Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

So, only us, Sheff Utd and Brighton have been linked to Maupay from the Prem. Why is that?

If he’s this certainty of a Premier League striker that many seem to think, why are others not in for him? Is it the price? Or perhaps his height? Or maybe he’s just a gamble that could be next on the list of prolific Championship strikers that haven’t been able to step up?

I’m genuinely asking btw, not being anti-Maupay.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

So, only us, Sheff Utd and Brighton have been linked to Maupay from the Prem. Why is that?

If he’s this certainty of a Premier League striker that many seem to think, why are others not in for him? Is it the price? Or perhaps his height? Or maybe he’s just a gamble that could be next on the list of prolific Championship strikers that haven’t been able to step up?

I think you answered your own question in the last sentence. Could be the next Scott Hogan, Michael Chopra, Danny Graham, Patrick Bamford etc...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

He's 2cm shorter than Aguero

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's 2cm shorter than Aguero

He's also a dirty little b*gger and VAR might be a problem for him in the Prem.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I still think we enquired for Maupay were quoted stupid money so looked at other options some of which may still be under negotiation. Maupay may well of been plan B or C all along.

He would no doubt be a good signing, but not at 20 million.

Blades fan on FPL site said he was buzzing with their signings so far so I asked who they bought. Jeez massively prefer our transfer business...

Ravel morrison, luke freeman, mousset, Hendo, jagielka, Robinson, osborn so far

6 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Isn't every signing a gamble an uncertainty??

No one knows how a signing is going to play once they enter a new club, it's like waiting for fog to dissapear, you never know if it's going to get thicker or lift.

We do not know who asked about him for a start, only brentford will know that. U doubt Maupay's height as anything to do with it, he scored that many with his height in the championship. The price is off putting, considering the money we've spent so far. 

Who is more of a risk here Harry Wilson from Liverpool or Maupay from Brentford, I'd rather risk on Maupay because of how many he has scored, yet that doesn't mean he will go do sane in the premier. 

Again it's all a risk and people can over analyse things till the cows come home, fact of the matter is we simply wont know till we take the risk and try him on the pitch in our squad. I'm no Smith but if Smith wants him and chooses to sign him, I have to believe Smith is signing because he feels Maupay can simply bring goals.

I do however think If any of the strikers can come in from the championship and make an impact that Maupay could be the one.

I think we should bring him in and I've been excited of the thought of a Wesley and Maupay attack for some time now. I would rather have Maupay here than kodjia or Hogan that is fact, I don't feel either kodj or Hogan can do the job, I feel Wes and Maupay can..

I still don’t think we need Maupay. It’s not like we play two upfront either or atleast we won’t do in the PL. I think for the role he will play this season Kodjia is fine. We don’t necessarily need £20m+ backups on the bench. Wesley is our main focal point and by the looks of it we are going for goals throughout the team as opposed to just our main number 9, which he is good for. Unless we get rid of Hogan and Kodjia it’s not happening and quite frankly if they are asking £20m+ for him at this stage of the season I’d rather keep what we have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I still don’t think we need Maupay. It’s not like we play two upfront either or atleast we won’t do in the PL. I think for the role he will play this season Kodjia is fine. We don’t necessarily need £20m+ backups on the bench. Wesley is our main focal point and by the looks of it we are going for goals throughout the team as opposed to just our main number 9, which he is good for. Unless we get rid of Hogan and Kodjia it’s not happening and quite frankly if they are asking £20m+ for him at this stage of the season I’d rather keep what we have.

I understand what you’re saying and spreading the goals around is always a good thing. However you always need a decent haul from at least one striker and if Wesley got a long term injury or loss of form, I’m not sure we’d get that from Kodjia or Hogan. Plus it leaves us short of options or genuine rotation up front. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I understand what you’re saying and spreading the goals around is always a good thing. However you always need a decent haul from at least one striker and if Wesley got a long term injury or loss of form, I’m not sure we’d get that from Kodjia or Hogan. Plus it leaves us short of options or genuine rotation up front. 

It's a conundrum. We need better back up but our system is 1 up front and don't want to displace 2-3 behind of say Luiz McGinn - Jota Grealish AEG/Trez

• Like 1

Huge reservations about Maupay & not sure why .. if we don’t get another striker but say got Benrahma to supplement the flanks in an extreme injury crisis I’d put jack up top as a false 9, I reckon he would do real damage in that position. 

Edited by thabucks

@Dave-R Not every signing is a gamble, but yes, most are.

My point is that I’ve seen a lot of people saying he WILL be a good signing (eg: @VillanousOne on this page saying ‘he would no doubt be a good signing’) and I’m just unsure where all that faith in him has come from - when, to me, he’s no different to any Championship goalscorer.

@Dave-R I’d say Maupay is less of a risk than Wilson, but only just. Both the same age, both have potential to get better, both have performed well in their respective positions. But Maupay has had much more senior gametime.

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

@Dave-R Not every signing is a gamble, but yes, most are.

My point is that I’ve seen a lot of people saying he WILL be a good signing (eg: @VillanousOne on this page saying ‘he would no doubt be a good signing’) and I’m just unsure where all that faith in him has come from - when, to me, he’s no different to any Championship goalscorer.

@Dave-R I’d say Maupay is less of a risk than Wilson, but only just. Both the same age, both have potential to get better, both have performed well in their respective positions. But Maupay has had much more senior gametime.

Just to add my 2 cents, I think every signing is a gamble, it’s just the risk can decrease significantly. Look at high profile, big money moves that haven’t worked out... Torres at Chelsea, even our own Benteke. I think as the cost goes up you’re paying for everything they’ve done up to that moment, but the future is always a gamble to some extent. Just my opinion though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Blades fan on FPL site said he was buzzing with their signings so far so I asked who they bought. Jeez massively prefer our transfer business...

Sounds like Brucey business

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I’d sell Kodija in a heartbeat if we had a decent bid for him. He’s served his purpose for us and can now go and get another big contract somewhere else.

Maupay would be an excellent back up for Wesley and would also allow us to play two up top if we wanted.

No signing is risk free but Maupay will work his nuts off and will not be overawed. The work ethic coupled with being a bit of a dirty bugger means he has every chance of succeeding for us.

I think while Hogan is here, I’d rather keep Kodjia and send Hogan on his way. Wesley, (New Striker, eg Maupay) & Kodjia would be a decent set of options. Then there is Davis and Hepburn-Murphy who would likely be loaned out.

I think, if Kodjia gets a few games through injuries/ rotation/ cup schedule, he’ll still prove his worth and bag a few goals. That could see his value rise, instead of currently being seen as a player that barely got a run of games under Smith last season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Lys Mousset ... 1 goal in 24 PL appearances.