Racism Part two

Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If I'd been sending racist abuse and threats to anyone, let alone a prominent celebrity while I was at school, I'd have been expelled immediately and I imagine most schools are the same.

That could happen, but wouldn't expelling the child be passing the burden on to another school. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

That could happen, but wouldn't expelling the child be passing the burden on to another school. 

I guess. But that's how expulsion works.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I do find it slightly frustrating that the police tweeted Zaha back and had arrested someone more quickly than they bothered to send someone around to my parents when they were burgled.

It's right it was followed up, but it does seem that people being mean on the internet gets a disproportionate response, especially if someone famous is involved.

Fair point but I think the current social situation probably played a big part in their response time too

Yeah I've seen people expelled for way less than tweeting racist threats at a celebrity. Don't think his name should be exposed though. He's just 12. You want him to be punished and to learn from it, not have it follow him around for the rest of his life. That's one way you ensure he never changes and just becomes more entrenched. 9 times out of 10 it's the parent's fault he's like that anyway.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If I'd been sending racist abuse and threats to anyone, let alone a prominent celebrity while I was at school, I'd have been expelled immediately and I imagine most schools are the same.

I'm not sure what it achieves though. Yes, chances of him sending stuff like that again are slim but will it help change his views? Will it help make him a better person? 

Part of the school system is to ensure that when children leave they are a responsible member of society as an adult. If we're not careful, the system just ends up creating and sending a horrible person into the world, which given that his family are probably a huge part of his problem, will likely just repeat the cycle.

Way back in the day, in the death throws of being in school with everyone waiting to see if they would do anything, or go to sixth form, or maybe college, we had a typing lesson. A typing bloody lesson! I think maybe it was so we could type a CV?

Anyway, they let us write whatever letter we wanted. It was basically a free day with typewriters and paper and stamps.

A few wrote to page 3 models asking for photos, I wrote to Aston Villa asking for a photo but there were definitely a few that basically wrote to Leeds or Liverpool or whoever along the lines of ‘you’re shit and you know you are, aaaaahhhh!’. Stuck it in an envelope and posted it off at the expense of the school.

I remember worrying at the time, what if somehow Liverpool FC could trace those letters back to this school? How long would it take? Would it take more than 3 weeks? I’ll be gone in 3 weeks, no way will they trace it before then...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure what it achieves though. Yes, chances of him sending stuff like that again are slim but will it help change his views? Will it help make him a better person? 

Part of the school system is to ensure that when children leave they are a responsible member of society as an adult. If we're not careful, the system just ends up creating and sending a horrible person into the world, which given that his family are probably a huge part of his problem, will likely just repeat the cycle.

You may be right.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but part of the school system has always been to expel kids who do stuff that is really really bad. And whatever way you look at it, sending racist abuse and threats to someone is easily bad enough. It's not like expulsion is a harsh punishment in the context of the school system for something like this.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You may be right.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but part of the school system has always been to expel kids who do stuff that is really really bad. And whatever way you look at it, sending racist abuse and threats to someone is easily bad enough. It's not like expulsion is a harsh punishment in the context of the school system for something like this.

within the school system...not sure if activities out side of the school would be reason for it

and he would then be sent to a referral unit for a couple of years before being reintegrated in to the normal school ready for his exams

Just now, villa4europe said:

within the school system...not sure if activities out side of the school would be reason for it

and he would then be sent to a referral unit for a couple of years before being reintegrated in to the normal school ready for his exams

If I'd done what he did and the school was made aware of it I have no doubt I'd have been expelled.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Way back in the day, in the death throws of being in school with everyone waiting to see if they would do anything, or go to sixth form, or maybe college, we had a typing lesson. A typing bloody lesson! I think maybe it was so we could type a CV?

Anyway, they let us write whatever letter we wanted. It was basically a free day with typewriters and paper and stamps.

A few wrote to page 3 models asking for photos, I wrote to Aston Villa asking for a photo but there were definitely a few that basically wrote to Leeds or Liverpool or whoever along the lines of ‘you’re shit and you know you are, aaaaahhhh!’. Stuck it in an envelope and posted it off at the expense of the school.

I remember worrying at the time, what if somehow Liverpool FC could trace those letters back to this school? How long would it take? Would it take more than 3 weeks? I’ll be gone in 3 weeks, no way will they trace it before then...

