Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

10 hours ago, MrSmirch said:

Cahill is at the end of his career and will want lots of money over several years.

Richards and Lescott won infinitely more trophies than Whelan too, that didn’t really count for much did it?

Cahill was the main stay in the England team winning 71 caps. Richards was crock before we bought him and was never a centre back anyway. Lescott was never as good as Cahill, and spent a large part of his career injured too. Terry would be a better example to use. Cahill is 3 years younger than when we signed Terry and will only cost slightly more in wages than Terry did, plus we'd have Premier league money this time. 

Not every 30+ aged player is going to be a disaster, you have to look at each transfer individually. Nothing in Cahills illustrious career suggests it would be a bad signing other than some other players of a similar age didn't work out for us! 

Tonev was 22, so you suggest we never buy a 22 year old again? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Goalkeeper is still a bit of a puzzle, yes Steer has done fine but I don’t think he’s PL quality. Nyland is poor in my opinion and Kalinic is a bit of an unknown quantity still. We spent €6m (as corrected by @sne)on him so I doubt we’ll be buying another GK in the summer so hopefully he’s good enough.

How about Butland? IF we go up. Guess he would cost a lot of money, though. Kalinic really is of unknown quality in the english game.

Sell, Nyland, meaning give a club a few millions to take him off our hands.

1 minute ago, Pelle said:

How about Butland? IF we go up. Guess he would cost a lot of money, though. Kalinic really is of unknown quality in the english game.

Sell, Nyland, meaning give a club a few millions to take him off our hands.

Stoke asking £30m for him apparently.

Bit much.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Just a tad. Was afraid so. Next. De Gea?

He's looking like the De Gea in the first few months of his Man Utd career. That is, a complete oaf with empty crisp packet hands and the reactions of a bowl Ready Brek.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

He's looking like the De Gea in the first few months of his Man Utd career. That is, a complete oaf with empty crisp packet hands and the reactions of a bowl Ready Brek.

Nah, I think he's a rather good PL-keeper. :) But obviously not worth £30m. £10m, perhaps. But if it wasn't for him we'd have 11 straight wins by now and been behind wba only on gd.

5 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

Wolves spent 90million in the summer with another 20million left back on loan. I bet other teams invested well too. I'm not sure what I'm talking about here as I may be picking up fag ends, but injecting 4/5 quality players is going to cost 90-100million. We'd need them too—striker (x2?), right wing, (I'd say left wing too as we can't solely rely on El Ghazi, who looks good at times but can be inconsistent in the Championship), DM, Left back, maybe a keeper. We'd have to sign Mings, Tuanzebe, Hause too. We could probably do with another midfielder for competition's sake.

I don't disagree with the amount of money we will need to spend. Spend it on quality, not necessarily quantity. 

I agree with signing all of the loan signings if possible. That's part and parcel of keeping the squad together and adding to it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I mean, are you guys sure Tuanzebe isn't good enough for Manchester United?

He is too good for them, he wants to play for a top team..... Not mid table dross

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d love us to pick up Lolley and Bowen. Imagine a 3 of Lolley, Grealish and Bowen. All Villa fans 👍🏻

Is Bowen a villa fan?

I've said for about 3 years we should get Bowen. Whenever we play Hull, he runs the show.  Scores decent figures too for a wide player.  £10m? 

Obviously we are talking about two different scenarios depending on promotion or not. If we're not promoted we gotta thing more sustainable. But in case of promotion, well the more I think about it I think Cahill would be an excellent signing. 

I completely agree we need to move towards signing young hungry players with potential resale value on lower wages. It's just how we have to operate, but even then you can afford signing a few senior heads with experience. Our fault in the past has been we've made those our majority signings, instead of having them spice up the rest. The amount of aging players we've signed on high wages the last 10 years must be very high, but it doesn't mean we should avoid looking at experienced high quality players. There's a balance here and we need to find it. Cahill is from what I know a top quality player who despite his age still has legs, has captained in the Champions League and England. Saying no to signing him simply cause we want to move towards a more sustainable model would be pretty foolish. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

I have heard his dad has a season ticket in Holte End.

Jarrod and rest of family also are all Villa Fans.

I live in the town Jarrod comes from and am friends with people that know him well. 

His dad is a villa fan but I don't think a season ticket holder. Jarrod is NOT a villa fan, I think he had man utd shirts growing up but doesn't really follow them, he just loves the game. 

Ive seen this rumour a few times now and just wanted to put it to bed. Not picking on you individually villan4life.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

I live in the town Jarrod comes from and am friends with people that know him well. 

His dad is a villa fan but I don't think a season ticket holder. Jarrod is NOT a villa fan, I think he had man utd shirts growing up but doesn't really follow them, he just loves the game. 

Ive seen this rumour a few times now and just wanted to put it to bed. Not picking on you individually villan4life.

Thanks for clearing things up @Mjvilla. Respect

45 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Double it. 

Just had a quick google, 35 goals in 93 apps - pretty good for someone who has been used mainly as a "wide forward"!

Also, his contract expires next summer (plus a years option), so now would be an excellent time to begin negotiating with Hull for him! 

Also, he had an unsuccessful trial with us before joining Hereford as a 16 year old. 

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d love us to pick up Lolley and Bowen. Imagine a 3 of Lolley, Grealish and Bowen. All Villa fans 👍🏻

I think people underestimate the morale and fight "Villa fans" are bringing. I think Dean would be keen too.

Obviously they would have to have quality too, but it is a given they fight that much harder for the cause.