Racism Part two

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I bet they always speak the lingo when they rock up in Magaluf and tell Pedro they want uno fish and chips.

No need to, they will only frequent English establishments with pictures of the Queen mother on the wall next to a large display of world banknotes. They will be run by dodgy Essex types who only serve Sunday Roasts, the full English in a morning with curry nights Monday, Wednesday and Friday, (non of that 'foreign muck') karaoke on a Thursday and Saturday whilst forming life long friendships with other English couples that end the moment they get on the plane back to Luton, oh and Happy Hour six till seven

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

clearly the potential in a movement to force change cannot be realised if a critical mass of its supporters are only supportive of its aims in theory,  but reject ideas for change.

This is true. I'd say that any movement to force change that goes down the route of "smash the system" is pretty much doomed to failure.

A movement that has a particular aim and manages to put that across well has a good chance - so "BLM" as a clear message for equality is a terrific starting point.

Given that it was (and still largely) is a disparate, but massively widespread groundswell opinion and shout for change, where a small group of people kind of ride on the back of that sentiment and start imposing their particular "smash the system" solution, they're potentially undermining the original cause, even if they don't mean or want to. If a critical mass of supporters do not support its aims, once they get to specifics, then it's doomed.

So on the specifics by trying to read-across US solutions (in their view) they make a big mistake. For example  "Defund the Police" is not (and is obviously not) a practical solution for the UK. The two systems are massively different. The US tools up their Police with practically military grade equipment and weaponry, exotically funding large parts of that at state level . The UK has a largely unarmed, more centrally (under) funded system. So the situations are necessarily completely different.

Or in short it's no good having ideas for change that will be rejected. When the majority start on your side, it's really important not to lose them with mis-steps on solutions. I don't expect anyone expects BLM to have all the answers. They don't need to.  There's millions out there (here) who can influence and lead and push genuine change. Use that, don't propose "radical" left (or right) wing off the shelf policies from the song books. It doesn't work. It loses people. Always.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blandy said:

This is true. I'd say that any movement to force change that goes down the route of "smash the system" is pretty much doomed to failure.

A movement that has a particular aim and manages to put that across well has a good chance - so "BLM" as a clear message for equality is a terrific starting point.

Given that it was (and still largely) is a disparate, but massively widespread groundswell opinion and shout for change, where a small group of people kind of ride on the back of that sentiment and start imposing their particular "smash the system" solution, they're potentially undermining the original cause, even if they don't mean or want to. If a critical mass of supporters do not support its aims, once they get to specifics, then it's doomed.

So on the specifics by trying to read-across US solutions (in their view) they make a big mistake. For example  "Defund the Police" is not (and is obviously not) a practical solution for the UK. The two systems are massively different. The US tools up their Police with practically military grade equipment and weaponry, exotically funding large parts of that at state level . The UK has a largely unarmed, more centrally (under) funded system. So the situations are necessarily completely different.

Or in short it's no good having ideas for change that will be rejected. When the majority start on your side, it's really important not to lose them with mis-steps on solutions. I don't expect anyone expects BLM to have all the answers. They don't need to.  There's millions out there (here) who can influence and lead and push genuine change. Use that, don't propose "radical" left (or right) wing off the shelf policies from the song books. It doesn't work. It loses people. Always.

What specifically do you want to see changed? It is one thing to 'take the knee' but this is just a gesture of support, but for what? What exactly needs to change? ( please don't say 'everything '). Be specific.

VLD.

On 01/07/2020 at 18:49, Graham t said:

Here's a thought....

If a Premier player had decided he simply did not believe in the political objectives of BLM and had refused to wear that shirt with the BLM motif would he...

Be sacked by his club

Attacked in the street by people who felt insulted by his stance

or

allowed freedom of choice...

'Regards'

VLD.

I see F1 were happy to allow drivers to 'take a knee' or not, depending on their own point of view.... Refreshing to see in our do as I do / pc /thought police world......

