Racism Part two

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s the most shocking part.  Maybe he’s just too stupid to understand how wrong he was! 

No where near as bad as what was sent to Zaha but I have a little story.

I was around 15 and I was in an RE class. (The irony).There was a lad sat in front of me. He was a bit of a geek, kept himself to himself, never really bothered anyone. He turned around and looked at me with a big grin on his face and said ‘hello p**i’. 

Now bear in mind id known him for around 4 years and whilst not a mate I was in quite a few classes with him. It was completely out of character and out the blue. I was shocked! Anyway I started beating him up there and then and the teacher broke it up.  He was in tears

Point being he had no idea what he had done wrong. He honestly thought it was light hearted banter and was shocked by my reaction! I doubt he meant any malice at all. 

Some kids just haven’t got a clue. 

Correct, some kids have not got a clue but grow up to be fine upstanding citizens, throwing 12 year old off a cliff is not the way to go about it. We need to be very careful as a society if that is the path some want to go down

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I was around 15 and I was in an RE class. (The irony).There was a lad sat in front of me. He was a bit of a geek, kept himself to himself, never really bothered anyone. He turned around and looked at me with a big grin on his face and said ‘hello p**i’. 

Now bear in mind id known him for around 4 years and whilst not a mate I was in quite a few classes with him. It was completely out of character and out the blue. I was shocked! Anyway I started beating him up there and then and the teacher broke it up.  He was in tears

I had a very similar encounter, on the other side of it, when I was about 11 or 12.

It was pretty common to refer to the corner shop using that word then. I bet my mum would completely deny she'd ever said it these days!

I remember when we were about 10 or 11 at Primary School, two boys started arguing in the playground and one called the other 'a f*****g p**i'. Our headmistress was standing fairly close, so this kid called to her "Miss, he's just called me a p**i".

She said "And are you from Pakistan?" He said no. "Well there you go, he's wrong then isn't he?"

He looked totally bemused. The other kid went from looking terrified about getting told off to laughing and pointing at the Asian lad.

Even at that age I knew it was wrong and the teacher had dealt with it terribly. The injustice of it still pisses me off now.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s the most shocking part.  Maybe he’s just too stupid to understand how wrong he was! 

No where near as bad as what was sent to Zaha but I have a little story.

Point being he had no idea what he had done wrong. He honestly thought it was light hearted banter and was shocked by my reaction! I doubt he meant any malice at all. 

Some kids just haven’t got a clue. 

I agree with the sentiment here but it’s not comparable to the Zaha incident

9 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I remember when we were about 10 or 11 at Primary School, two boys started arguing in the playground and one called the other 'a f*****g p**i'. Our headmistress was standing fairly close, so this kid called to her "Miss, he's just called me a p**i".

She said "And are you from Pakistan?" He said no. "Well there you go, he's wrong then isn't he?"

He looked totally bemused. The other kid went from looking terrified about getting told off to laughing and pointing at the Asian lad.

Even at that age I knew it was wrong and the teacher had dealt with it terribly. The injustice of it still pisses me off now.

I’m sure the factual accuracy is what the offender was going for there. He’ll be so embarrassed after that dressing down

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Shocking! At least in my story the teacher told me to get out and the guy who just got beat up by me got in to further trouble. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, LondonLax said:

It’s not just about a picture of a black person. 

The name ‘Uncle Ben’ is a reference to a time in the US when black people were not considered worthy of being given the title of ‘Mr’ or ‘Mrs’ and were instead nicknamed ‘Uncle’ or ‘Aunty’. 

In the current day calling the guy on the front of the box ‘Uncle’ Ben instead of ‘Mr’ Ben is crass once you become aware of the history. I’m not surprised they are looking at a more up to date branding. 

I wasn't aware of that history, ( how many people are? ) thanks for the update , what is the connection to boiled rice? 

Regards,

VLD.

11 minutes ago, Graham t said:

I wasn't aware of that history, ( how many people are? ) thanks for the update , what is the connection to boiled rice? 

Regards,

VLD.

The rice in question is named Uncle Ben's.

• Haha 3

I just googled Uncle Ben and all this time I was thinking of someone else. A cartoon character that is the brand for curry’s. Where’s a black hat.  I can’t for the life of me remember his name though. 

Can someone help me?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just googled Uncle Ben and all this time I was thinking of someone else. A cartoon character that is the brand for curry’s. Where’s a black hat.  I can’t for the life of me remember his name though. 

Can someone help me?

You're probably thinking of Mr. Benn, the kids cartoon character. 

16266570-1.jpg

Or maybe Nigel Benn the boxer. Or Tony Benn, the former Labour MP.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

I honestly thought it was meant as a term of endearment and always thought how nice it was - such is my ignorance, apologies.  I won't be buying that brand again.

I don't think you need to apologise!

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Can someone help me?

Sounds like a mash up between Mr Benn (kids show) and the Homepride Man. Think they do cooking sauces as part of their range

Homepride_logo.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graham t said:

Regards,

VLD.

18 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Remember when I said the right thing to do in this kind of situation is to try and educate yourself as to why something might be offensive, or inappropriate, or just of it's time, and then understand why a decision like this has been made; rather than decide immediately that they're wrong and dismiss it as silly?

Yeah. You should give it a try some time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sounds like a mash up between Mr Benn (kids show) and the Homepride Man. Think they do cooking sauces as part of their range

Homepride_logo.png

That’s the one!  Him and Mr Benn!

No wonder I was confused about why Uncle Ben was seen as racist.

39 minutes ago, Xela said:

Homepride_logo.png

And as if by magic a chicken Chasseur appeared

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s the one!  Him and Mr Benn!

No wonder I was confused about why Uncle Ben was seen as racist.

Just look at the Homepride man. Clearly a man of wealth with his dapper suit and bowler hat. He must have made his fortune from slave trading. 

Down with the Homepride man! Cancel him!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bielesibub said:

I honestly thought it was meant as a term of endearment and always thought how nice it was - such is my ignorance, apologies.  I won't be buying that brand again.

Are you serious? I think this is a bit unnecessary.

It could definitely be construed as a bit offensive and outdated. The company has acknowledged it's a bit problematic, and are changing it. A boycott over something like this is a bit over the top, IMO. 

It's a bit inappropriate, it's right they update it, but there's no malice there. You should not buy it because it's shit rice, not because of the name. ;) 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Just look at the Homepride man. Clearly a man of wealth with his dapper suit and bowler hat. He must have made his fortune from slave trading. 

Down with the Homepride man! Cancel him!

I’ve since found out his name is ‘Fred the Flour Grader‘ 

Â