Racism Part two

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, bickster said:

All religions are intolerant of other religions in varying degrees. Some are just much more intolerant than others

I'd go as far to say as the only real practical use for religion is if you are prejudiced and want something to hide behind.  

One of my more controversial opinions is that the public perception of religion is far too low. Most religions call on people to be kind. The current focus on eg the Catholic child abuse scandal will subside and normal, regular, sensible people will come to applaud religion’s effect on the majority of their neighbours.

• Like 1

One thing that kind of surprised me is the recent controversy surrounding Lil Nas X. There seem to be a substantial number of people who believe in the red horned devil caricature. Or maybe there aren't and it's just another avenue to manufacture the latest conservative outrage.

6 hours ago, Enda said:

One of my more controversial opinions is that the public perception of religion is far too low. Most religions call on people to be kind. The current focus on eg the Catholic child abuse scandal will subside and normal, regular, sensible people will come to applaud religion’s effect on the majority of their neighbours.

I've got no problem with the Golden Rule lessons in Christianity, but I despise the judging and the shaming and the repressional aspects of it, not to mention the sex abuse in rhe Catholic church and alignment of Evangelism with far right politics in the USA. When your religious leaders are child rapists and despot whisperers, you might consider alternatives.

22 hours ago, Keyblade said:

One thing that kind of surprised me is the recent controversy surrounding Lil Nas X. There seem to be a substantial number of people who believe in the red horned devil caricature. Or maybe there aren't and it's just another avenue to manufacture the latest conservative outrage.

Those satan shoes look nice ngl

• Like 1

On 31/03/2021 at 17:13, sharkyvilla said:

I'd go as far to say as the only real practical use for religion is if you are prejudiced and want something to hide behind.  

Or to provide hope when all hope is gone

• Like 1

The full story is that the Shadow Equalities Minister went door to door with a leaflet promising to deal with Traveller Incursions.

If the Shadow Equalities Minister can’t see a potential problem with that, she needs to be stood down.

Hmmm, well perhaps I’ve become overly cynical because what I’m seeing is two distinctly different messages for two different groups.

I can see the second and it reads really well. So well, I’m sceptical the first version wasn’t deliberate for that particular leaflet drop area.

Change the word traveller for Jewish or Black or immigrant.

Change the name Nichols for Corbyn or Patel.

Still happy with it?

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Hmmm, well perhaps I’ve become overly cynical because what I’m seeing is two distinctly different messages for two different groups.

I can see the second and it reads really well. So well, I’m sceptical the first version wasn’t deliberate for that particular leaflet drop area.

Change the word traveller for Jewish or Black or immigrant.

Change the name Nichols for Corbyn or Patel.

Still happy with it?

But the T in GRT stands for Traveller, the argument isn't about the word Traveller, its about the use of the word incursion

1 hour ago, bickster said:

But the T in GRT stands for Traveller, the argument isn't about the word Traveller, its about the use of the word incursion

Yes, I agree. 

I was trying, clumsily, to highlight that if Corbyn had made a similar pledge or if Priti Patel had written something similar on the side of a bus, I suspect people would have been less relaxed about the combination of the two words. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the word immigrant, if Patel promised to deal with immigrant incursions, we’d be all over it for the obvious racist connotations.

She’s not a local Labour volunteer, it’s her remit, she’s Shadow on Equality.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Seems pretty clear that she absolutely does see a problem with that

I find it hard to believe that an educated woman was unaware of the meaning of the word 'incursion' to be honest.

She's apologising because it's blown up into a story, not because she's sincere (IMO).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yes, I agree. 

I was trying, clumsily, to highlight that if Corbyn had made a similar pledge or if Priti Patel had written something similar on the side of a bus, I suspect people would have been less relaxed about the combination of the two words. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the word immigrant, if Patel promised to deal with immigrant incursions, we’d be all over it for the obvious racist connotations.

Yes, I think we're at cross purposes slightly. And I now get what you are saying too. You are probably right about Corbyn and Patel

It's a very difficult issue to say anything about without stepping across the line. It's definitely an issue though for those people that live in areas where it happens regularly. Up the road from us in Formby there have been travellers set up in a local park controlled by the council and it a car park of a National Trust site and they aren't individual events, it happens regularly a few times a year. There is also a Travellers site in Formby but it's always full with semi-permanent residents, there needs to be more and bigger sites

• Like 1

Yep, same here, we’ve had a small traveller community here longer than I’ve been alive. But they’ve never had an official camp, so they get moved between one of three unofficial sites about once every 10 years or so and it suits nobody. Not them, not their neighbours.

47 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I find it hard to believe that an educated woman was unaware of the meaning of the word 'incursion' to be honest.

She's apologising because it's blown up into a story, not because she's sincere (IMO).

Yeah maybe.

I have to admit I'm a 35 year old and consider myself well educated, but I didn't know the proper meaning of it.

I'd have said it meant someone or something entering somewhere, potentially somewhere they shouldn't be. I didn't know the implication of "invasion" or "attack" associated with it, or any other connotations which I might still be unaware of.

I'm not excusing her. I have no idea if she meant it or not and I'd suggest a shadow equalities minister should be vetting her material far more stringently if she really wasn't aware of the connotations.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Â