Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not so sure he’d be expected to very often. It’s a different game and although he’ll be facing better players, he’ll also have better players around him, who will move the ball forwards.

I think that the coaches and scouts we have will be looking for players that can do specific jobs that fit in with a style we want to play. Their job is then to get them all singing off the same hymn sheet to create a strong and cohesive team. Easier said than done, but that’s what successful clubs do. 

At this point it’s about recognising potential impact on the team and then recruiting the best players we can get to build a strong squad. I’m confident we’ll be looking into all aspects of potential recruits including past performance and also what they’ll be able to, hopefully, achieve next season and beyond. 

To beat the high press the CBs will need to keep the ball under pressure and work some space to feed it to the midfielders. If he isn't able to do that then expect us to conceed on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I genuinly don't get why people suddenly are wanking over a video of a CB passing the ball. You actually need to defend as a defender. £ 20 million for Webster would be horrific. Genuinly wonder what our scouting department is doing. 

F**k his defending. Did you see that range of passing!! 

You’re right though. I think our scouting department need some help from Paddy Reilly. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Ok so off the top of my head, Ozan Kabak was fantastic in the Bundesliga last season, and moved today for £13m, Armando Izzo is one of Serie A's top defenders, and is available for about £20m, Djene Dakounam is outstanding and valued at £30m, Felipe (best defender in Portugal) has just moved for £18m, Fiorentina and Argentina defender German Pezzella has been touted for £16m. Juve have snapped up 3 top young defenders, and so Italy international Daniele Rugani is said to be available for £20m. This shows what proven top-league defenders are available for, and that £20-30m for Webster would be us having our collective pants pulled down (imo).

Foreign players are always a gamble though. The extra 5-10m you pay for English players is because you know they’re settled and they’ll fit right in with the language, the area and they know the league.

Its all well and good going out and buying a good young defender from Italy but if they don’t settle in, you’ve got a problem as the window is shut and even though you may get your money back, the damage may already be done. 

Personally, I could take or leave Webster albeit he is probably a good player. The one id like to see is Phillips and if we can get him for 25m, I think it could represent great value. One good season in the premier league on a lengthy contract and he is worth 40m - especially if Southgate comes calling.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

RHM wont be anywhere near the first team tbh, and if he is we need to worry big time.....

He needs to go out on loan to get some game time (and not get himself injured again).

I think he might surprise a few this season, he’s been around the first team for a long time now and he still hasn’t started a league game for us, don’t write him off yet 

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I genuinly don't get why people suddenly are wanking over a video of a CB passing the ball. You actually need to defend as a defender. £ 20 million for Webster would be horrific. Genuinly wonder what our scouting department is doing. 

Suggesting Adam Webster as a good fit by the looks of it. Scouting is more than just producing a player nobody has heard of that turns out to be amazing I'm sure.

If Webster is the next Maguire, 20m will turn out to be **** all.

6 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Ok so off the top of my head, Ozan Kabak was fantastic in the Bundesliga last season, and moved today for £13m, Armando Izzo is one of Serie A's top defenders, and is available for about £20m, Djene Dakounam is outstanding and valued at £30m, Felipe (best defender in Portugal) has just moved for £18m, Fiorentina and Argentina defender German Pezzella has been touted for £16m. Juve have snapped up 3 top young defenders, and so Italy international Daniele Rugani is said to be available for £20m. This shows what proven top-league defenders are available for, and that £20-30m for Webster would be us having our collective pants pulled down (imo).

Fair enough but as mentioned below you can probably add 10 million on to all of them if a Premier League club comes in for them.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just checked what Bayern Munich paid for Pavard, 31m. Can play CB or RB and world cup winner.

Would say though with the TV deal most foreign clubs do put prices up by 10m when premier league clubs seriously show interest while fees are much lower in domestic transfer for mid level players.

46 minutes ago, KMitch said:

image.png.33c2634369009cbd8590e48b6f035098.png

If all the "Deals" rumored to be completed soon are to be believed, this is a lineup capable of staying up, at the least.  Everyone in this team is good with the ball at their feet and works hard for the team.  Get another talented winger, everyone stays healthy, and Smith adapts his style to the Premier League and I think we'll surprise a lot of people with the results we can get this season.  

