Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

Will captain is someday soon. Gets better and better. 
His assist for the second was lovely, timed his run perfectly, got ahead of the defender and then had the nous to get push the ball away from the keeper into Ollie’s path perfectly 

Keeps getting better & better could of 2 today himself today, brilliant 2 assists. Really think he can be our Lampard the way he plays & to think he could be with us for the next 10 years 😳 he's a baller 

• Like 3

He is blessed with some natural attributes that will take him far. But even better is that he is tactically aware. He sees the pitch and positions really well and managers seem ro trust him .  21/22 is when u see alot of players stagnate . I was worried he had at times in the season but he has come through it and has contributed massively recently.

Need to mention again. His pace is ridiculous. Adam Webster had 10 yards on him but he seems to have afterburners when he gets into stride. Like 100 metre runners. It is frightening to think of what he might become in all honesty. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Hard to understand why he's not already in the full england squad. Brighton are a really good side but he was the best player on the pitch 

Because Southgate is a fraud.

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Younger siblings are almost always the more successful athletes at elite level, interestingly. But of course he’s a proven PL player now and the odds are against anyone hitting that level. Fingers crossed though!

Gary Neville, Eden Hazard, Thiago Alcantara, Romelu Lukaku, Toni Kroos, Rio Ferdinand. Plenty of famous older siblings who were a fair bit better than their little brother(s).

I think people underestimate JJ tbh because he doesn't have a box of tricks, and he doesn't do anything flash. But he's just a really good all-round footballer.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Gary Neville, Eden Hazard, Thiago Alcantara, Romelu Lukaku, Toni Kroos, Rio Ferdinand. Plenty of famous older siblings who were a fair bit better than their little brother(s).

I think people underestimate JJ tbh because he doesn't have a box of tricks, and he doesn't do anything flash. But he's just a really good all-round footballer.

Sorry, you’ve misunderstood me. I’m saying that according to some interesting scientific studies, at a large statistical level, younger siblings will usually do better than elder at elite level. I’m by no means saying “younger siblings are always better” - I’m much better at football than my yoonger brother, for example - and Jacob may well be the best of his family.

4 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Sorry, you’ve misunderstood me. I’m saying that according to some interesting scientific studies, at a large statistical level, younger siblings will usually do better than elder at elite level. I’m by no means saying “younger siblings are always better” - I’m much better at football than my yoonger brother, for example - and Jacob may well be the best of his family.

No I understood, but you did say "almost always". I suspect the effect is significant but not very strong, because genetics (which are different for siblings unless they're identical twins), training and luck with injuries etc are far more important than birth sequence. I'm sure it's a real effect over a large population, but not something that has much bearing on things on a case by case basis.

Personally I think there's a bit of a Phil Neville effect where the younger sibling gets bigged up as the more talented prospect because there's more unknown potential there, whereas the older sibling is more of a known quantity, playing at a tougher level.

I'd be surprised if JJ doesn't turn out to be the most successful Ramsey brother tbh, although it would be amazing if we do indeed have an even better player coming through.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

No I understood, but you did say "almost always". I suspect the effect is significant but not very strong, because genetics (which are different for siblings unless they're identical twins), training and luck with injuries etc are far more important than birth sequence. I'm sure it's a real effect over a large population, but not something that has much bearing on things on a case by case basis.

Personally I think there's a bit of a Phil Neville effect where the younger sibling gets bigged up as the more talented prospect because there's more unknown potential there, whereas the older sibling is more of a known quantity, playing at a tougher level.

I'd be surprised if JJ doesn't turn out to be the most successful Ramsey brother tbh, although it would be amazing if we do indeed have an even better player coming through.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-are-great-athletes-more-likely-to-be-the-younger-siblings/

“Almost always” was probably stretching it from me, but you can see in here for example they cite things like 75% of international squads being younger siblings, etc. Anyway the good news is they are all on Villa’s books :)

• Like 1

When people think of brothers in football and have this idea that older brothers are usually better, I think it's because are only looking at the most famous examples where both brothers playing at an high level, but there will be a lot of brothers in football where one football is playing at top level and another brother is playing lower down the system and that could be where a lot of younger brothers are better than their older brother, we have a few examples ourselve, Kesler, Archer, potentially Seb Revan.

As for Jacob and Aaron I don't think it really matters which is the better or is going to be the better, they're both doing very well at the moment, it's not like one is only getting attention because of the success of the other, both had had their own success and have excelled at every level they've played at, it wouldn't surprise me at all if both go on to get England caps, except both to move up a level in that regard next season, Aaron to get first U21 cap and Jacob to get first senior cap.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-are-great-athletes-more-likely-to-be-the-younger-siblings/

“Almost always” was probably stretching it from me, but you can see in here for example they cite things like 75% of international squads being younger siblings, etc. Anyway the good news is they are all on Villa’s books :)

75% of US women's soccer* 

I would guess that the effect is much less pronounced in Premier League football because of the way players are scouted and trained from such a young age.

1 minute ago, useless said:

When people think of brothers in football and have this idea that older brothers are usually better, I think it's because are only looking at the most famous examples

Well no it's more that I think birth sequence just isn't that important either way.

I think it probably makes a much bigger impact on sports like table tennis or rounders or snooker where you have a fair chance of being at least a county-level player if you spend enough time working on it at a young age, and having an older sibling who likes the sport will help you pick it up even sooner.

Football is a bit different IMO... more universal, and more structured and professional at the elite level from a much younger age. It's just incomparably easier to get decent quality coaching and gametime for a firstborn 6-year-old footballer than a 6-year-old tennis player.

So happy for JJ to cap this birthday with a performance like that. 

Deserved to cap it off with a goal. 

Would have have calmed my heart rate a few hundred beats as well! 

He just gets better and better year on year. No idea what his ceiling is right now. 

Best player on the field today. Unplayable with the ball at his feet today, too quick, clever footed and brave for Brighton. Should have capped it off with a goal which was put on a plate! That would have been a complete performance.

Could be a very big player for us, just gets better and because he doesn’t have Jack’s flair doesn’t get as much attention as he should, but he is a very effective and constantly improving player for us with similar goals and assists as Grealish. Money will be spent this summer but he is nailed on for lots of starts next season.

• Like 2

Emery has unlocked something in him and the rest of our forwards. Our passing when on the break is absolutely brilliant, managing to thread the needle to find a free player in the box pretty regularly. We don't panic and we find the pass, and Ramsay is probably the best proponent of that in the side. Lethal on the break and just beautiful to watch.

Â