Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don't mind us paying the going rate for any player, providing Suso, Smith and the scouts fully believe that they're worth it. If we end up falling back on one of these players as our second or third choice, and perhaps overpay because time is running out, then we could be in trouble.

We often talk about these expensive players by referring to examples of other young players that have gone on to do well. But this, of course, is us assuming that they will fulfill their potential.

I remember seeing an article yeeaaarrs ago, which said something like "The future England midfield - the best English prospects", and it gave an in-depth review of 18/19-year-olds Gary Gardner, John Bostock, Jonjo Shelvey and Jordan Henderson.

Now, obviously Henderson has gone on to do well, but can you imagine paying today's fees for a 19-year-old Gardner, Bostock or Shelvey.

Wasn't Jack Wilshire in that article. I remember reading it too

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Wasn't Jack Wilshire in that article. I remember reading it too

Yes! I thought I'd missed off someone, but couldn't think who. Jack Wilshire's been around for so long, he doesn't come to mind as being the same age as the other ones I mentioned :D

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Yes! I thought I'd missed off someone, but couldn't think who. Jack Wilshire's been around for so long, he doesn't come to mind as being the same age as the other ones I mentioned :D

Here it is  @Rob182

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1181388/Teenage-Kicks-Four-English-midfield-maestros--Wilshere-Gardner-Bostock-Shelvey--dreams-world.html

Around the table sit four teenagers with the world at their feet. They are positively oozing potential. Give them a couple of years and this lot might fetch £100million between them in football's transfer market. 

JACK WILSHERE, JOHN BOSTOCK, JONJO SHELVEY and GARY GARDNER played for England in the Under 17 European Championship in Germany over the last fortnight and Sportsmail managed to catch up with them at Jena's Steigenberger Esplanade Hotel to talk about their talents, their heroes and their ambitions. 

BOSTOCK: 'I love coming away with England. We've been chosen as the best players of our age in the country, so it's a privilege. It gives you confidence competing against the best teams in Europe, knowing you can compete against them. We've all been gifted with a talent and it's up to us how far we take it. When you see some of the players who have played in this tournament, it shows you where you can go. Rooney, Casillas, Torres, Fabregas. They're not half bad players. And Bostock (he whispers this and then laughs). It's something to work for isn't it?' 

JACK WILSHERE

CLUB: Arsenal
BORN: January 1, 1992 
POSITION: Midfield 
ASSETS: Quick feet, explosive speed, balance 
PLAYS A BIT LIKE: Paul Gascoigne

Gary Gardner

GARY GARDNER

CLUB: Aston Villa
BORN: June 26, 1992 
POSITION: Holding midfield 
ASSETS: Composed, reads game, two good feet 
PLAYS A BIT LIKE: Gareth Barry

John Bostock

JOHN BOSTOCK

CLUB: Tottenham
BORN: January 15, 1992 
POSITION: Midfield 
ASSETS: Good left foot, vision, strength 
PLAYS A BIT LIKE: Joe Cole

Jonjo Shelvey

JONJO SHELVEY

CLUB: Charlton
BORN: February 21, 1992 
POSITION: Attacking midfield/second striker 
ASSETS: Energy, power, passing range 
PLAYS A BIT LIKE: Steven Gerrard

Edited by Villan4Life

Haha, so Henderson wasn't even in that article @Villan4Life! Which means the most successful player out of them, is Glass Jack.

This is what I'm talking about. I'm all for us paying what is required, providing our scouts are that confident that any players we buy will continue to improve and become the players they're expected to be.

Obviously, that article is only the Daily Mail, but the point still stands, that a while back, John bloody Bostock was talked about as a potential England player :rolleyes: In today's market, an 18-year-old John Bostock would cost you £25m, and some people would argue that it's the going rate and will be worth every penny because he's got a great future ahead of him.

These are the types of mistakes that we can't be making.

• Like 1

Thanks, that's interesting @Villan4Life.

Even when following that model, and aside from a player not fulfilling their potential in future years, there's also the chance that a player has just had a blinder of a season, where everything has gone well for them (to the point that even the player probably knows that they got a number of lucky touches/ challenges/ goals etc).

This is another thing that scouting wouldn't be able to foresee, and in today's market, could lead to a club paying £20-30m for a player that ends up looking like another Steve Sidwell.

We really need to be careful with these high fees.

I personally can't see the prices continuing to go up and up and up, like some seem to think. Is it really going to be the case that in 5 years time, it's going to cost you £70m to get a standard Robert Huth-Type Premier League quality defender? I don't think so.

Players will go for big money, and players will go for small money. There are bargains to be had, whatever the current market, and I hope that Suso has a few gems up his sleeve.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

16 goals in the last 4 PL seasons. I'm sorry SGC, Austin is awful! I would be beyond disgusted if he so much as drives past Villa Park, for fear his mediocrity is contagious.....

Who do you suggest as back up to Wesley then?

34 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Thanks, that's interesting @Villan4Life.

Even when following that model, and aside from a player not fulfilling their potential in future years, there's also the chance that a player has just had a blinder of a season, where everything has gone well for them (to the point that even the player probably knows that they got a number of lucky touches/ challenges/ goals etc).

This is another thing that scouting wouldn't be able to foresee, and in today's market, could lead to a club paying £20-30m for a player that ends up looking like another Steve Sidwell.

We really need to be careful with these high fees.

I personally can't see the prices continuing to go up and up and up, like some seem to think. Is it really going to be the case that in 5 years time, it's going to cost you £70m to get a standard Robert Huth-Type Premier League quality defender? I don't think so.

Players will go for big money, and players will go for small money. There are bargains to be had, whatever the current market, and I hope that Suso has a few gems up his sleeve.

If interested more into it @Rob182 have a go at this  free course "Talent Id Level 1" from FA which is when going into 4-corner model and why it's important. only take hour and bit to do and get qualification at end. The FA Pyschology course is also free and good!

Players lose form for whatever reasons and are due bad seasons if young enough they can more or less turn it around if they have that desire! A lot of it these days is player's willpower. Course introduces you to:-

• The England DNA
  • The FA 4 Corner Model which will help you gain a better understanding of player long-term development

Both courses are fantastic i did them both for free 2 years ago.

https://learning.thefa.com/totara/program/view.php?id=177

the Psychology one is here: https://learning.thefa.com/totara/program/view.php?id=160

The FA Psychology Level 1 course is a purely online module which allows coaches/scouts  to consider the psychological issues which impact on player development. Psychology is one of the four corners of The FA's player development model and can give coaches new ideas for managing their own and player development.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I would say that that position you are describing is exactly Jack's best position.

Really? I see him as a creative midfielder who can drop deep and control the game, but I wouldn't exactly say he's a goal scorer though. We need a creative striker that can play off Wesley if we decided to play a diamond with a front 2. I don't see Grealish as that sort of player, as brilliant as he is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Someone/anyone/me who can score more than 4 goals a season. 

Do you think RHM could be back up for Wesley?

Yes, I do, I think he’s that good, RHM is a better option than Hogan or Kodjia

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Someone/anyone/me who can score more than 4 goals a season. 

Do you think RHM could be back up for Wesley?

I think Wednesday could score more than Wesley!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Would you rather have RHM or Austin?

Can you imagine if those two combined into one player?!

They would be injury prone for the wheelchair football league.

• Haha 1