Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you are absolutely correct, our best centre back combination currently is Tuanzebe and Mings for me

I am not convinced by Tuanzebe yet. Mostly because he has been hurt for all our best run of form. I worry he is similar to Ream, Kalas, Ayala, aka good at the championship level, but gets bullied in the premier league. 

Time will tell, but I'd sign Tuanzebe in a heart beat if we go up or stay in the championship. He is young and suits Dean. I just don't want him penciled in as our starting center back. 

25 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I am not convinced by Tuanzebe yet. Mostly because he has been hurt for all our best run of form. I worry he is similar to Ream, Kalas, Ayala, aka good at the championship level, but gets bullied in the premier league. 

Time will tell, but I'd sign Tuanzebe in a heart beat if we go up or stay in the championship. He is young and suits Dean. I just don't want him penciled in as our starting center back. 

I respect your opinion and can see your reasoning but I think Tuanzebe can play in the Premier League. There’s a reason he’s still officially a Manchester United player and has played for their first team. I think the only scenario where he signs for us permanently is if we get promoted, even then it’s a long shot in my opinion 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Mings, Cahill, Tuanzebe and Hause. Chester isn't good enough for PL. Keep him if we dont go up, otherwise punt him on with Elphick.

If that is an option, then I agree with you.

I was more thinking from a budget conscious place.

Then again, we just might be able to get Tuanzebe on loan again, if Ole allows it.

9 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

I really don't fancy paying Gary Cahills wages 100k a week? 

The days of signing players over 30 on those wages are gone. I hope. Instead why don't we find the next Cahill. 

Why look for the next Cahill when we found this Cahill? lets bring him home, he's 33 - the peak age for a centre back. It's not like he's had long term injuries in the past that we need to be wary about. If anything he's been well rested this year so should be fresh.

2 year deal would be perfect while we get used to Premier League again. 100k/week but think about the free transfer.. Keane, Stones, McGuire all cost multi tens of millions whereas Cahill would just cost wages, I genuinely feel Cahill is better than all of them.

I hear you about spending big money on 30+ players who are journeymen, but Cahill is proven quality and there is no transfer fee like there was with McCormack, Nzogbia, Bent etc

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Why look for the next Cahill when we found this Cahill? lets bring him home, he's 33 - the peak age for a centre back. It's not like he's had long term injuries in the past that we need to be wary about. If anything he's been well rested this year so should be fresh.

2 year deal would be perfect while we get used to Premier League again. 100k/week but think about the free transfer.. Keane, Stones, McGuire all cost multi tens of millions whereas Cahill would just cost wages, I genuinely feel Cahill is better than all of them.

I hear you about spending big money on 30+ players who are journeymen, but Cahill is proven quality and there is no transfer fee like there was with McCormack, Nzogbia, Bent etc

Surely we could offset wages with a signing on fee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

Don't think Cahill at all would be suited to our squad for the premier,  much better and younger talent out there in my eyes.

He would also want a fortune in wages right?, If it goes wrong with him we would  be stuck for 2 to 3 years with another wasted signing on massive wages.

Sure The whattsapp trio have there eyes on targets already and doubt Cahill will fit into the list.

One good side to Cahill is he would  be another giant in the team at nearly 6ft 4 inch, we could do away with one of our hobbits.

What about 31 year old Jan Vertonghen?? or try buy Kompany from city aged 33, since he's hardly seen game time, would Liverpool sell van dijk aged 27??

We do have to make a statement if we enter the premier, we can't really be buying players who might not cut it, we need real talent if we go up from the world stage. Sure it will cost us big, but we need players who will bring even more fans to games as well as give us the very best chance to win games. Wolves have done well, how much have they spent since going up, a fair amount have they not?? If you don't spend in the prem, then we will just end up struggling all over again, just we have to spend wisely that's all and not get caught out on waste of time signings that won't materialise but that's easy said that done.

Edited by Dave-R

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Don't think Cahill at all would be suited to our squad for the premier,  much better and younger talent out there in my eyes.

He would also want a fortune in wages right?, If it goes wrong with him we would  be stuck for 2 to 3 years with another wasted signing on massive wages.

Sure The whattsapp trio have there eyes on targets already and doubt Cahill will fit into the list.

One good side to Cahill is he would  be another giant in the team at nearly 6ft 4 inch, we could do away with one of our hobbits.

What about 31 year old Jan Vertonghen?? or try buy Kompany from city aged 33, since he's hardly seen game time, would Liverpool sell van dijk aged 27??