You needn’t of worried, nobody can read in Liverpool. 

5 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

"Have" not "of" .

Good England iz essenshul when dissing others England.

Dam it I neva make sily misteaks loik dat! 

Mitigation is I’ve just had a week’s annual leave and my brain has degenerated into a putrid mush. 

• Haha 1

Just now, It's Your Round said:

Dam it I neva make sily misteaks loik dat! 

Mitigation is I’ve just had a week’s annual leave and my brain has degenerated into a putrid mush. 

I never care about grammar and spelling unless somebody messes up whilst making a point about it .😀

You ain't never gonna not catch me not never doing that.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

You may be right.

I completely get where you're coming from, back in our days I think it probably would lead to expulsion. 

It gets into the whole cause and correlation discussion but there is research out there that shows the long term damage being expelled can have on children. In America they call it the school to prison pipeline and I'm sure a recent study in Scotland found that you were 4 times more likely to end up in prison if you were expelled at some point. 

Rightly so, most schools nowadays do whatever it takes to make expulsion the last resort. Usually its more to do with when behaviour in school is so bad that the school can no longer provide an educational setting for that child, but as far as I know, schools need to show that they've tried to put things in place and failed before doing this.

He needs to be punished and there needs to be consequences but expelling him could well lead to a downward spiral in his behaviour, then as adult he becomes a problem to society, instead of just being a very stupid child who needs to be educated about why his views are so wrong. 

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I completely get where you're coming from, back in our days I think it probably would lead to expulsion. 

It gets into the whole cause and correlation discussion but there is research out there that shows the long term damage being expelled can have on children. In America they call it the school to prison pipeline and I'm sure a recent study in Scotland found that you were 4 times more likely to end up in prison if you were expelled at some point. 

Rightly so, most schools nowadays do whatever it takes to make expulsion the last resort. Usually its more to do with when behaviour in school is so bad that the school can no longer provide an educational setting for that child, but as far as I know, schools need to show that they've tried to put things in place and failed before doing this.

He needs to be punished and there needs to be consequences but expelling him could well lead to a downward spiral in his behaviour, then as adult he becomes a problem to society, instead of just being a very stupid child who needs to be educated about why his views are so wrong. 

Yeah I’m not suggesting that the current system is right or wrong. 

Just that within the context of that system, expulsion for something like this isn’t a disproportionate punishment 

Repeat offender it seems as well. Supposedly one of the names to have abused Ian Wright as well.

I genuinely can't get my head around a 12 year old even thinking like that. The stuff he sent Zaha is **** disgusting. It should be something completely alien to a kid, and appalling to anyone.

Sickening to have the club even tangentially associated to this. Especially as Birmingham has a long standing embracing of its many faceted roots.

i'm not of that age, nowhere near, but i refuse to believe that this is an isolated instance. maybe not so much racism, but just generally trolling celebrities/footballers etc. i can imagine it's a 'thing' that the youth of today do for lolz. whilst i agree you shouldn't need to write a 12 year old off at that age, maybe you need to write off one 12 year old kid to set a better example for 1000s of others? if this kid gets expelled, criminal record etc, just think of how many kids will think before they type in the future

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Repeat offender it seems as well. Supposedly one of the names to have abused Ian Wright as well.

I genuinely can't get my head around a 12 year old even thinking like that. The stuff he sent Zaha is **** disgusting. It should be something completely alien to a kid, and appalling to anyone.

Sickening to have the club even tangentially associated to this. Especially as Birmingham has a long standing embracing of its many faceted roots.

That’s the most shocking part.  Maybe he’s just too stupid to understand how wrong he was! 

No where near as bad as what was sent to Zaha but I have a little story.

I was around 15 and I was in an RE class. (The irony).There was a lad sat in front of me. He was a bit of a geek, kept himself to himself, never really bothered anyone. He turned around and looked at me with a big grin on his face and said ‘hello p**i’. 

Now bear in mind id known him for around 4 years and whilst not a mate I was in quite a few classes with him. It was completely out of character and out the blue. I was shocked! Anyway I started beating him up there and then and the teacher broke it up.  He was in tears

Point being he had no idea what he had done wrong. He honestly thought it was light hearted banter and was shocked by my reaction! I doubt he meant any malice at all. 

Some kids just haven’t got a clue. 

Â