Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

What about Kurt Zouma on loan with view to permanent? Chelsea well stocked at CB with David Luiz, Christensen and Rudiger as their first choice CBs and Zouma has been loaned out last two years to Stoke and Everton.

Assumed Everton had option to buy but seems not.

Would also inquire about Yerry Mina if he's not going to be first choice for Everton this season, been good ahead for Colombia in copa america.

I could be wrong, but I think Yerry Mina has been seen as quite injury prone at Everton. Sure I head an interview on Talksport where they were saying he hardly spends any time on the pitch, particularly in a really physically demanding league like ours.

1 minute ago, jasonperry_uk said:

I could be wrong, but I think Yerry Mina has been seen as quite injury prone at Everton. Sure I head an interview on Talksport where they were saying he hardly spends any time on the pitch, particularly in a really physically demanding league like ours.

Yeah he was in and out last year. His run of games was November-December and Everton actually had good defensive run at that point, 0-0 at Chelsea and should've got 0-0 at Anfield before that Pickford era in 95th minute.

Started the three games in Copa America and Colombia didn't concede in any of them so depends if Everton want to let him out to get run of games somewhere.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Very unconvinced Webster will be able to go carry the ball like that in the Premier League.

With the high-pressers his ability on the ball will be sternly put to the test. Not saying he can't do it though!

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He looks class, left sided centre back, does this mean that Mings isn’t coming? Based on that video, he looks better than Mings, he looks so comfortable on the ball

My thoughts exactly. In these ridiculous times he looks worth the £20m. Looks as comfortable playing in ‘midfield/wing’ as at the back 😛. Importantly another ball playing player.

Note: we will need 3 new CB’s.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

My thoughts exactly. In these ridiculous times he looks worth the £20m. Looks as comfortable playing in ‘midfield/wing’ as at the back 😛. Importantly another ball playing player.

Note: we will need 3 new CB’s.

Hause and Chester already , 2 more CB's would do us , defence would be fine then , keeper, right sided winger and defensive midfielder would be priority at that point

20 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Anybody reckon Webster would be equally capable of carrying the ball forward in the top flight?

I’m not so sure he’d be expected to very often. It’s a different game and although he’ll be facing better players, he’ll also have better players around him, who will move the ball forwards.

I think that the coaches and scouts we have will be looking for players that can do specific jobs that fit in with a style we want to play. Their job is then to get them all singing off the same hymn sheet to create a strong and cohesive team. Easier said than done, but that’s what successful clubs do. 

At this point it’s about recognising potential impact on the team and then recruiting the best players we can get to build a strong squad. I’m confident we’ll be looking into all aspects of potential recruits including past performance and also what they’ll be able to, hopefully, achieve next season and beyond. 

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Sold! This is going to be a very interesting Villa side, players in every position who can create something going forwards. Hope we get him. 

His game seems quite similar to Mings.

Both good on the ball, can get forward, and spray passes!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Hause and Chester already , 2 more CB's would do us , defence would be fine then , keeper, right sided winger and defensive midfielder would be priority at that point

Correct if Chester is fit, but he could be finished

35 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Did their time at Ipswich overlap? Guess that's why we're going so strong on him, I'm assuming him and Mings were in same back 4 and had good understanding.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He was spraying them with both feet too.   If he can defend as well maybe this lad is the real deal.

• Like 1

According to transfermarkt, Mings only played 6 games in central defence whilst at Ipswich, his other 51 appearances for them were at left-back, and some of those were as a wing-back, he was very highly rated in that position as well, which is why Bournemouth paid the big fee for him, it's only really with us that he's had a consistent run as a centre-back. Still if he's played with Webster before, and they both sign then that can only be a good thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

The only reason you think this is because he’s coming from Bristol City. 

Total unmitigated nonsense, I've seen him play a number of times, pretty good player but £20m+ is very poor value.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Did their time at Ipswich overlap? Guess that's why we're going so strong on him, I'm assuming him and Mings were in same back 4 and had good understanding.

No Webster was at Ipswich 2016-18, Mings was at Ipswich 2012-15.

As @useless said above, Mings was a LB at Ipswich, and i believe Bournemouth bought him as a LB pretty much, he really only played consistently at CB at Villa.

Webster also looks like he started as a full back, not sure when he played mostly at CB, but he defo plays CB for Bristol.

Would be funny to have a 6ft 4 CB (Mings), and a 6ft 3 CB (Webster), then add that to Targett who is 6ft.......just Guilbert who is 5ft 8 and a half :)

then up front we will have Wesley (6ft 3) and El Ghazi (6ft 2).......if we arent rubbish we could be nasty from free kicks/corners next season.

Edited by MaVilla