Lovre Kalinić

Tomaszk

I think people are finally starting to realise that it's our defense that's crap - rather than Nyland or Kalinic. So many people calling for Nyland's head when we let our opposition get into dangerous positions too easily now see the exact same "blunders" from Kalinic. Until our D learns how to push up and force players into bad positions we're going to be conceding idiotic goals, and when you're peppered with shots all game like Kalinic and Nyland have been they're bound to let in a few blunders.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

First goal was a mistake. He will make them like all keepers. What concerns me more is how Bowen had so much time and space to hit a volley in our area as a result of a long punt forward a moment earlier. 

Our defence is a shambles. 

Spot on, and something I have been trying to allude to since Saturday.

It's an easy option to blame a goalkeeper for not making a save, but the concern should be how are the opposition being allowed the time and space to take a shot inside the area for Kalinic to be tested.

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

I think people are finally starting to realise that it's our defense that's crap - rather than Nyland or Kalinic. So many people calling for Nyland's head when we let our opposition get into dangerous positions too easily now see the exact same "blunders" from Kalinic. Until our D learns how to push up and force players into bad positions we're going to be conceding idiotic goals, and when you're peppered with shots all game like Kalinic and Nyland have been they're bound to let in a few blunders.

I agree, though Nyland is still crap.

I think Kalinic is decent though.

3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Spot on, and something I have been trying to allude to since Saturday.

It's an easy option to blame a goalkeeper for not making a save, but the concern should be how are the opposition being allowed the time and space to take a shot inside the area for Kalinic to be tested.

A goalie is going to face shots at some point during 90 minutes though.

On 19/01/2019 at 20:33, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think long term Kalinic will be outstanding for us, Smith has changed our playing style, we’re trying to play out from the back. Kalinic is good with his feet, Kalinic is new to the country, it’s naturally going to take him a few months to settle. I thought Chester and Elphick were good today, I think Smith is changing us for the better, it will take time, we need to be patient, we are progressing well in my opinion 

I have to say that I think Nyland is significantly better with his feet.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2019 at 14:16, hippo said:

A goalie is going to face shots at some point during 90 minutes though.

Well I used to get into this debate with people in the Johnstone thread last couple of years. We had such a defensive set up under Bruce, he would only face 1 or 2 shots per game. His shots to save ratio was quite low in fact. But because he got so many clean sheets due to the way we played people thought he was ace. You speak to WBA fans now they don't rate him at all.

Kalinic has got off to an absolute terrible start but I'm not writing him off yet. Thought Nyland was actually becoming a decent keeper towards the end, he even got in the championship team of the month for December but fans had already decided they didnt want him anymore.. seems the new country / time to settle is only used as an argument for big money signings and not everyone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Well I used to get into this debate with people in the Johnstone thread last couple of years. We had such a defensive set up under Bruce, he would only face 1 or 2 shots per game. His shots to save ratio was quite low in fact. But because he got so many clean sheets due to the way we played people thought he was ace. You speak to WBA fans now they don't rate him at all.

Kalinic has got off to an absolute terrible start but I'm not writing him off yet. Thought Nyland was actually becoming a decent keeper towards the end, he even got in the championship team of the month for December but fans had already decided they didnt want him anymore.. seems the new country / time to settle is only used as an argument for big money signings and not everyone.

Nyland was starting to look decent but still feared the worst whenever he came to catch a cross.

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

Sure Klanic will be ok at this level in time. 

• Like 1

On 21/01/2019 at 13:21, Lord Willard said:

I think people are forgetting how clumsy Nyland was. Every cross into our box looked like it could go in. I don't feel as nervous with Kalinic in goal. I think he has a stronger character to push on than Nyland

Just before the first goal a cross came in and Kalinic was all over the place and a header landed on the roof off the net

• Like 1

Â