It reminds me a bit of the squad we had in lamberts time in terms of quality (Delph, Benteke, cleverley, downing etc). Although we won't pull up any trees, I think that would be strong enough to survive. 

I think the element of nativism in some of our transfer dealings and rumoured dealings is sensible. Bringing in lots of players from all four corners of the world who have never played in England and may not even speak English would be a recipe for disaster. 

Clearly that doesn't mean we should restrict ourselves or pay massively over the odds each time, but we need to try to maintain the spirit which was ultimately what got us promoted last season. 

The recruitment team obviously see Wesley (and Guilbert) as being worthwhile foreign signings, and I'm sure there will be one or two more, but it's just good sense to counter balance that with some British players too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You do know that the members of VT, splendid and knowledgeable though they are, don’t actually work for the club’s scouting team?

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Foreign players are always a gamble though. The extra 5-10m you pay for English players is because you know they’re settled and they’ll fit right in with the language, the area and they know the league.

Its all well and good going out and buying a good young defender from Italy but if they don’t settle in, you’ve got a problem as the window is shut and even though you may get your money back, the damage may already be done. 

Personally, I could take or leave Webster albeit he is probably a good player. The one id like to see is Phillips and if we can get him for 25m, I think it could represent great value. One good season in the premier league on a lengthy contract and he is worth 40m - especially if Southgate comes calling.

90% of the top players in the league are foreign. We've signed so much wank over the years, seemingly just because they were British, rather than having any footballing ability. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

Suggesting Adam Webster as a good fit by the looks of it. Scouting is more than just producing a player nobody has heard of that turns out to be amazing I'm sure.

If Webster is the next Maguire, 20m will turn out to be **** all.

I can just see it happening for another club.

Then we can reminisce about the time we all wanked over his range of passing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he might surprise a few this season, he’s been around the first team for a long time now and he still hasn’t started a league game for us, don’t write him off yet 

he hasnt started/barely started, because he isn't that good and/or is constantly getting injured?

He needs to prove he can cut it in the championship for a season imo.

2 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

I think the element of nativism in some of our transfer dealings and rumoured dealings is sensible. Bringing in lots of players from all four corners of the world who have never played in England and may not even speak English would be a recipe for disaster. 

People seem to forget what happened last time we tried it.  

2 hours ago, villarocker said:

With the high-pressers his ability on the ball will be sternly put to the test. Not saying he can't do it though!

People seem to have convinced themselves the Premier League is full of high pressing, high energy teams.

There's like, two of them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

he hasnt started/barely started, because he isn't that good and/or is constantly getting injured?

He needs to prove he can cut it in the championship for a season imo.

I think he is good enough

Was going to add Manolas who's moving to Napoli from Roma for under 30m. Interesting about that move is Roma are getting Amadou Diawara as part of the deal, wasn't he the guy we were randomly linked with at the start of Di Matteo's short reign?

Given we seemed to have found old scouting report under a desk and signed Kalinic from it, I did wonder if we might go back in for this guy as he seems to have made a decent career for himself in Serie A.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KMitch said:

image.png.33c2634369009cbd8590e48b6f035098.png

If all the "Deals" rumored to be completed soon are to be believed, this is a lineup capable of staying up, at the least.  Everyone in this team is good with the ball at their feet and works hard for the team.  Get another talented winger, everyone stays healthy, and Smith adapts his style to the Premier League and I think we'll surprise a lot of people with the results we can get this season.  

Put the exact same team in this thread this morning, but with Benrahma on the right included.  I suppose Jota will take the right hand spot if no one else is signed for that position.   I think the team is good enough to stay up, barring any lengthy injuries. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

People seem to forget what happened last time we tried it.  

Believe it or not but we signed some good players in that group. Last time I looked Gana plays for top 8 club in premier league as their DM, Veretout has done well in Italy and Amavi has got a call up for France and played in europa league final since leaving us.

We were in a mess at the time as a club and also lost our only real quality players that summer, Benteke, Delph and Vlaar. It would've worked much better if we'd kept them and signed those.

Surely you can see we're at different stage now, back on the up and plenty of optimism around the place. I also assume we won't sell Grealish or McGinn.

And the "proven and ready" domestic players were even worse, Gestede, Richards and Lescott.

• Like 3