Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Slowly coming around to the idea of Cahill as a one season stop gap .... we obviously really want Axel and Cahill for a year to wait and see how Axel does at Man Utd and how much he plays sort of makes sense - depending on his wages that is. 

• Like 1

I think we might be misunderstanding Wesleys role a little. It seems he is as much a number 10 as an out and out striker and has often been paired with another forward. We may be looking for a striker to play with him.

We won't always play 4 3 3.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

People write Hepburn-Murphy off too soon, he's been unlucky with injuries, and when Bruce played him he was used in completely the wrong way; also his goal record at Cambridge wasn't very impressive, but there are many other youngsters who've gone on loan haven't done all that well and then gone on to have good careers, sometimes these loans are more about getting them used to the physical side of the game, and  playing every week in front of fans.

He needs a good pre-season without getting injured, and then probably a loan, but if he can stay fit, I wouldn't put it past him to have a better career in the game than any of the strikers currently at our club.

I think you are correct 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Savo'sleftpeg said:

I'd rather have gabby back

RHM has a lot more ability than what Gabby did, Gabby worked extremely and made the most of the ability he had. If RHM does the same which I expect he will do, then he’ll have a great career, RHM did better than Gabby did in his loan spells

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

People write Hepburn-Murphy off too soon, he's been unlucky with injuries, and when Bruce played him he was used in completely the wrong way; also his goal record at Cambridge wasn't very impressive, but there are many other youngsters who've gone on loan haven't done all that well and then gone on to have good careers, sometimes these loans are more about getting them used to the physical side of the game, and  playing every week in front of fans.

He needs a good pre-season without getting injured, and then probably a loan, but if he can stay fit, I wouldn't put it past him to have a better career in the game than any of the strikers currently at our club.

Nope, I'm not having that.

Even if we exclude the Ivory Coast international Kodjia, we still have a number of players that are better than RHM.

I'd put money on O'Hare, Davis and Hogan all having better careers than RHM. Davis did more in a 3-month spell for us in the Championship than RHM has ever managed since he seemed to be getting out of the U21s years ago.

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s younger and hungrier, RHM can be a great player for us I think, I think the club do too

Seriously just stop. IMO RHM is clinging to place in the villa squad by his finger tips. I don't see him being in our starting 11 for any premiership games - his place on the bench looks a long shot - and actually getting on the pitch in a villa shirt this forthcoming season  looks a distant prospect. 

A loan to a championship club - and six goals looks about the best you can hope for - more likely league one.

There is absolutely no evidence that he is on the cusp of a breakthrough at VP.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, useless said:

nobody is writing him off, we are just saying he isnt good enough to be a Premier League striker next season that somebody has suggested

15 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I cannot believe that after just being promoted and having two ambitious billionaire owners on board who want to take us to the top that we are even debating RHM and Austin being good options. What's happened to our ambition? There is a whole continent of players out there. Many of them are very good value and far far better options than both of them. It's like winning the Euromillions and Lotto in the same week and buying a new car but debating between a Citroen and a Peugeot.

Thankfully, I'm pretty sure the people in charge of the club do have far greater ambitions than crap like that.

Surely one of your car examples should have been an Austin?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I didn’t say that, did I? You’re putting words in to my mouth there, RHM has an awful lot of potential 

On what we’ve seen so far from RHM then awful is a pretty appropriate description

Just now, Rob182 said:

Nope, I'm not having that.

Even if we exclude the Ivory Coast international Kodjia, we still have a number of players that are better than RHM.

I'd put money on O'Hare, Davis and Hogan all having better careers than RHM. Davis did more in a 3-month spell for us in the Championship than RHM has ever managed since he seemed to be getting out of the U21s years ago.

Agreed. I actually really rate Davis. Can definitely see him having a decent career in the Championship. Hogan has already proven in the past that he does have some ability. With RHM, we are going purely on potential. But I'm not even sure what that potential is based on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Seriously just stop. IMO RHM is clinging to place in the villa squad by his finger tips. I don't see him being in our starting 11 for any premiership games - his place on the bench looks a long shot - and actually getting on the pitch in a villa shirt this forthcoming season  looks a distant prospect. 

A loan to a championship club - and six goals looks about the best you can hope for - more likely league one.

There is absolutely no evidence that he is on the cusp of a breakthrough at VP.  

Callum Robinson overtook RHM in our relegation season, and I don't think we even offered him a new contract for the upcoming Championship season.

RHM needs to sort out his injury problems if he's ever to develop into the potential player that was mentioned about 4 years ago.

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

RHM has a lot more ability than what Gabby did, Gabby worked extremely and made the most of the ability he had. If RHM does the same which I expect he will do, then he’ll have a great career, RHM did better than Gabby did in his loan spells

Neither of them did anything in their loan spells, difference is Gabby was at Championship level and RHM was at league 2.

I still have hopes for RHM but if you aren't pulling up trees in league 2 you are clinging on - the standard is abysmal.

He needs to play 30+ games next season and register double figures to have any hopes of getting an extension.
Good luck to him, I like the way he plays and think he does have talent to make it in the game, but he's got a billion miles to go to even be a regular Championship player now.

If we hadn't gone up, then I would be fully invested in developing him and working with him. As it is now, we need quality. Top quality.

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

Agreed. I actually really rate Davis. Can definitely see him having a decent career in the Championship. Hogan has already proven in the past that he does have some ability. With RHM, we are going purely on potential. But I'm not even sure what that potential is based on.

I love Davis. If he gets a loan to the Championship this season, I see no reason why he can't become a reliable target man option in a Premier League squad.

• Like 1

Just now, Rob182 said:

Callum Robinson overtook RHM in our relegation season, and I don't think we even offered him a new contract for the upcoming Championship season.

RHM needs to sort out his injury problems if he's ever to develop into the potential player that was mentioned about 4 years ago.

I think BMH and the u23's need to look at the injury situation - every young player seems to get injured. RHM, Lyden, Davis, O'hare , - why is this ? 

None of our strikers have done much in their careers, Davis is still young himself, Kodjia and Hogan are both in their late twenties and haven't even played top flight football, and O'Hare isn't even a striker. It's not actually beyond the realms of possibility that Hepburn-Murphy could go on to achieve more in the game than any of them, ridiculous how people are writing him off just based on a loan spell at Cambridge, where he was managed by Calderwood, who probably probably completely misused him.

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

I love Davis. If he gets a loan to the Championship this season, I see no reason why he can't become a reliable target man option in a Premier League squad.

Yeah, me too. He changes the game pretty much every time he comes on as sub. He's got pace, an immense amount of strength and power, decent in the air and has a good touch. If he can have a season on loan somewhere where he will be number 1 striker and start adding a few goals to his game, then there's no reason why he can't be a quality player.

• Like 1