We do have to make a statement if we enter the premier, we can't really be buying players who might not cut it, we need real talent if we go up from the world stage. Sure it will cost us big, but we need players who will bring even more fans to games as well as give us the very best chance to win games. Wolves have done well, how much have they spent since going up, a fair amount have they not?? If you don't spend in the prem, then we will just end up struggling all over again, just we have to spend wisely that's all and not get caught out on waste of time signings that won't materialise but that's easy said that done.

Yes, but I don't get why you think Cahill would be a failure or even a risk? And why he wouldn't fit the system? He's a ball playing centre back and an outstanding defender. 

Think he's better than Vertonghen, Kompany is a crock, and he's certainly won more than Van Dijk.. not sure why youre even mentioning those 3 as they arent even available? 

23 hours ago, Spoony said:

I think we’ve got to be a bit careful being wooed by our own players who have been decent at this level (including those on loan). Most of or current squad do not have the quality required to compete at PL level. 

It depends what you mean by compete? 

I'd also be cautious of being wooed by Premier League money and thinking you can build an entire squad overnight and survive. Of those here on loan, who is it you don't think would be good enough for that level? Hause I'll give you, but he would possibly be a capable squad player in the short term with room to grow. Tammy is the only other that gives me pause for thought, but then so would <insert random dutch striker>. Mings, Tuanzebe and El Ghazi are Premier League, no doubt in my mind about it. 

No, this squad isn't going to win titles, but it would stand a chance of surviving. Add 4/5 quality pieces to it and who knows, we might have a bit more fun than mere survival. Too much churn and we do a Fulham.

We should be looking at Wolves and taking note. Ultimately I think some have and are still underestimating the ability in our squad and the tune our Head Coach is getting from them, I don't think what's happening right now is a fluke. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Tuanzebe is good enough for Manchester United now. I thought that in October too, so no wooing going on. I think he's a better footballer than Mings personally. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Tuanzebe is good enough for Manchester United now. I thought that in October too, so no wooing going on. I think he's a better footballer than Mings personally. 

I have to strongly disagree, he’s comfortable on the ball and stepping out of defence really helps us attack. However, his reading of the play isn’t great and makes up for it because he is quick. Balls in the air he doesn’t read at all and often gets caught out with the ball over the top. He wouldn’t get in Man Utd yet, that’s why he’s playing at a lower level for us 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I like the look of this Van dijk aged 27... you reckon we could tempt Liverpool into selling? 

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It depends what you mean by compete? 

I'd also be cautious of being wooed by Premier League money and thinking you can build an entire squad overnight and survive. Of those here on loan, who is it you don't think would be good enough for that level? Hause I'll give you, but he would possibly be a capable squad player in the short term with room to grow. Tammy is the only other that gives me pause for thought, but then so would <insert random dutch striker>. Mings, Tuanzebe and El Ghazi are Premier League, no doubt in my mind about it. 

No, this squad isn't going to win titles, but it would stand a chance of surviving. Add 4/5 quality pieces to it and who knows, we might have a bit more fun than mere survival. Too much churn and we do a Fulham.

We should be looking at Wolves and taking note. Ultimately I think some have and are still underestimating the ability in our squad and the tune our Head Coach is getting from them, I don't think what's happening right now is a fluke. 

Very fair points, but I’m not convinced we have the quality to survive in the PL with our current crop. Is El Ghazi good enough? He’s hot and cold in the Championship. Abraham is proven to be ineffective at that level and had to drop down to the Championship. Mings has been quality for us, but he can’t get into the Bournemouth squad and had to drop down a level. Hourihane isn’t even close to PL quality and neither are Adomah, Kodjia, Elmohamady, etc.

I’m not trying to be negative for the sake of being negative and I’d love for our loanees to be a success here and stay with us, but the gulf between top drawer championship and PL survival alone is vast IMO and it’s easy to lose sight of that. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Junxs said:

So Gary Cahill who is 2 years younger than Whelan, and a far better player with infinite more trophies is finished despite being part of Englands world cup squad last summer...

Yet Whelan who's spent the last 2 years a division below is good for another year despite being 2 years older and plays in a position that requires far more running? ok.

2 years older but starting games and playing very well, Cahill’s started 1 premier league this year and after playing most of the europa league games didn’t get picked in either of the quarter final games. 

He played in the third place playoff at the World Cup, a game England lost. He was only there because he’s an old head in a very young squad. Whelan is still playing and starting for Ireland.

I’m not saying Whelan should be playing 38 games if we go up but I think he’d stay for a year at little cost, do a job against lesser sides when needed, is apparently a great figure for the group and considering the money spunked on the lazy sacks of shit at this club a year extension is the least he deserves considering his input.

