem, personally. 

Yep, 3 strikers for 1 role isn't the end of the world! This should be a strong enough squad to survive comfortably. 

Just now, hippo said:

I was more thinking is there a cut off point for registering your 25-man squad or can you add to it at any time with free transfers?

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Yep, 3 strikers for 1 role isn't the end of the world! This should be a strong enough squad to survive comfortably. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Trezeguet can play through the middle a bit like Lucas Moura did at times for Spurs.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Xela said:

Seems a bit of an anti-climax not to sign Benrahma and a striker but that is just me being greedy! 

In the cold light of day I will be able to reflect on a great and exciting transfer window. 

I'm sure if we need reinforcements in January, we'll go out and get them. 

The upside is we have owners and coaching with enough nous ,not to spend £25m on an unproven and until recently injured player.