Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

23 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Alan Nixon has well and truly lost his marbles 

I’d say it’s likely McGinn’s agent is working the media during a contract renegotiation. There was another outlandish rumour about him a few days ago. 

From a United perspective, he is just the type of player they could do with to be honest.

However, hopefully their egos are too big to want him.

We could do alot with 50 mill, but I feel John is worth more than money to us!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I love McGinn, and I don't believe a word of the report.

That said, we paid what, £2.75 million for him a year ago? If we can turn that into £50 million, you do it without thinking twice.

No chance. He is the beating heart of our team. I don’t believe it either but just in case it is true........they can well and truly jog on

• Like 2

If we had lost in the play-off final it would have been "Man Utd prepare stunning £25m bid for McGinn."

This has to be one of the worst rumours of the summer so far. To think these journalists actually get paid for making this shit up.

58 minutes ago, Farlz said:

We will be above Man Utd soon enough and McGinn knows it. They are a club that whilst will always be there or there abouts in top half, have made some terrible decisions since Ferguson has left. They will follow what Liverpool did in the 90s and spend years in relative wilderness.

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

From a United perspective, he is just the type of player they could do with to be honest.

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That, in a nutshell, is us after Phillips and Webster, they know it's what we need and thus the price will soar. Unfortunately for us, we need a lot. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, M_Afro said:

No chance. He is the beating heart of our team. I don’t believe it either but just in case it is true........they can well and truly jog on

I get what you're saying, but I think we as fans have a tendency to place too much value in the intangibles. Like, this thread has been filled with fans talking about how ridiculous it would be for Villa to spend £20 million on Championship players with no PL experience, yet now when there's a reported offer of £50 million for our Championship player with no PL experience (an offer I don't believe to be true) suddenly it's "that's not enough!"

If this ownership group truly believes in the "Moneyball" model or whatever you want to call "a smart, efficient strategy", then getting a 1818% return on a £2.75 million investment after only a year is exactly the kind of move they would do.

But, again, I don't believe a word of it.

Edited by VillaHatesMe
Fixing a rather important typo on the math
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Burnley signed Ben Gibson for 15 million last season. Adams scored 22 goals and 42% contribution in all his teams goals last season. I think you're out of touch with PL transfer fees

Or I just don't rate him 

• Confused 1

If Webster is worth £30 million.

Then Dawson costing£ 5.5 million is very good value for money.

We can’t be spending £15 -£30 million on all the players we need.

This is our first season back in the premier league for 4 years.We need to be pragmatic about the amount of money we spend.

Our  priority is not to get relegated anything else is a bonus.Look at Burnley they sometimes take experienced players just to fill a position for a couple of years.Some people are expecting major signings in every position .I think this is a mistake.Every transfer is a risk.We have spent huge sums on some players that have been disasters.Taking on a experienced player like Dawson whose transfer fee is small and lives in the the area and has premier league experience makes a lot of sense to me.

We need other striking options ,look at Glenn Murray for Brighton ,we would benefit from an experienced player to chip in with goals.

Edited by Londonastonvilla

1 hour ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I love McGinn, and I don't believe a word of the report.

That said, we paid what, £2.75 million for him a year ago? If we can turn that into £50 million, you do it without thinking twice.

What we paid for him makes no odds. It's his value to us now that matters. In the current inflated market can we replace McGinn with that £50m? Not sure we can tbh.

It's a bit like when people get excited about their house price going up by 50%. Yeah nice one, then when you sell it, you discover that all the houses you want to live in have also gone up by 50%.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

How about bollocks, and keep your cash!

...oh, and have you made your mind up yet on when your letting Tuanzebe join us? The £20m is sitting ready and waiting to be transferred to you.

• Like 1

Man Utd prepare stunning £50m bid for Aston Villa's McGinn

What does he mean by prepare? Have they got to count out all the £1 coins and bag them up first or something?

But regardless, This news simply cannot be true as I've read nowhere that we are 'bracing ourselves' for such an apparent 'stunning' bid!.

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah the home grown in our squad could be:

Butland, Steer, hause, Grealish, targett,  Mings, Webster.

Still would need 1 more for English quota, but that could be green, Ramsey, Revan etc?

Or Tuanzebe.

33 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Man Utd prepare stunning £50m bid for Aston Villa's McGinn

What does he mean by prepare? Have they got to count out all the £1 coins and bag them up first or something?

But regardless, This news simply cannot be true as I've read nowhere that we are 'bracing ourselves' for such an apparent 'stunning' bid!.

tenor.gif?itemid=14161225

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I get what you're saying, but I think we as fans have a tendency to place too much value in the intangibles. Like, this thread has been filled with fans talking about how ridiculous it would be for Villa to spend £20 million on Championship players with no PL experience, yet now when there's a reported offer of £50 million for our Championship player with no PL experience (an offer I don't believe to be true) suddenly it's "that's not enough!"

If this ownership group truly believes in the "Moneyball" model or whatever you want to call "a smart, efficient strategy", then getting a 182% return on a £2.75 million investment after only a year is exactly the kind of move they would do.

But, again, I don't believe a word of it.

Moneyball is about buying below value and selling above value. The raw figures are irrelevant. If we think McGinn is worth more to us today than £50m then we won't sell him, regardless of the 1820% profit on offer (you missed a zero 😉). That still fits the Moneyball model.

Edited by KentVillan