Cahill is at the end of his career and will want lots of money over several years.

Richards and Lescott won infinitely more trophies than Whelan too, that didn’t really count for much did it?

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

Very fair points, but I’m not convinced we have the quality to survive in the PL with our current crop. Is El Ghazi good enough? He’s hot and cold in the Championship. Abraham is proven to be ineffective at that level and had to drop down to the Championship. Mings has been quality for us, but he can’t get into the Bournemouth squad and had to drop down a level. Hourihane isn’t even close to PL quality and neither are Adomah, Kodjia, Elmohamady, etc.

I’m not trying to be negative for the sake of being negative and I’d love for our loanees to be a success here and stay with us, but the gulf between top drawer championship and PL survival alone is vast IMO and it’s easy to lose sight of that. 

Yes El Ghazi is good enough for the Premier League. I think you're overestimating the quality (and consistency) of PL wingers a touch if you think not. As are Mings and Tuanzebe, them not getting into their respective squads has nothing to do with ability. I feel like you're stretching the point there. I have questions over Tammy, but he wouldn't be the first 20 year old to struggle in a horrible side facing relegation who don't create chances.

The four you mention at the end, well they would indeed likely be either gone or become fringe players at best. It's not an all or nothing scenario though. You take the squad as it is, remove some of the chaff and (attempt to) inject 4/5 quality players and off you go.

I don't think this gulf you mention exists to be honest. The teams who go up and stay up are those who stick mostly by the team and with the momentum that got them there. There's nothing flukey about what we're doing here like a Huddersfield or a Cardiff, we're a very good Championship side. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I have to strongly disagree, he’s comfortable on the ball and stepping out of defence really helps us attack. However, his reading of the play isn’t great and makes up for it because he is quick. Balls in the air he doesn’t read at all and often gets caught out with the ball over the top. He wouldn’t get in Man Utd yet, that’s why he’s playing at a lower level for us 

yeah I agree, he's not there yet and with who utd already have (smalling, jones, bailly, lindelof) I don't see him getting enough game time, you could also argue that fosu-mensah is ahead of him out of the loan players and that they need a big name CB to push the 2 English clowns out of that defence not an up and coming kid

he'll get another loan next season

• Like 2

I see people talking about surviving, sorry I want us to build for a future of competing and eventually reigning. Go hard or go home and I suggest that's what we start with, i expect that its what the Owners want, which is to win things.

Edited by Dave-R

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yes El Ghazi is good enough for the Premier League. I think you're overestimating the quality (and consistency) of PL wingers a touch if you think not. As are Mings and Tuanzebe, them not getting into their respective squads has nothing to do with ability. I feel like you're stretching the point there. I have questions over Tammy, but he wouldn't be the first 20 year old to struggle in a horrible side facing relegation who don't create chances.

The four you mention at the end, well they would indeed likely be either gone or become fringe players at best. It's not an all or nothing scenario though. You take the squad as it is, remove some of the chaff and (attempt to) inject 4/5 quality players and off you go.

I don't think this gulf you mention exists to be honest. The teams who go up and stay up are those who stick mostly by the team and with the momentum that got them there. There's nothing flukey about what we're doing here like a Huddersfield or a Cardiff, we're a very good Championship side. 

Wolves spent 90million in the summer with another 20million left back on loan. I bet other teams invested well too. I'm not sure what I'm talking about here as I may be picking up fag ends, but injecting 4/5 quality players is going to cost 90-100million. We'd need them too—striker (x2?), right wing, (I'd say left wing too as we can't solely rely on El Ghazi, who looks good at times but can be inconsistent in the Championship), DM, Left back, maybe a keeper. We'd have to sign Mings, Tuanzebe, Hause too. We could probably do with another midfielder for competition's sake.

Goalkeeper is still a bit of a puzzle, yes Steer has done fine but I don’t think he’s PL quality. Nyland is poor in my opinion and Kalinic is a bit of an unknown quantity still. We spent €6m (as corrected by @sne)on him so I doubt we’ll be buying another GK in the summer so hopefully he’s good enough.

Defence; Mings, Tuanzebe are both good enough for PL, but aren’t our players so that’s a bit tricky. The ones who are our players are the poorer ones (Hutton, Elmo, Taylor, Elphick). 

Midfield, we have quite a few good options here, if we don’t get raided in the summer. Adomah can go, as can Bjarnasson. I think we need to sign El Ghazi, and give him a proper LB behind him so he can worry less about defensive cover and have attacking support.

Striker, I would love to sign Tammy, I think he could do it in the PL. 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1