Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

12 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I find i'm clicking less & less now too on these fabricated and frankly annoying nothing headlines. it's getting worse each year!

The really bad ones are the regurgitated old fake news ones which appear from time to time.

I created a newsnow account hoping they had a filter. No such luck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

How did this signing bypass me? I've never heard of this guy.

he was a defender who supposedly could play anywhere across the back 4, came from a relegated spanish club iirc, and he wasnt good.

15 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Allback was shite, just like Bent was shite.

Being in a striker is great, you score a few important goals amongst a sea of shite and you're remembered for only the good.

Allback went on a run of form/ goals that pretty much kept us up in that ill fated GT season. Overall I agree he was pretty shite, was shite before he hit that run of form, was shite after in the following season, but worth the money for the contribution he made in that 2002/03 season.

• Like 1

Played once in a 1-0 home loss to Stoke where Tactics Tim was trying all sorts. That result all but confirmed my belief that we were going down. I think it was September.

Probably shared the same agent as Ilori...nudge nudge wink wink,

30 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Now our recruitment seems to be improved, i thought it might be worth a quick reminisce of some of our less good historic signings of the last 20 years :)

The bad:

Balaban - 7m, Crouch - 7m, Allback - 3m, Djemba Djemba - 3m, Harewood - 5m, Routledge - 2m, Shorey - 5m, Warnock - 8m, Ireland - 9m, NZogbia - 10m, Kozak - 6m, Tonev - 3m, Helenius - 1m, Bacuna - 1m, Cissokho - 2m, Richardson - 750k, Sinclair - 3m, Traore - 9m, Gestede - 8m, Lescott - 1m, Crespo - 700k, Richards - 5 years of gravy, McCormack - 12.5m, Hogan - 10m, Tshibola - 5m, Bree - 5m, De Laet - 2m.

All for a mere 130m ish.........bargain..........

The Good:

To temper this, some of my favourites:

Carbone - ?m, Angel - 13m, Staunton - free, Mellberg - 6m, Merson - 5.5m,  Solano - 2m, Laursen - 3.5m, Bouma - 4m, Young - 12m, Petrov - 9m, Carew - ?m, Milner - 13m, Vlarr - 3.5m.

If only we had a basic level of competence historically & didnt waste their talent:

Gollini - 4.5m, Amavi - 10m, Veretout - 9m, Gueye - 8m, Makoun - 6m.

Bit harsh on Crouch. He never really got a chance and was only sold in the end so we could pay for Laursen. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I disagree, Terry has played in better sides than Cahill, doesn’t mean he’s a better player

Terry is one of England's best ever defenders. In modern times, he is possibly the best.

Cahill, who I like a lot, is miles behind.

27 minutes ago, useless said:

It is important to be able to do this at the beginning of the day.

Was this meant for the Breakfast thread in Off Topic?

2 hours ago, Larscapaldi said:

It was a genuine question. 😄 I would think he had one when he came in on loan and Villa would know by now what state he's in.

Yeah if you are parting with money to sign permanently you do a thorough medical.

Its like buying / renting a house. When you rent you don't do any of the searches etc because its not your property. When you buy though, you leave no stone unturned. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah if you are parting with money to sign permanently you do a thorough medical.

Its like buying / renting a house. When you rent you don't do any of the searches etc because its not your property. When you buy though, you leave no stone unturned. 

Unless it's Micah Richards, then you just rent a dumper truck, fill it with money and get the doctor to drive it to his house instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Teams often part with money for loans though. Wages and fees can still be relatively high, so I'm sure fairly thorough medicals are done for loans. Maybe at this point we just go the whole hog, finger up the arse, checking for dodgy looking freckles and the like?

With that in mind, is there some sort of waiting list or ballot I can put my name on to perform the medical... ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KMitch said:

We have a fantastic record with foreign goalkeepers recently... Gollini, Nyland, Moreira and Kalinic :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Teams often part with money for loans though. Wages and fees can still be relatively high, so I'm sure fairly thorough medicals are done for loans. Maybe at this point we just go the whole hog, finger up the arse, checking for dodgy looking freckles and the like?

With that in mind, is there some sort of waiting list or ballot I can put my name on to perform the medical... ?

Medicals are definately undertaken for loans

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Terry is one of England's best ever defenders. In modern times, he is possibly the best.

Cahill, who I like a lot, is miles behind.

That’s the general consensus, yes but in my opinion, he was average in terms of technical ability, I thought he was ok for us, nothing more (Terry)