Villa Park Atmosphere

wilko154

On 22/04/2020 at 14:10, VillaChris said:

Was there any punishment for the Leicester pitch invasion?

The result of our next game against them, was punishing enough. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Tony Morley has been talking about when we last played behind closed doors in 1982 and next week's game in the Express & Star. Here is the link: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2020/06/13/big-interview-tony-morley/

Tony said of the Besiktas game, “I guess you would say strange, certainly surreal, but I’m not sure even those really do it justice. The season before for the European matches it had been a struggle just to get to the players’ entrance, you’d get stuck in the crowds outside. There was a buzz around the place, on that day there was nothing. It was almost like a glorified Central League match. There were one or two die-hard supporters outside and for once you actually had time to stop and speak to them. You could wind your window down and have a bit of a laugh. There were actually a few Besiktas fans around. I remember speaking to them too."

He continued, "It was strange because ultimately it was a European Cup match, the premier club competition. But there was no sense of occasion. It wasn’t a hard game for us, from what I remember, I guess the big thing was you could hear people shouting. There’s a lot more verbal that goes on during a match than many people realise and I think one or two who worked behind the scenes at Villa were a bit shocked by what they heard. When there are 40,000 in the ground you don’t hear the players, but on this occasion they could hear everything, including a few naughty words. I remember a few people remarking on it afterwards, but all you could really do was shrug your shoulders. To us it was just normal. We were professional as a team and we knew what we had to do to get a result. But it was very strange and surreal. It is not an experience I ever wanted to repeat.”

He then talked about next week's game, “Is there going to be that much of a home advantage if they don’t have a crowd behind them? It is a worry, the Holte End is as good as any in the country when they get going. I played when there were 25,000 in there and it does make hell of a difference. The players have got to get their professional heads on. The stadium might be empty but you are still playing for 40,000 supporters, more in fact. They are desperate to stay in the Premier League. If they want the ground to be one of the best in the business again when fans are allowed back, they’ve got to deliver. This is our game in hand so they should not need any more motivation. Just imagine there are 40,000 there. It will be a bit different, no question about that, but the players have got to look at the big prize. Every game is big but the first one has a bit more incentive. Let’s be honest, Sheffield United are no easy team. Chris Wilder has done a fantastic job there. They have proved you can go into the league and compete."

Tony then turned his thoughts to the future, "It’s a huge few weeks. We don’t know what the long-term financial impact of the pandemic will be and if you get relegated now, there isn’t going to be as much money about. Football is going to take a hit like everything else.”

It's a pity, that we don't have Tony available to play on the wing, during our ten remaining league games. I for one, would be considerably more optimistic. ;)

So what will they be doing to 'decorate' the stands? I saw on Twitter that if you liked a certain post from the official club account your avatar picture would be added to some kind of mosaic to be displayed in the ground. Not sure how this will work. I guess they could have flags and scarves draped over the seats too.

My own idea was that fans could have been invited to make an effigy of themselves that could be sat on the seats. 😀 Then not long after that Gladbach came up with the cardboard cut-out idea which I guess would've been more practical but less fun.

4 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

So what will they be doing to 'decorate' the stands? I saw on Twitter that if you liked a certain post from the official club account your avatar picture would be added to some kind of mosaic to be displayed in the ground. Not sure how this will work. I guess they could have flags and scarves draped over the seats too.

My own idea was that fans could have been invited to make an effigy of themselves that could be sat on the seats. 😀 Then not long after that Gladbach came up with the cardboard cut-out idea which I guess would've been more practical but less fun.

They were asking for 10 second videos of you celebrating like we have got a last minute winner with as many flags and scarves in place as possible, My two lads did one but not sure if they are going to be used?

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

They were asking for 10 second videos of you celebrating like we have got a last minute winner with as many flags and scarves in place as possible, My two lads did one but not sure if they are going to be used?

Didn't they also ask us to give them our flags? I hope your lads will be shown, celebrating our winner next week. 

• Like 1

Assume the massive sheets serve a dual purpose of looking good and having the ball rolling back to the front of the stand. Limited ball boys and no fans to throw them back could see us out of supplies after 5 minutes, particularly given our wayward passing!

Looks lovely though, hopefully the fans on the video screen give the boys enough of a morale boost to give us something like a home advantage.

I was watching the stream that didn't have the fake crowd noise added, still at times during the game I'm sure I heard some artificial crowd noise, was that something they added at Villa park so the players could hear it? Strange if so. Or could it have been supporters outside Villa park that I heard? 

• 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Can we now put to bed this ludicrous theory that somehow the crowd at Villa Park make it difficult for us to play well at home? 

It would have been toxic yesterday

There was definitely an air of arrogance around the game and then disappointment with the result

The groaning at trez's shooting boots would have been loud to say the least 

The reaction to the penalty though would have been interesting, with a crowd that on edge yesterday, that dissatisfied, does that play in to refs head when he makes the decision? Adds an element of bravery to it

• Like 2

Yeah I got carried away a bit after Liverpool and started a thread on it. At that point we'd won four straight home games which we hadn't done for ages in the top league. Now reverted back to type but think that's just BCD for you given Man. United have only won one of 5 home games and even Spurs who are top have won 2 out of 5 games. Leicester also lost to us and West Ham so it's certainly easier playing away in these conditions.

17 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It would have been toxic yesterday

There was definitely an air of arrogance around the game and then disappointment with the result

The groaning at trez's shooting boots would have been loud to say the least 

The reaction to the penalty though would have been interesting, with a crowd that on edge yesterday, that dissatisfied, does that play in to refs head when he makes the decision? Adds an element of bravery to it

Disagree, we were attacking. The crowd mainly only to toxic, when it appears there is little effort and we are sitting back. 
I actually think the crowd would’ve been really encouraging and would’ve swung the game in our favour, aka the Brighton game last season where we scored last minute 

If fans are going to start dribbling back in, it's not the worst thing if our form isn't great at home. Obviously rather just be winning from the off, but a change in conditions where we're getting poor results could give the players something else to work with.

Bit worried about Trez's lungs exploding if he tries to work any harder.

Â