Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

He's a better ball carrier than Jack. 

Come at me. 

Not yet for me tbh. He’s deceptively quick with the ball I think, but I don’t think we see him dribble past or around people enough to be at jacks level on the ball. 

2 minutes in, JJ hasn’t got there yet. The closest we’ve seen was his goal against Norwich last season 

• Like 2

Question: towards the end of the game yesterday Ramsey was hurt when a player stood on his foot just after he crossed it. He was down for about a minute and had the physios on. Why wasn't that checked for a penalty? He was in the box, it was a late challenge, why wasn't it a penalty appeal? What am I missing?

To be completely honest, when he first came through, I thought decent player but possibly just Andre Green level but every year he has improved steadily until this season where he has made a jump from being a solid premier league player to potential superstar.

Think Dean Smith deserves a lot of credit for his development, most of us would have definitely wanted him loaned out a few years back but it was definitely the right call to keep him here to mature in the first team 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Clearest sign that he's a true Villa fan, about to qualify for Europe and still finds something to moan about!

Although doing the rounds last week is that he is in fact, not a villa fan - not that it really matters.

1 minute ago, pete101 said:

To be completely honest, when he first came through, I thought decent player but possibly just Andre Green level but every year he has improved steadily until this season where he has made a jump from being a solid premier league player to potential superstar.

Think Dean Smith deserves a lot of credit for his development, most of us would have definitely wanted him loaned out a few years back but it was definitely the right call to keep him here to mature in the first team 

I really thought he was just middling, ok at everything but excels at nothing. A mediocre midfielder who would have a career but maybe as nothing more than a rotation option, how wrong I was.

It was part of a wider issue with Deans Midfield though, there was no excellence in different aspects of the game. McGinn, Luiz, JJ, Hourihane in open play all seemingly were decent but didn't have clear defined roles, they did a bit of everything and did it OK but we weren't great at scoring goals from midfield - and we weren't great at stopping them either

. Even when we were shopping for Ward-Prowse, it felt like an upgrade but again another in a similar mould.

Dean deserves huge praise for taking a chance on JJ and relentlessly believing in him at 19/20 years old to keep giving him minutes, but JJ really managed to find his niche when Dean left and is now crafting a key role for himself under Emery.

His potential is incredible and has proved so many of us wrong. I hope Villa fans keep that in mind as more 19yo's find their place in the squad moving forwards 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

likewise

he’s clearly taking the piss and I thought it was funny

if anything the others calling him a clearing in the woods shows a pretty tight knit group

Yeah, just light-hearted stuff all round really

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

Maybe he was thinking if the fans are like this for the conference, what are they going to do when we get Champions League 🤣

Especially as we’ll win the League to qualify. And we all what happened the last time that happened. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Question: towards the end of the game yesterday Ramsey was hurt when a player stood on his foot just after he crossed it. He was down for about a minute and had the physios on. Why wasn't that checked for a penalty? He was in the box, it was a late challenge, why wasn't it a penalty appeal? What am I missing?

I think it's a case of at this present time being a Villa fan, who gives a Tom Tit. 

Immense performance yesterday, should have been capped with at least one goal and had we not made it to Europe he’d be having nightmares about that miss at 2-1. Helluva season though under Emery, and he’s only going to get better I think.

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Crazy how quickly people forget. He almost singlehandedly took us out of that Championship. 

Two totally different players with different attributes and personalities too. Jack is smooth as silk on the pitch and JJ has the impact of a sledgehammer.

• Like 1

I have been very critical of Ramsey over the time however I thought the first 30 mins yesterday was the best I have ever seen him. Direct and a real threat.

I hope he can kick on next season! - his numbers are great, however I do think he goes missing in games.

FWIW that miss yesterday although he definitely should have scored was harder than it looked - Bailey rifled it across.

I think his dribbling and close control has improved.

Remember one concern some had was that he wasn't good in tight spaces.

The one particular run where he showed brilliant feet to beat 2/3 Brighton players and break free was brilliant.

He'll get even better.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think his dribbling and close control has improved.

Remember one concern some had was that he wasn't good in tight spaces.

The one particular run where he showed brilliant feet to beat 2/3 Brighton players and break free was brilliant.

He'll get even better.

He certainly has improved that aspect.

1 hour ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

I think he was just outside the box if its the one from Caicedo

2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Not yet for me tbh. He’s deceptively quick with the ball I think, but I don’t think we see him dribble past or around people enough to be at jacks level on the ball. 

2 minutes in, JJ hasn’t got there yet. The closest we’ve seen was his goal against Norwich last season 

Watching that back and it’s amazing how open we were without the ball compared to how compact we are now with our high line. 

Â