Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

The disrespect from Man U fans on Twitter is something else. I'll admit he probably isn't at the level they are looking for to improve but you would think they are being linked with a centre back at Plymouth or Crewe the way they are going on.

Here's to many more years of them under achieving and their incredibly entitled fans suffering a bit longer.

It's not really to do with him as a defender, they despise him going back to the Ibrahimovic incident. There's no chance they sign him as he wouldn't be able to set foot on the pitch without being abused.

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think he walks into the United defence, Maguire is a bigger accident than Mings is and Lindelof isnt good enough

Mings is probably in the best 25 defenders in Europe at this stage

I highly doubt that he is in the top 25 of every defender in Europe.

I would sell him however for a large fee, the lad is 28 in a month, is prone to lapses in concentration but is good in every other department.

We could sign another player or two with the money without weakening the team with a younger age profile.

Lets be honest, one of the parts of doing good business and moving a club forward is knowing when to cash certain 'chips' in, Leicester have done this decently over the last 5 years.

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

I would sell him however for a large fee, the lad is 28 in a month, is prone to lapses in concentration but is good in every other department.

We could sign another player or two with the money without weakening the team with a younger age profile.

Lets be honest, one of the parts of doing good business and moving a club forward is knowing when to cash certain 'chips' in, Leicester have done this decently over the last 5 years.

Yeah, he's important to us, BUT if we're talking 50M+ (which we should be if the likes of United are involved), then I have no doubt we'd take it and reinvest wisely in somewhat younger players.

• Like 1

Only two teams in the whole division have a better defence than us this season, and only one has kept more clean sheets, why on earth would we want to sell a player that has been of crucial importance in relation to the development of that success.

Also I don't understand why people feel that they have to keep saying that Konsa is better than him, as if that's some sort of criticism, if Mings was to leave, whoever replaced him likely wouldn't be as good as Konsa either.

• Like 3

I think Mings is an excellent defender. He’s problems have been down to decision making rather than ability: You can tell from the last few games he knows full well it hasn’t been good enough and now seems to have stopped taking unnecessary risks.   When he doubt he just clears it. 

He’s like a magnet at the back at times and always need to start if fit in my opinion. 

• Like 3

I think to me brings more than just the football element too, he’s a great speaker, leader on the pitch and he speaks so well off it. He’s very well regarded nationally and I think to me he’s a symbol of us turning the corner and starting to be a good football team again.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

Central defending is at its worst period ever, its why i always find it absurd that people post that Mings will be so easy to replace in the summer. Some of the top teams in Europe have poor centre backs, Mings currently walks into United, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona and Dortmund defence

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Central defending is at its worst period ever, its why i always find it absurd that Mings will be so easy to replace in the summer. Some of the top teams in Europe have poor centre backs, Mings currently walks into United, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona and Dortmund defence

So easy to replace.... yet all the 'big' teams (with their financial clout and top drawer scouting networks) have poor central defenders.

steve brule what GIF

(@Zatman, I think we're making the same point??)

Edited by jimmygreaves
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ender4 said:

Agree, but i also feel the owners are savvy enough that if the right crazy bid comes in they will sell and re-invest the money into someone even better. 

I agree that if unbelievable offers are submitted then certain players MIGHT become available, but I honestly don’t envisage those sort of offers being made, save for Grealish. And I’m sure he’s not for sale to another English club. I think Dean Smith will have the ultimate final say on who can leave, I think he’s earned that trust with last summers purchases, the owners have seen that he knows what’s best on the pitch. Mings is currently an integral part of the team, and unless Maguire type £s are put on the table, and Dean Smith has secured what he views as a more than adequate replacement, then Mings stays. 
I think our owners overriding ambition is to get the club successful on the pitch, everything else falls into place thereafter. And I think they’ve seen that selling your best players doesn’t get you success, just a lot of money to speculate on other players. You should only sell from a position of strength and success, really. If at all. I think we’re well placed to succeed with our current squad, we’ve a few players that other clubs would love to have, and they’re at a good age to be at Villa for 3 or 4 seasons and still command good fees if they are moved on (Grealish 25, Cash 23, Konsa 23, Targett 25, Mings 27, McGinn 26, Luiz 22, Watkins 25). Behind those we have some exciting prospects in and around 18/19yrs old who are beginning to break through. I’d say we’re in a better position for the years ahead than someone like, say, an Everton, whose mainstays are that bit older and from overseas, players like Allan and Rodriguez who cost a lot but will likely have little to no resale value. They’re also committed to building a new stadium which will suck funds away in the short term. 
Villa are suddenly in a good place. If we stay smart and don’t make any big fock ups, then our trajectory should be exciting for a few seasons ahead.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jono62 said:

How many did City buy before it clicked?

They bought cancelo for £60m and as part of that deal they sold danilo to juve for £34m, they had bought danilo £40m and pushed £50m walker in to CB because £60m laporte and £50m stones were always injured and £40m otamendi was shite meaning that they had to replace him with £80m dias, which means they can now push laporte to LB cos £55m mendy is garbage

Its amazing how they got it to click... 

As for maguire he's typical woodwood, off the back of a great world cup big English CB who they could market as the league's best CB and a record fee as a sign of how competitive utd still were despite being shit rather than going out and getting the player they actually needed

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They bought cancelo for £60m and as part of that deal they sold danilo to juve for £34m, they had bought danilo £40m and pushed £50m walker in to CB because £60m laporte and £50m stones were always injured and £40m otamendi was shite meaning that they had to replace him with £80m dias, which means they can now push laporte to LB cos £55m mendy is garbage

Its amazing how they got it to click... 

As for maguire he's typical woodwood, off the back of a great world cup big English CB who they could market as the league's best CB and a record fee as a sign of how competitive utd still were despite being shit rather than going out and getting the player they actually needed

This sir is a very good post.

• Like 1

This is an even better post: I'm not sure why people give these stories from clickbait sites so much credence, they've probably just completely made it up that Man Utd want Mings, in the same way that they make up so much about Grealish, yet people still fuel the stories by reacting to them as if they're gospel, it's like on the one hand people like to show how savy they are and make fun of newspapers and the cliches that they come out with, but on the other much of their discussion is dictated by the very same newspapers.

4 hours ago, the_eristic said:

Yeah, he's important to us, BUT if we're talking 50M+ (which we should be if the likes of United are involved), then I have no doubt we'd take it and reinvest wisely in somewhat younger players.

At would have to be at least 40 to start talking

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Central defending is at its worst period ever, its why i always find it absurd that people post that Mings will be so easy to replace in the summer. Some of the top teams in Europe have poor centre backs, Mings currently walks into United, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona and Dortmund defence

When you have a large amount of money to spend there is always options, simikan is 20-25m for example you could buy him and someone similar for example.

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

When you have a large amount of money to spend there is always options, simikan is 20-25m for example you could buy him and someone similar for example.

He is about to sign for RB Leipzig

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think the same, I speak to friends who cant believe he is in the england squad. Wheres the competition though? Maguire not great, Stones patchy form, Michael Keane and Gomez? 10/15 years ago we had great centre halves but they were also supported by full backs who didnt cross the half way line.

• Like 1

Â