Racism Part two

Demitri_C

@KentVillan  Where I am trying to get to with all this ... yes we all have biases, for some of us for race, politics, cars whatever. I can't help thinking trying to understand the source of the socially unwanted bias and dealing with the antecedent events that cause the bias is a better solution than shaming racists etc. Or at least develop a more subtle approach that deals with racist tendencies.

Yeah, @fruitvillaI think where it is ordinary people who have suspicions or grievances or whatever, it is better to try and unpick what’s behind them and don’t just shut them down.

Where it’s self-styled public intellectuals perpetuating racist theories on the basis of junk science, or their political frontmen, then I think it needs very aggressively shutting down and shaming.

I think USA needs to stop making a permanent link between race = economic status. The table at 3 mins in shows that minorities (regardless of economic status) were given preference over non minorities with low-economic status. 

We see in Europe where 95%+ of people are white. That the economic status is the key driver of grades. Kids from better off families get higher grades than those from poorer backgrounds. 

I think it's fair to judge kids from different upbringings differently. Given there is an inherent advantage for better off kids than poorer kids. 

• 1 month later...

Last night's BBC 10 o'clock news could have been specially programmed to trigger the Faragistas. Four consecutive items: boats crossing the channel, Muslim attacks on Christian churches in Pakistan, Rotherham grooming gangs and stats showing 30% of babies in the UK born to non-UK-born parents. 

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Here in Ireland the far right were defeated in Cork today too as they are running an anti library campaign

An anti-library campaign? Why? 

1 hour ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Welcome to see in Birmingham today

Here in Ireland the far right were defeated in Cork today too as they are running an anti library campaign but we're hugely outnumbered. People need to organise and confront these scumbags at every opportunity.

Is this really a far right issue? Thousands upon thousands of the indigenous population who have paid their taxes for years cannot pay their mortgages and barely afford to eat and then look at what is happening. It is bound to cause resentment and anger. Regardless of political persuasion.

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Indigenous?

What date would you put on indigenous?

Might be the wrong word, but people who have worked and lived and paid taxes who can not pay their mortgages and barely feed their family’s. Of course migrants coming into the country and getting a free pass are going to piss these people off

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Might be the wrong word, but people who have worked and lived and paid taxes who can not pay their mortgages and barely feed their family’s. Of course migrants coming into the country and getting a free pass are going to piss these people off

Refugees. You mean refugees. 

10 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

What do you mean by free pass? 

I'd rather struggle to pay my mortgage than have to flee a country with my family and make a long and dangerous journey to find safety somewhere. 

And secondly why would anyone in that situation get pissed off at refugees coming to this country? Are they the reason mortgage rates are high? I could have sworn some rich white women **** our economy over not long back.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

If they want to protest about the problems that you cite, aren’t they better off waving their banners about outside their local Conservative club?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Absolutely shocking the number of people that fall for the cookie scam.

spacer.png

I think I may abandon my experiment of reading the Daily Mail and go back to the Star (Daily not Morning) was missing  text maniacs anyway

• Haha 1

What I don't get is that most on the far right seem to think that it's a couple of thousand people fleeing countries with mad dictators\civil wars\USA-NATO\ "#¤"#¤ ups\Russia bombing countries has caused a hike in interest and inflation that is nowhere near what the interest and inflation was in the 70's and 80's when you essentially had to go to Brixton or East London to find any sort of concentration of people of colour\different ethnicity.

You could essentially host 200.000 refugees for a year on one week's worth of Grealish's pay for what they're currently getting.

On 02/09/2023 at 22:06, Follyfoot said:

Curious to know what the "free pass" is, exactly? 😐 

• Like 1

We have so many gaps in terms of work here. Its mad we can't give these people incentives/nhs numbers to get into work and spread them out throughout the UK

Its the same with homeless. Get them into work ans help them 

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We have so many gaps in terms of work here. Its mad we can't give these people incentives/nhs numbers to get into work and spread them out throughout the UK

Its the same with homeless. Get them into work ans help them 

As if it was that easy?

Â