VLD.

1 minute ago, Graham t said:

I see F1 were happy to allow drivers to 'take a knee' or not, depending on their own point of view.... Refreshing to see in our do as I do / pc /thought police world......

VLD.

Has any organisation so far has tried to overrule people making their own decision on this? 

6 minutes ago, Graham t said:

VLD.

Why make this shit up?

15 minutes ago, Graham t said:

VLD.

Look, if the people you play golf with are insisting that you do things on your knees, you can always just find other people to play with. 

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Look, if the people you play golf with are insisting that you do things on your knees, you can always just find other people to play with. 

Oh come on, just playing golf at 75 is a feat in itself

9 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Racism? Not really, but tied to this feeling of British (English) exceptionalism

The state of people thinking like this. A Group of Poles will speak Polish regardless of whether they're in Poland, England or Azerbaijan. 

It’s another incident that has cost someone their job today but there is no evidence from the video that the “speak English” part happened is there ?  ... I mean you can put drunk white girl plus Wetherspoons together and come to a conclusion, which it seems a lot of people have , but shouldn’t we wait for the whole picture to emerge before we start tagging people on social media and ruining lives ?  

11 hours ago, Graham t said:

What specifically do you want to see changed? It is one thing to 'take the knee' but this is just a gesture of support, but for what? What exactly needs to change? ( please don't say 'everything '). Be specific.

If I may say so, you’ve completely missed the point I was making. It was nothing to do with what I want, and everything to do with what BLM “leaders” said they want and the impact it has when a protest group ventures away from the original unifying message off into extremist overtly political territory.

But I’ll answer your question anyway. I’d like it to be so that people are not discriminated against, or for, because of their skin colour or race. I want people to treat others as they themselves would wish to be treated. And that’s not how it is right now in far too many cases and aspects of life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

If I may say so, you’ve completely missed the point I was making. It was nothing to do with what I want, and everything to do with what BLM “leaders” said they want and the impact it has when a protest group ventures away from the original unifying message off into extremist overtly political territory.

But I’ll answer your question anyway. I’d like it to be so that people are not discriminated against, or for, because of their skin colour or race. I want people to treat others as they themselves would wish to be treated. And that’s not how it is right now in far too many cases and aspects of life.

I'm with you 100%, and a well thought out post that is far better explained than I could manage. You are particularly observant regarding how people with far left/right views are twisting what is required to reach a very necessary goal. As I have mentioned , we wouldn't even need legislation if people would simply act in a reasonable way and teach their children accordingly, that has to be the nub of the issue surely ( for all colours and faiths ).

VLD.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Has any organisation so far has tried to overrule people making their own decision on this? 

Hi Sam,

I mentioned this simply to illustrate my point regarding 'free expression '. Lewis wanted all the F1 drivers to ' take the knee'. Some said that they didn't feel 'comfortable ' doing this. Lewis then said ' they showed a lack of understanding ' on the issue ( which was inaccurate and insinuated they might not be sympathetic to oppressed black people ). My point was/is that they simply wanted to express their opinion in a different way, and should do so ( which they did). Sorry for the long winded reply but I hope you can see my point know.

VLD.

1 hour ago, Graham t said:

Hi Sam,

I mentioned this simply to illustrate my point regarding 'free expression '. Lewis wanted all the F1 drivers to ' take the knee'. Some said that they didn't feel 'comfortable ' doing this. Lewis then said ' they showed a lack of understanding ' on the issue ( which was inaccurate and insinuated they might not be sympathetic to oppressed black people ). My point was/is that they simply wanted to express their opinion in a different way, and should do so ( which they did). Sorry for the long winded reply but I hope you can see my point know.

VLD.

Nobody has been forced to take a knee

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nobody has been forced to take a knee

Hi ,

Are you purposely misunderstanding my posts ( it is making you look a bit childish, if you don't mind me saying ),

REGARDS,

VLD. 

Â