Villa Park Atmosphere

wilko154

I was there IMO I think you are both right. It was electric at times and surprisingly and noticeably quiet at other times. I think that was a lot to do with the match/occasion. While it wasn't a game packed with thousands of chances it was incredibly absorbing to watch and for large parts I think the crowd was wrapped up in watching the second to second action rather than thinking about belting out another song. 

I was in the Upper Trinity last night and from where i was sitting the atmosphere was electric from all three stands.

Sure there were moments of quiet, but then tell me anywhere where this is not the case. It happens. Indeed, Leciester fans in the North Stand also played there part in creating the atmosphere, but even they went quiet for periods.

I posted this in the match ratings thread last night and still stand by it.

"A Fantastic atmosphre from the 12th man who was not just in the Holte tonight. He was everywhere."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

On the telly the stadium was quiet most of the match. Said as much in the match thread. Sounded close to a library at times. 

I was at the game and have watched it back on TV since. I think it’s clear that the crowd volume was turned down on the TV. When watching it back this seems very obvious as various mics are lowered or switched off. Poor from Sky.

Atmosphere was immense from what I could see on TV. Definitely played its part in helping us win the tie.

Bit of a hot take but I completely disagree with pitch invasions in general, and particularly at big clubs like Villa.

I say this from the point of view as an ex-ballboy, when the pitch invasion vs West Brom happened the fans were gathering around the edge of the pitch in front of me - when I told them to move so I could do my job, I got abuse. Bear in mind I was only a kid trying to do my job. We were ordered to go in before the game finished and we couldn't celebrate. It was a great moment for the club but personally the pitch invasion spoiled it for us.

I think it's unfair that all the players get mobbed - some love it, some hate it. I understand the outpouring of joy but there's other ways of showing that imo.

I think it's unfair for those in the upper tiers who don't get the usual celebrations - no music, can barely see the players for all the fans on the pitch etc. 

It's unfair for the groundsmen who will have no doubt more work to do to prepare the pitch for the next game at VP.

And I think it's disrespectful to the football community in general - the fences came down in the 90s to save lives, not to allow idiots to stream onto the pitch. Fans shouldn't abuse that.

Also we go to Wembley every year, and getting to a cup final is not exactly a rarity for Aston Villa. We can't bang on about how big our club is and pitch invade whenever we make a cup final.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

When you have attended hundreds of matches at Villa Park like I have (pretty much every game since 1983) and a fair few away days you know when Villa Park is rocking and for large parts of last night it was rocking. 

Absolutely. I've not missed many home games since 2007. Last night was particularly special. I even said to myself at one point last night "I love it when Villa Park is like this".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Absolutely. I've not missed many home games since 2007. Last night was particularly special. I even said to myself at one point last night "I love it when Villa Park is like this".

Yes I agree totally and to be fair we have had Villa Park like this quite often in recent years.

The myth that flies around the Midlands that we are quiet and not as passionate as Blues/Albion/Wolves etc is quite frankly bullsh@t.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Elton said:

I was at the game and have watched it back on TV since. I think it’s clear that the crowd volume was turned down on the TV. When watching it back this seems very obvious as various mics are lowered or switched off. Poor from Sky.

Well if that's the case it's explained. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, imavillan said:

I was in the Upper Trinity last night and from where i was sitting the atmosphere was electric from all three stands.

There was a song started out by those in the Lower Trinity right hand side (were they those moved from the lower North?) which the rest of the ground picked up on.  The Holte carried it around then I noticed people in Upper Trinity standing up and singing it waving arms about like mad things. 

Spread faster than The Coronavirus. 

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well if that's the case it's explained. 

Even mid chant the crowd volume suddenly drops off massively on the tv. Probably someone on Sky scared a naughty word might be audible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Yes I agree totally and to be fair we have had Villa Park like this quite often in recent years.

The myth that flies around the Midlands that we are quiet and not as passionate as Blues/Albion/Wolves etc is quite frankly bullsh@t.

I bloody hate how the scummy fans of our so called rivals convince themselves that they're amazing fans and all we do is sing VILLA VILLA VILLA. Not one of their grounds gets close to our atmosphere.

30 minutes ago, Elton said:

I was in Upper Holte and it was as good as it’s been.

I rewatched the game on TV and the sound was dreadful. It was so bad I’m thinking of contacting Sky to find out why.

Not just the phasing out of the Holte for much of the first half but the turning up of the North Stand mics.

I know they blur the chanting when it’s an “ obsecene” one, but as you say it was VERY clear certain mics were lowered, others heightened, and others seemed to be off.

We pay subs to Sky to watch the football and think the sound quality should match the picture quality. It was really awful.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

Did Sky tinker with the sound? Sounded like they had recorded tape playing at times.

See my Post above. 
Yes they did. 
They always do, at every game, but this was particularly badly done.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

When you've watched hundreds of matches from Villa Park on the TV, you KNOW when Villa Park is rocking. And for the large parts of the match yesterday it wasn't. 

I understand why you think so.

See my post above.

It was a very very good atmosphere for the most part. The TV sound was as poor as I’ve heard.

Had it on Surround, as I always do....so poor I switched to my best Bayer ‘phones and it was even worse. They really made a mess of it.

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There was a song started out by those in the Lower Trinity right hand side (were they those moved from the lower North?) which the rest of the ground picked up on.  The Holte carried it around then I noticed people in Upper Trinity standing up and singing it waving arms about like mad things. 

Spread faster than The Coronavirus. 

I know why MON moved the Away fans but after last night I think we should swap back. 

Having the North Standers singing from the side really added to the noise as we all became more linked and as one. 

15 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I bloody hate how the scummy fans of our so called rivals convince themselves that they're amazing fans and all we do is sing VILLA VILLA VILLA. Not one of their grounds gets close to our atmosphere.

Don’t give it a moments thought.

Its for the same, simple reason as the other crap they spout, it’s envy, pure and simple.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

**** Anfield.  There's only one Villa Park.  It's the home of football.

Anfield is like a library. They sing YNWA pre kick off and then only make a noise when they score

If Liverpool don’t score you can hear a pin drop

The place is a myth 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Same. it was a brilliant atmosphere. Leicester fans very much included

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Don’t give it a moments thought.

Its for the same, simple reason as the other crap they spout, it’s envy, pure and simple.

So true. Same reason Coventry and Leicester try to invent some sort of rivalry with us.

9 minutes ago, KHV said:

Anfield is like a library. They sing YNWA pre kick off and then only make a noise when they score

If Liverpool don’t score you can hear a pin drop

The place is a myth 

Agree. Every time I’ve been, including once in the Kip, ( no spellcheck error here 🙂) it’s been like the Holte at its worst.

Â