Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

33 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

If by the 80th minute we're still in the game on Sunday I'd be reluctant to bring him on. If the game is beyond us I'd give him the last 10 minutes. He'll learn so much against that rabble.

My thinking on this is that If he’s talented enough, which the coaching team and fans believe he is, then if there is an opportunity for him to influence our game from his position then he should come on whether we are still in it or not. 

Now he has made it into the team, it’s up to him to fight for that spot at any moment - who knows what may happen to other players in his position in terms of injuries/suspensions etc. 

I don’t think we should be protecting him so much for times when the game is out of sight. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

If by the 80th minute we're still in the game on Sunday I'd be reluctant to bring him on. If the game is beyond us I'd give him the last 10 minutes. He'll learn so much against that rabble.

Spoiler

We’ll be 3-0 up by then.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Greenfly said:

I don't agree that any match is a free swing. We gave them a really good game last season with a worse squad than this, so why not try and get the win this time?

If I have to debate why Liverpool in a league game is a free swing, I think I’m done before I’ve started.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I’d start him on Sunday against Liverpool. I’m sure it’s not the approach that DS would take, but I’d blood him properly in that match as it’s a free swing, especially after winning the first 2 games. More likely start against Stoke and another cameo on Sunday.

8 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

I don't agree that any match is a free swing. We gave them a really good game last season with a worse squad than this, so why not try and get the win this time?

Even if it was a free swing, I don't think the best way to handle any 19-year-old's progression is to give him 90 minutes against the champions who will most likely have us for breakfast.

Dean is doing the right thing - playing him against lesser opposition in the cups and giving him league minutes here and there when sensible until he is ready.

He's by no means ready to start against Liverpool, whatever the logic behind that.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

If I have to debate why Liverpool in a league game is a free swing, I think I’m done before I’ve started.

I'm not saying I expect us to win or anything, nor am I implying that I'd be disappointed if we didn't. I know what people mean when they say a game is a free swing; they outclass us, the odds are stacked against us and nobody would have us down as winning.

Still though, going into any game already knowing you'll lose is not how to approach them. You need to try and win every game, no matter how David-and-Goliath it might seem. They're very good, but they're not invincible.

To that end, we shouldn't use the game to blood a raw midfielder for 90 minutes. We should use the team that is working so far, and if the game is lost by the 80th minute, then it wouldn't hurt to let Ramsey have a go, see what it's like playing against world class players.

• Like 2

Wouldn't surprise me if deano is giving him minutes to put him in the shop window for the best loan possible towards the end of the window.

That's assuming we get a midfielder in via transfer or loan, which would probably limit his development game time this season (next season might be his season with us when some senior contracts expire), so we are giving him the best chance now to showcase his abilities to secure the best possible development loan for him.

Just a guess.....

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Wouldn't surprise me if deano is giving him minutes to put him in the shop window for the best loan possible towards the end of the window.

That's assuming we get a midfielder in via transfer or loan, which would probably limit his development game time this season (next season might be his season with us when some senior contracts expire), so we are giving him the best chance now to showcase his abilities to secure the best possible development loan for him.

Just a guess.....

Could be , Either way it aids his development if we can’t get our target then he is a viable option ,I imagine he is giving them alot to think about at the moment, do we want to nurture Ruben loftus Cheek to full fitness or continue to develop our own man.

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Just a guess.....

It's a tough noe to be fair, as he looks right on the cusp. He's definitely good enough to be part of the squad, but I still feel we need another option in there. I think any prospect of a Ramsey loan would be based on Lansbury as well as a new signing. If Lansbury were to go on loan somewhere, or even secure a transfer (unlikely, but not impossible) then even with a new CM I think Ramsey is probably needed. You will need a full squad this year due to the consdensed calendar, so he'd still get plenty of game time. However, if we were to bring in a new CM and Lansbury saw out his contract I wouldn't be adverse to Ramsey going out on loan, especially to somewhere he can play every week. We just need to be careful not to stifle him, he's 19 and at a crucial stage development wise.

27 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Just a guess.....

Smith said that there are already a queue of clubs wanting to take Ramsey on loan. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Smith said that there are already a queue of clubs wanting to take Ramsey on loan. 

Thats great then, but ideally we want a club who a) will play him week in week out and b) is as suitable a club as possible.

Ie: a team towards the top of the championship who likes to play proper football.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

When was the last time we had a Cm come through the academy? I’m thinking Davis or Barry? Such a hard position to break through in. If he establishes himself in the role he’ll have done well. 

Surely it'd be Grealish?

• Like 1

Â