Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

He is playing in a role similar to what a goalkeeper experiences. It doesn't matter if you have a solid 89 minutes, one mistake can cost your team the game. There is no room for error.

Most defenders would offer less in those 89 minutes, but would rarely make a mistake as big as he made yesterday. I would rather someone play a 6/10 game every week for 90mins, than someone who plays a 8/10 a game and has 5 minutes of 2/10. 

I don't know if it's a mentality thing, but when you are a CB you need to play the basics right before you do anything else. 

Edited by Mic09

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just saw a stat that no other player has made more errors directly leading to goals since the 2019/2020 season.

We all love Tyrone and can defend him as much as we want but facts are facts.

Having said that, he's done alot more good for us than he has bad.

Lol that’s not actually the stat. It’s supposed to be most amongst outfielders. If you include goalkeepers there are plenty of GKs that have many more errors than him. Hell, Tim Krul had 4 last year alone. For Mings, it’s 5 errors according to the PL site which is essentially one error per year. Xhaka has more errors then him per year if you go beyond 2019. I’m not trying to minimize this issue but it’s not as dire as people make it out to be. Are the errors usually costly? Certainly. But do these errors actually happen that often? No. So let’s put some perspective on it. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Lol that’s not actually the stat. It’s supposed to be most amongst outfielders. If you include goalkeepers there are plenty of GKs that have many more errors than him. Hell, Tim Krul had 4 last year alone. For Mings, it’s 5 errors according to the PL site which is essentially one error per year. Xhaka has more errors then him per year if you go beyond 2019. I’m not trying to minimize this issue but it’s not as dire as people make it out to be. Are the errors usually costly? Certainly. But do these errors actually happen that often? No. So let’s put some perspective on it. 

i feel confident i could point to an average of one a game for Mings.  Not one a season.  Also, when he mis-headed that ball so badly, he stood still to see if Emi would save his butt rather than putting his own body into rescuing his own error.  He  might not have been able to stop Mount but it would have been a whole lot better if he had tried.

Everyone makes mistakes, he'll bounce back. I think we've seen relatively defensively sound so far, and Mings has overall been an integral part of that. We mainly seem to struggle in the transitional play and the final third. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

i feel confident i could point to an average of one a game for Mings.  Not one a season.  Also, when he mis-headed that ball so badly, he stood still to see if Emi would save his butt rather than putting his own body into rescuing his own error.  He  might not have been able to stop Mount but it would have been a whole lot better if he had tried.

“Error leading to goal.” Players make errors all the time. If we’re going off that then players like McGinn and Buendia make significantly more per game. Think people are also getting too bent out of shape with him standing there. He apologized afterwards and was decent for the rest of the game.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

“Error leading to goal.” Players make errors all the time. If we’re going off that then players like McGinn and Buendia make significantly more per game. Think people are also getting too bent out of shape with him standing there. He apologized afterwards and was decent for the rest of the game.

that's if you don't count the clumsy challenge that created the free kick for their second.

13 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Cucarella made about 3 mistakes but we never punished them.

Tyrone when he does make one it always seems a goal.   

Love him still ❤️ 

Said this during the game yesterday when Aubameyang played in Ings. Other way around it gets punished

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Im sorry but we need to upgrade on him for this reason alone. He is a absolute shit show. Im sick to death of him making stupid **** errors like yesterday.

Id happily make him 3rd choice or sell once a new manager comes in. Get a quality  cb in who can play with carlos once he is back

Konsa is more than good enough and he'll come through his bad period. He's starting to already.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Derryvillan said:

Yeah,but unless I read it wrong the total of mistakes is 5.In 3 and 1/4 seasons.Hardly glue factory material.

Yes and he’s almost certainly in the top few for appearances over that period which dilutes the stat too. ‘Error’ is also subjective 

Edited by a m ole

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Victor Valdes dropped a clanger against Liverpool in the CL and the reporter asked Rijkaard about that clanger - Rijkaard’s response was something like “it’s easy to focus on that one instance but in that move we were in their half with the ball and we have lost possession, then an error led to Liverpool progressing into our half and then another error meant we didn’t make the tackles in midfield then another error was we let them shoot and then the error was the Liverpool player got to the ball first from the error of Valdes but he will get the blame instead of the team for allowing them a free shot and then not getting Valdes out of trouble for his part of the big mistake “.

Mings made a big mistake yesterday. He doesn’t make one every game as some claim. He might make micro errors like everyone else in the team. But this notion that he’s a calamity in every game is grade A bollocks. 

The ease at which we left Chilwell get into a dangerous area was really poor as well.

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

The ease at which we left Chilwell get into a dangerous area was really poor as well.

I was livid at the time.

Ramsey was marking him. Chilwell did a half turn and Ramsey - thinking he could win possession - bought it and got the wrong side looking for a non-existent intercept.

Hate to use the cliche - but that's schoolboy stuff. You never buy into anything that will take you away from being goal side.

Chilwell then strolled into a good area, with time to pick a cross.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

We’ve conceded 13 goals this season. Man City have conceded 10, Liverpool have conceded 12.

Mings makes the odd howler, it’s annoying… but he is not, and never has been, the problem.

But we've played 10 games so my understanding after reading the last couple of pages is that he's been at fault for 10 of those 13 goals

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But we've played 10 games so my understanding after reading the last couple of pages is that he's been at fault for 10 of those 13 goals

He didnt play at Bournemouth so 10 goals from 11 he was at fault

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Im sorry but we need to upgrade on him for this reason alone. He is a absolute shit show. Im sick to death of him making stupid **** errors like yesterday.

Id happily make him 3rd choice or sell once a new manager comes in. Get a quality  cb in who can play with carlos once he is back

Again, it’s about 5 or 6 mistakes over the past 4 years. It’s not quite the error every game or every other game that some feel it is.

As well as being the defender we have who is most likely to make a colossal **** up, he’s also the defender we have who I’d back to most likely get us out of a tight spot.

Late Burnley off the line clearance at the end of last season, as an example.

Or the match winning challenge in injury time against Everton this season ensuring we have the paltry two wins we have rather than one.

Be honest with yourself, in those sort of moments, would you feel much more confident in our other defenders being the ones to get us out of shit? 

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

Â