Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

49 minutes ago, Xela said:

The highlighted is one of the most ludicrous statements I have ever read on here... and i've seen a lot.

You've embarrassed yourself here mate. 

Or we can accept that others have different opinions 🙂

Personally I can understand that Terry might been seen in different lights. My opinion on him is that he is one of the modern day PL defenders who reads the game the best, very intelligent player and has a great passing ability, not at least his long range passing with both feet.

At the same time his technique when it comes to ball control, turning etc can sometimes be a bit dodgy and has now and then fumbled with the ball, also in his prime. He has never had much pace, but has relied on his reading of the game and his bravery.

I think the fact that he was at Chelsea for so long, especially during their most succesful period where he also played with other good players, his leadership qualities and that he captained Chelse for that long period has created somewhat of a myth about him. Had he changed clubs and not won the titles he did I'm not sure if the myth would be as strong. So in the Chelsea context he is a legend, not necessarily strictly playing wise.

As for his year in the Championship, for his contribution on the pitch I would say good is a fair verdict. He was injured for quite some time. He had a couple of games where he was immense, and a couple of games where you could see he was slow, slow in the turn, slow to get to the ground. I think his main contribution was to steady the dressing room, being a role model for Jack and others, not what he actually did on the pitch. Wouldn't say that the Chester/Terry partnership was that much better than the Chester/Baker partership.

And for not liking the person Terry of several reasons there are things he has done, the racial abuse for example, that I understand that ppl would turn against him for. From what most ppl say about him and what managers have said I would regard him mostly as a role model, someone I look up to and have respect for. I for example very much appreciate what he said about begining from the start as a manager, admitting he has much to learn and not being afraid of putting out the cones and handing out the bibs. It was a humble, responsible and mature side of his.

I don't think @sir_gary_cahill embarrassed himself here, but just said his opinion, that might not be what most people here think of Terry including myself, but still in parts may be warrented depending on what sides of Terry's game or personal life you focus on.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Have you seen that dude tho?, he's like forest Gump.....it's like he has a rocket up his arse.

Yup. Obscene pace. But I bet they are paying 6-7 mill extra just cause he's English. 

Out of interest is the homegrown rule still exactly as it was 2-3 years ago? 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yup. Obscene pace. But I bet they are paying 6-7 mill extra just cause he's English. 

Out of interest is the homegrown rule still exactly as it was 2-3 years ago? 

Somebody should have told them he was Welsh.  Could have save a few million ;)

Agree he is rapid! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Even if the Fornals link was true it's one I find odd. He's very similar to Jota/Jack, as good of a player he seems I don't think he'd be right for us. We need proper width and goals from midfield which he doesn't offer either. I think the lad from Brentford would offer more goal wise. I want to emphasise on goals from midfield as well if we don't get that I think we're straight back down. I also think Fornals would have offers from likes of Arsenal. 

Therefore I call bullshit and I've probably wastes 2 minutes of my life thinking about it.

Edited by VillaAlex
Phone autocorrect

5 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Or we can accept that others have different opinions 🙂

Personally I can understand that Terry might been seen in different lights. My opinion on him is that he is one of the modern day PL defenders who reads the game the best, very intelligent player and has a great passing ability, not at least his long range passing with both feet.

At the same time his technique when it comes to ball control, turning etc can sometimes be a bit dodgy and has now and then fumbled with the ball, also in his prime. He has never had much pace, but has relied on his reading of the game and his bravery.

I think the fact that he was at Chelsea for so long, especially during their most succesful period where he also played with other good players, his leadership qualities and that he captained Chelse for that long period has created somewhat of a myth about him. Had he changed clubs and not won the titles he did I'm not sure if the myth would be as strong. So in the Chelsea context he is a legend, not necessarily strictly playing wise.

As for his year in the Championship, for his contribution on the pitch I would say good is a fair verdict. He was injured for quite some time. He had a couple of games where he was immense, and a couple of games where you could see he was slow, slow in the turn, slow to get to the ground. I think his main contribution was to steady the dressing room, being a role model for Jack and others, not what he actually did on the pitch. Wouldn't say that the Chester/Terry partnership was that much better than the Chester/Baker partership.

And for not liking the person Terry of several reasons there are things he has done, the racial abuse for example, that I understand that ppl would turn against him for. From what most ppl say about him and what managers have said I would regard him mostly as a role model, someone I look up to and have respect for. I for example very much appreciate what he said about begining from the start as a manager, admitting he has much to learn and not being afraid of putting out the cones and handing out the bibs. It was a humble, responsible and mature side of his.

I don't think @sir_gary_cahill embarrassed himself here, but just said his opinion, that might not be what most people here think of Terry including myself, but still in parts may be warrented depending on what sides of Terry's game or personal life you focus on.

I've no issue with different opinions. However when that opinion is clearly contrary to what is generally accepted and confirmed then it deserves to be questioned. Terry, without doubt, is of the greatest defenders this country has ever produced. Its pretty much a fact. 

As for him as a person, well thats for each person to form an opinion on. Being a 'scumbag' doesn't make him a worse player does it? He has done some very questionable things in his life but we weren't talking about that, we were talking about his footballing ability against that of Cahill. 

I've nothing against @sir_gary_cahill at all, and if it seems that way then I apologise to him. I love his enthusiasm for your younger players, but if you are going to make bold and controversial statements then you have to expect a reaction. 

Anyway, enough of Terry, have we bloody signed Mings yet?! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Even if the Fornals link was true it's one I find odd. He's very similar to Jota/Jack, as good of a player he seems I don't think he'd be right for us. We need proper width and goals from midfield which he doesn't offer either. 

I might be wrong but didn't Smith play very narrow wingers at Brentford? It might be the plan to play a narrow 3 behind the striker, subject to buying quick attack minded fullbacks. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I might be wrong but didn't Smith play very narrow wingers at Brentford? It might be the plan to play a narrow 3 behind the striker, subject to buying quick attack minded fullbacks. 

No very wide 

24 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

I was in the trinity road by the dug out. Memories..

For that 7-1 Wimbledon game  I was sat in my season ticket  seat at time right next to the tunnel first seat, front row in Lower Trinity.

I used collect all villa players and opposition players autograph by tunnel every game  think I got Sam  Hammam’s autograph that day.

Great  memories indeed.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Even if the Fornals link was true it's one I find odd. He's very similar to Jota/Jack, as good of a player he seems I don't think he'd be right for us.

These players are pretty different - which one is Fornals more like?  I know absolutely sod all about the guy!