Racism Part two

Demitri_C

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Why make this shit up?

I'm confused. I thought that was correct. Swear I read that exact thing on the CNN, WP or something similar. 

IIRC Verstappen, Sainz, Raikkonen and that French bloke decided not to. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm confused. I thought that was correct. Swear I read that exact thing on the CNN, WP or something similar. 

IIRC Verstappen, Sainz, Raikkonen and that French bloke decided not to. 

It wasn't the bit about F1 that was made up, It was the bit about others being forced to that was complete and utter bollocks.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

It wasn't the bit about F1 that was made up, It was the bit about others being forced to that was complete and utter bollocks.

But he didn't say that in what you quoted. 

What was said ignoring the F1 bit was 'Refreshing to see in our do as I do / pc /thought police world.....'

Which is fair enough. It's even a relevant point to it. Social movements for change like BLM or MeToo will always take the moral highway and ridicule anyone thinking the cause is slightly bigger than some gimmicky hashtag, bumpersticker or footing/taking a knee. Anyone that offers reasons as to why maybe there's better ways to go about it will be hit with a tornado of suppression techniques. Which is largely how society determine what's right and wrong. Individual thinking goes out the window and people are scared shitless of being different than the rest. 

Now, personally, I think taking a knee would be a very simple sacrifice to me, so if it ment a lot to others so be it. But the idea we can't discuss symbolics and ways of doing stuff, that grinds me the wrong way. 

Fwiw I thought the #metoo movement in Norway was beyond stupid. But I simply couldn't say that at my work cause among this PC environment (that shouts the loudest) I'd be ostracized.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

But he didn't say that in what you quoted. 

What was said ignoring the F1 bit was 'Refreshing to see in our do as I do / pc /thought police world.....'

Which is fair enough. It's even a relevant point to it. Social movements for change like BLM or MeToo will always take the moral highway and ridicule anyone thinking the cause is slightly bigger than some gimmicky hashtag, bumpersticker or footing/taking a knee. Anyone that offers reasons as to why maybe there's better ways to go about it will be hit with a tornado of suppression techniques. Which is largely how society determine what's right and wrong. Individual thinking goes out the window and people are scared shitless of being different than the rest. 

Now, personally, I think taking a knee would be a very simple sacrifice to me, so if it ment a lot to others so be it. But the idea we can't discuss symbolics and ways of doing stuff, that grinds me the wrong way. 

Fwiw I thought the #metoo movement in Norway was beyond stupid. But I simply couldn't say that at my work cause among this PC environment (that shouts the loudest) I'd be ostracized.

That's because you can't quote a quote, it's in the bit above in the original post where he's talking to himself

@KenjiOgiwara of course we should, and demonstrably are, allowed to talk about it.

The reason it got a few backs up is it has been constantly insinuated up to this point that people will be forced to kneel with lots saying that's absolute bollocks. When it was proven to be bollocks there is still an insinuation that this is super surprising in our world, even though I'm not aware of a single example of the opposite happening and someone being forced to make the gesture.

Peer pressure is another thing. Let's be honest all most celebrities will be doing is making a financial calculation as to whether or not a certain position would hurt their careers. There is always going to be public opinion one way or another, personally I'm glad it leans towards supporting peaceful protests.

It's not one sided anyway, as you'll know from the massive amounts of abuse Kapaernick took, including from the president and NFL owners. Has any high profile figure at all had a go at the drivers that didn't kneel?

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

I see you have a reaction on this and I note it with interest.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Anyone that offers reasons as to why maybe there's better ways to go about it will be hit with a tornado of suppression techniques. Which is largely how society determine what's right and wrong. Individual thinking goes out the window and people are scared shitless of being different than the rest. 

Not specific to racism, or to VT, but generally I think this is observably true. It's like in taking a legitimate viewpoint, many people take an approach that casts anyone with a different viewpoint as "acting in bad faith" or having "bad morals" or being prejudiced. Some may be exactly that, but everyone is treated, immediately, as that, without first hearing their viewpoint. It is immediately cast into the "bad faith, bad person" bin. It means there's no dialogue, no discussion, no understanding of different perspectives, just shouting at each other.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

That's because you can't quote a quote, it's in the bit above in the original post where he's talking to himself

He didn’t say that though did he, He asked the question what if? If that’s what you’re referring to 

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Alright. I see he has a convo with himself about ifs and buts. Didn't catch that. But it's a slightly harsh response to it mind. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Not specific to racism, or to VT, but generally I think this is observably true. It's like in taking a legitimate viewpoint, many people take an approach that casts anyone with a different viewpoint as "acting in bad faith" or having "bad morals" or being prejudiced. Some may be exactly that, but everyone is treated, immediately, as that, without first hearing their viewpoint. It is immediately cast into the "bad faith, bad person" bin. It means there's no dialogue, no discussion, no understanding of different perspectives, just shouting at each other.

Totally. But to be perfectly honest I think we're all so used to it at this point. 

It's unfortunate though cause it leads to a less mature more polarized public debate. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

I am right and you are wrong end of discussion

Edited by Follyfoot

Â