Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

I think we'll surprise a lot of people with the players we'll be targeting this summer, regardless of the league we're playing in next season.  

In a bad way or good way?

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Hope we don't go the Fulham route.

DM, LB and a winger or 2 are absolutely crucial. But anything more than that, I hope we don't go too crazy. We have a very good spine, assuming we retain our loan players for next season.

Mings    Tuanzebe

McGinn         Grealish

El Ghazi

Abraham

Is a better spine than most bottom half PL teams I'd reckon. We should try to build around it and not try to overhaul. We've got decent bench options as well. Like you say I think we're in for a pleasant surprise on the transfer front next season.

Can we go the Wolves way? 😛

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In a bad way or good way?

Can we go the Wolves way? 😛

Oh hell yeah!

That's exactly the model I want us to follow. A couple of Rui Patricio/Moutinho/Jimenez type complimentary signings but largely the same team that got promoted.

• Like 1

I really hope we go down the nurture to improve route than trying to sign has-beens looking for a big final payday.

Been there, done that, and got the relegation and 3 seasons of recovery work to prove it.

Edited by Thug
Spelling
  • Like 2

On 24/04/2019 at 12:08, Junxs said:

Cahill was the main stay in the England team winning 71 caps. Richards was crock before we bought him and was never a centre back anyway. Lescott was never as good as Cahill, and spent a large part of his career injured too. Terry would be a better example to use. Cahill is 3 years younger than when we signed Terry and will only cost slightly more in wages than Terry did, plus we'd have Premier league money this time. 

Not every 30+ aged player is going to be a disaster, you have to look at each transfer individually. Nothing in Cahills illustrious career suggests it would be a bad signing other than some other players of a similar age didn't work out for us! 

Tonev was 22, so you suggest we never buy a 22 year old again? 

Doesn’t matter how many caps he has now, he’s not at that level any more.

Mings was never a centre back before he came here. Richards played in a back 3 as a centre back at Fiorentina. 

Lescott and Kompany and Terry and Cahill were both fantastic centre back partnerships. They spent hundreds of millions trying to replace Lescott.

Compare Terry to Cahill? Terry is an all time great, do me a favour.

Neither of us have any idea about wages but i reckon as Cahill is 3 years younger and we’d have premier league money and there’d be no transfer fee we’d be paying quite a lot more than “slightly” more than terrys wages, which were already big.

I’m not saying every 30+ player will be a disaster, you’ve assumed that. I’m saying we should move away from signing players 30+ because there’s little to chance of moving them on and they’ll want long, heavy contracts to see them into retirement/ a stint in Australia.

I’m not even saying Cahill would be a disaster, the point i wanted to get across was that there are far better options out there, these calls for Cahill feel like the calls for Milner, Barry, Benteke etc just move on, like they left for bigger things and you want them back now in the hope they’ll be back to their old selves? Thats not how it works, form and age can change a player very quickly.

Give it a year and we’ll see people saying “ooh let's get Delph back he was a player.” 

I agree we look at each transfer individually, why would Cahill be good for us? Because he’s had a strong career? Okay, thats exactly the same basis for the players that i mentioned. He hasnt played for a year and you think that means he’ll be rested? it means he’s not wanted, he’s hoping some mug of a club who’ll think a year without playing (while ready for selection) is fine and will give him a big ol’ contract. 

Because Tonev was bad we shouldnt sign people aged 22? No mate, we shouldn’t sign people who are shit or too old or haven’t played professional football for a year.

Jansson isnt fit to lace Mings or Tuanzebe's boots. And he's a cheating bastard and spends most of his time with a handful of shirt if not actually wrestling opponents to the ground. An oaf, lucky to stay on the pitch. No thanks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Jansson isnt fit to lace Mings or Tuanzebe's boots. And he's a cheating bastard and spends most of his time with a handful of shirt if not actually wrestling opponents to the ground. An oaf, lucky to stay on the pitch. No thanks.

Oafs are what I was screaming at him, while jumping up and down on the sofa. 

How much would it cost us to sign our loan players permanently? If we go up I'd love us to do that (Carroll aside), and add real quality at DM, LB and wing. We don't need to spend big money other than that - though I imagine that in itself would be quite an outlay. 

Sadly I think Tuanzebe won't be allowed to leave, Bournemouth will surely want to keep Mings if they've been watching him here, and Tammy might stay at Chelsea depending on the management. 

I really like this team - would love to keep it together for the next few years.

This current team + a starting LB, CM, RW (or LW depending on what side El Ghazi plays) and possibly a GK would have a fair shot at staying up IMO.

Problem is we have so many on loan players who are vital to us.

42 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

How much would it cost us to sign our loan players permanently? If we go up I'd love us to do that (Carroll aside), and add real quality at DM, LB and wing. We don't need to spend big money other than that - though I imagine that in itself would be quite an outlay. 

Sadly I think Tuanzebe won't be allowed to leave, Bournemouth will surely want to keep Mings if they've been watching him here, and Tammy might stay at Chelsea depending on the management. 

I really like this team - would love to keep it together for the next few years.

Agreed, main focus should be to keep our top loan players, and compliment them with 2 or 3 signings of real quality.

EDIT: I genuinely think Tuanzebe could deputise as a brilliant defensive mid.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Guilbert    Axel    Mings    Hause

New DM

McGinn            Grealish

New Winger                       El Ghazi

Tammy

Tell me this team won't be competitive in the PL next season. Can't wait for the summer, especially if we get promoted.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Its not the first time he has done that vs us, he has a nice habit of accidentally falling on people from set-pieces. He did it to somebody a few seasons back might have been Lansbury

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

New DM

Tammy

Tell me this team won't be competitive in the PL next season. Can't wait for the summer, especially if we get promoted.

Agreed. We aren't far from having a competitive PL team. 

Just now, av1 said:

Agreed. We aren't far from having a competitive PL team. 

Pretty impressive how we've completely rebuilt that awful team that got relegated in 2016 in just 3 seasons. We've made some mistakes along the way, but our core is excellent.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

New DM

Tammy

We'd be relegated. All other 19 teams will have a goalkeeper

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Keyblade said:

New DM

Tammy

Gardner as the DM? Would be a great story if it did happen, Green as the winger? Would be great for us and the academy

• Haha 1

Gary Gardner? Really? Not now mate. He's found his level.

New DM will probably be some gem French African kid from the continent and the winger Daniel James, Jarrod Bowen or both.