Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he is good enough

That’s such a baseless opinion. 

I know you tend to watch a lot of youth football but you really undermine any credibility you have left when making statements like this. 

There is absolutely nothing to suggest RHM will ever become a premier league player. Hell, he might not even be playing football in 2 years time. 

17 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Have you seen much of him other than that video? He looks amazing on the video but that’s all I have to go on

Very little, but judging a CB based upon passing is just ridiculous. Fact is that paying £ 20 million + for a championship CB is just bonkers when we know the value for money abroad. Ofc. if we don't have a scouting department that's capable of alternatives, we have to keep buying average crap at too high prices, i.e. what we've largely been doing the last 15 years. 

You could make any player look good on youtube. Hell, I bet you could make Gary Gardner look like the next Steven Gerrard. Just baffles me why anyone would be impressed by that. 

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he might surprise a few this season, he’s been around the first team for a long time now and he still hasn’t started a league game for us, don’t write him off yet 

Last thing he needs is to hang around a club where he is never going to get a kick.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Believe it or not but we signed some good players in that group. Last time I looked Gana plays for top 8 club in premier league as their DM, Veretout has done well in Italy and Amavi has got a call up for France and played in europa league final since leaving us.

We were in a mess at the time as a club and also lost our only real quality players that summer, Benteke, Delph and Vlaar. It would've worked much better if we'd kept them and signed those.

Surely you can see we're at different stage now, back on the up and plenty of optimism around the place. I also assume we won't sell Grealish or McGinn.

And the "proven and ready" domestic players were even worse, Gestede, Richards and Lescott.

They were good players - and yet despite that they didn't settle or gel as a team and certainly didn't create any sort of spirit.

Which is exactly the point I'm making.

• Like 3

Did Webster play when we hammered Ipswich 4-0 back in April 2018?  I don't recall any Ipswich defender impressing me during that game.  Or when we beat them 2-0 at Villa Park a few months prior to that. 

And aside from Max O'Leary and Jay DaSilva, none of the Bristol lot looked much cop when we played them either. But maybe Webster has looked like a cross between Martin Laursen and Paul McGrath in the 44 other games last season. 

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Believe it or not but we signed some good players in that group. Last time I looked Gana plays for top 8 club in premier league as their DM, Veretout has done well in Italy and Amavi has got a call up for France and played in europa league final since leaving us.

We were in a mess at the time as a club and also lost our only real quality players that summer, Benteke, Delph and Vlaar. It would've worked much better if we'd kept them and signed those.

Surely you can see we're at different stage now, back on the up and plenty of optimism around the place. I also assume we won't sell Grealish or McGinn.

And the "proven and ready" domestic players were even worse, Gestede, Richards and Lescott.

I’m not disputing whether they are good players or not.  But its proof that it can take young players from abroad time to settle so there is always a risk in signing this type of player too. 

Look im not saying we shouldn’t look for value abroad and I also agree that 20-30m million is a ridiculous sum for a Championship player with 2 good seasons.

I just think we finally have the right owners and setup at the club for the first time in years so I’d like to believe we can trust them.  

If they think Webster is worth paying over the odds for them then I’m happy with it.

26 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I genuinly don't get why people suddenly are wanking over a video of a CB passing the ball. You actually need to defend as a defender. £ 20 million for Webster would be horrific. Genuinly wonder what our scouting department is doing. 

Watching a lot more football than you and me. They have without doubt  watched every gave last season and perhaps the season before on tape then god knows how many live. But yeah wonder away .... 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m not disputing whether they are good players or not.  But its proof that it can take young players from abroad time to settle so there is always a risk in signing this type of player too. 

Completely agree, but the same can be said for championship players, which is exactly why £ 20+ million on Webster is bonkers. Unless we have a magic never ending pot of gold and money

4 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

They were good players - and yet despite that they didn't settle or gel as a team and certainly didn't create any sort of spirit.

Which is exactly the point I'm making.

We sold all our quality that summer.

How good would this crop look if we suddenly sold Grealish and McGinn in August? We saw how bad last season was when Grealish was out for three months and we had other very good players still playing for championship level like Tammy and El Ghazi.

We're on the up, we're keeping our best players and our owners are very interested so to me completely different from scenario in 2015 when we'd massively stagnated as premier league team and paid the price.

25 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

To beat the high press the CBs will need to keep the ball under pressure and work some space to feed it to the midfielders. If he isn't able to do that then expect us to conceed on a regular basis. 

