Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

9 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I love McGinn, and I don't believe a word of the report.

That said, we paid what, £2.75 million for him a year ago? If we can turn that into £50 million, you do it without thinking twice.

Not if we're serious about becoming an established top flight club again!

That's what cost us the last time we attempted to break the top four. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

What we paid for him makes no odds. It's his value to us now that matters. In the current inflated market can we replace McGinn with that £50m? Not sure we can tbh.

It's a bit like when people get excited about their house price going up by 50%. Yeah nice one, then when you sell it, you discover that all the houses you want to live in have also gone up by 50%.

Exactly this! 

Plus, after a couple of seasons in the Premier League, the top four will be offering £100m for Super John McGinn. And even then they can go fook themselves! 

• Like 2

Alan Nixon is a lying arseclown who writes tripe. Even by his standards, this is quite something. We may as well discuss the likelihood of Lion O and Optimus Prime joining the Ghostbusters.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Not if we're serious about becoming an established top flight club again!

That's what cost us the last time we attempted to break the top four. 

What cost us was bad scouting and the ability to replace players we lost. We got mcginn for under 3m. Surely we can find another.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

I don't think this will happen. The guy has one of the worst attitudes in football, and Dean's be a teammate would never apply to Mor. He's extremely selfish, arrogant and lazy. He's a talented player no doubt but he's been given chance after chance and we can't afford to take risks on a bad egg like him. 

Risk vs reward . Suso will do right by us I’m sure and if they feel he can be worked with and guided as this is his last chance I wouldn’t dismiss it . Not fussed about him but can see a benefit in getting a highly rated talent on the cheap in the hope he turns his head around. Time will tell as it probs just easy clickbait journalism like a lot of spurious links. 

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

So based on whisper, rumour, ITK, facts and signings, if we started with the team below at Spurs on 10 August, would we all be happy?

............................................Butland............................................

Guilbert...........Webster.....................Mings................Targett

..........................................Phillips.............................................

..........................Grealish...................McGinn..........................

Benrahma........................Wesley.............................El Ghazi

Bench:  Steer, Hause, Elmo, Hourihane, Jota, Davis, Kodjia

It wouldn't be a bad team to start our new season would it?   Probably will look nothing like this anyway, but I was bored this morning. :flag:

I do worry that that team will be over run in midfield easily. 

We'll have quality going forwards but outside of back four we have Phillips and potentially McGinn with IMO the other four being less defensive and while this is ok against lower teams in the Premier League, we'll get smashed by top half of the table teams more often than not. 

We are going from one of the best teams in the championship to one of the lesser teams in the Premier League. 

I think we need to have formation options depending on the teams as well, as those wings will be easy to destroy by opposing teams if El Ghazi and Benrahma dont track back well enough.

I think Nixon has mentioned he doesn’t like Villa and immediately after the article came out said that certain fans shouldn’t gloat about bidding for other players then scream when it’s the other way around. Made it up for the reaction I reckon.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Watford and Wolves have been extremely successful with "inexperienced PL players". What does that even mean? Sounds like lingo that keeps dinosaurs in management 5 years ago but most PL teams have moved on

They're inexperienced in the PL but have vast experienced elsewhere. Moutinho and Patricio for instance have always been quality players. 

Villa could do with a couple of well known, experienced, quality player players amongst their ranks to aid the younger players. After all, we've just lost the likes of Hutton, Jedinak and Whelan. I wouldn't mind us bringing in a couple of quality 30 year olds if they can add something to the squad and help the younger ones. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villarocker said:

They're inexperienced in the PL but have vast experienced elsewhere. Moutinho and Patricio for instance have always been quality players. 

Villa could do with a couple of well known, experienced, quality player players amongst their ranks to aid the younger players. After all, we've just lost the likes of Hutton, Jedinak and Whelan. I wouldn't mind us bringing in a couple of quality 30 year olds if they can add something to the squad and help the younger ones. 

Patricio was horrendous last season. Cost them against Huddersfield. I know owning him in FPL he went 18 games with no CS. Classic he's known European name with pedigree but on the coal face he didn't deliver. Wasn't like he didn't save wonder goals. Stats wise was poor as well

14 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

I think Nixon has mentioned he doesn’t like Villa and immediately after the article came out said that certain fans shouldn’t gloat about bidding for other players then scream when it’s the other way around. Made it up for the reaction I reckon.

People like him are the equivalent of pond scum. A massive step below the journalists that ask inane questions that managers roll their eyes to in post match interviews

21 minutes ago, villarocker said:

SGC, give it up, please! This is 2019/20 were talking about and Charlie Austin is past his prime as a footballer. He'd want a wedge of money to play less than 20 games and score around 5 goals. How would that benefit our team?

The club looks to have moved on from those kind of deals and we should all be grateful of that considering that we've been there and it nearly cost us our club. 

Agreed. Would have loved for us to sign Austin back then. Was one of my favourite footballers. Left foot right headers he had it all.

He looks finished now though, compiling his age with the wages he earns and the medicals he has failed before it is a non starter.

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's completely irrelevant

What on earth are you talking about. We're talking about player valuations and you bring up Ben Gibson. The fact that you rate or don't rate a player will directly affect what you consider a reasonable value. Saying it's irrelevant is pure nonsense. Now if you rate Che that's fine. It's to expected for people to have different opinions on a messageboard, but if you think it's irrelevant suggests you don't know the meaning of the word.

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What on earth are you talking about. We're talking about player valuations and you bring up Ben Gibson. The fact that you rate or don't rate a player will directly affect what you consider a reasonable value. Saying it's irrelevant is pure nonsense. Now if you rate Che that's fine. It's to expected for people to have different opinions on a messageboard, but if you think it's irrelevant suggests you don't know the meaning of the word.

He scored 22 goals in the Championship. 15 million is hardly surprising for figures paid last few seasons. You wouldn't blink if Tammy was the same or cost more. It's the going rate I'm afraid. Your opinion of the player is irrelevant

1 hour ago, VillaAlex said:

I don't think this will happen. The guy has one of the worst attitudes in football, and Dean's be a teammate would never apply to Mor. He's extremely selfish, arrogant and lazy. He's a talented player no doubt but he's been given chance after chance and we can't afford to take risks on a bad egg like him. 

There's always the option of loaning him with a fee agreed if we want to buy him, a la El Ghazi. Less risky on our end. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He scored 22 goals in the Championship. 15 million is hardly surprising for figures paid last few seasons. You wouldn't blink if Tammy was the same or cost more. It's the going rate I'm afraid. Your opinion of the player is irrelevant

Clearly this is difficult for you. It's a message board where I said I'd being suicidal if we signed Che for £ 15 million. Now you might think that everyone should have your opinion, but that's not how things work. But nice to know the word irrelevant still eludes you.