Well we seem to be after players that are comfortable on the ball. So Deano and co. must agree with you. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

Did Webster play when we hammered Ipswich 4-0 back in April 2018?  I don't recall any Ipswich defender impressing me during that game.  Or when we beat them 2-0 at Villa Park a few months prior to that. 

And aside from Max O'Leary and Jay DaSilva, none of the Bristol lot looked much cop when we played them either. But maybe Webster has looked like a cross between Martin Laursen and Paul McGrath in the 44 other games last season. 

In fairness I wouldn't write off him on that basis. People used to laugh at Cahill when he'd come back for those games when we were hammering Bolton 4s and 5s at VP for a few seasons but he did o.k for rest of his career.

On flip side we've signed many players who've had amazing games against us and they've never replicated that form on consistant basis for us.

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Watching a lot more football than you and me. They have without doubt  watched every gave last season and perhaps the season before on tape then god knows how many live. But yeah wonder away .... 

It's obviously said as a joke and hyperbole to point out we are miles away from having a squad, and all the legit links we are seing are for championship players, or newly promoted championship players. **** me, thought you English had some kinda perception of this humour. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

image.png.33c2634369009cbd8590e48b6f035098.png

If all the "Deals" rumored to be completed soon are to be believed, this is a lineup capable of staying up, at the least.  Everyone in this team is good with the ball at their feet and works hard for the team.  Get another talented winger, everyone stays healthy, and Smith adapts his style to the Premier League and I think we'll surprise a lot of people with the results we can get this season.  

I think a lot of people are underestimating the quality of the Premier league. I think the team above is capable of survival, depending on how prolific Wesley turns out to be. That’s a big if for me, and we need at least another competent if not earth shattering striker. 

Plus imagine if Phillips got injured and was out for a couple of months. No capable backup (Thor nowhere near a prem level DM imo), and we might want/need to play a more defensive formation with 2DMs against the better teams in the league to get the odd draw/win here or there that will mean the difference between survival and relegation. 

All in all, massive investment needed here even if we could field the team above. Which we can’t.

Backroom team need to get their game faces on over the next few weeks. Big, big fortnight coming up.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That’s such a baseless opinion. 

I know you tend to watch a lot of youth football but you really undermine any credibility you have left when making statements like this. 

There is absolutely nothing to suggest RHM will ever become a premier league player. Hell, he might not even be playing football in 2 years time. 

He did well at Cambridge last season, I’ve seen more of him than most, if he can stay fit which has been an issue for him over the past couple of years, he can become an important player for us

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Add to those Adama Traore who’s playing now with the Dingles.Top 7 and will play in Europe.

Actually all of  those 4 would definitely improve us if they come now.

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He did well at Cambridge last season, I’ve seen more of him than most, if he can stay fit which has been an issue for him over the past couple of years, he can become an important player for us

Right, he didn’t do well at Cambridge, he scored 2 goals in 16 games for a league two side.

But, for arguments sake, let’s just pretend that 2 goals in 16 appearances is a good return. That’s 2 goals in 16 for a league 2 side. 

Back to reality for a sec. Why on earth do you think a player with a dismal goalscoring record at league 2 level will become important for us next season? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Right, he didn’t do well at Cambridge, he scored 2 goals in 16 games for a league two side.

But, for arguments sake, let’s just pretend that 2 goals in 16 appearances is a good return. That’s 2 goals in 16 for a league 2 side. 

Back to reality for a sec. Why on earth do you think a player with a dismal goalscoring record at league 2 level will become important for us next season? 

It was his first experience of starting matches in men’s football, Harry Kane had a similar goal return during loans, went back to Spurs and look at him now. I think RHM can do the same

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

image.png.33c2634369009cbd8590e48b6f035098.png

If all the "Deals" rumored to be completed soon are to be believed, this is a lineup capable of staying up, at the least.  Everyone in this team is good with the ball at their feet and works hard for the team.  Get another talented winger, everyone stays healthy, and Smith adapts his style to the Premier League and I think we'll surprise a lot of people with the results we can get this season.  

I think that’s a half decent side that I’d hope would do ok in the PL. it’s so hard to predict though obviously.

I’d love us to get in another striker to challenge Wesley.

• Like 1

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5d190344138c092e24adae7c

I’d go 4231 

back four of Targett. Kongolo. Lascelles. Guilbert 

Rongier & McGinn

El Ghazi LW Grealish as a #10 the Oudin RW

CF Charlie Austin sorry I mean Wesley 

With  Rongier & Oudin interchangeable with Santamaria & Bowen or vice versa.  

Edited by thabucks
Picture won’t show for some reason .