Racism in Football

Zatman

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

So do you believe any time anyone is referred to by their ethnicity or sex, the person saying that is a sexist or a racist?

You may believe it to be "absurd", but I genuinely think they aren't necessarily. This week someone has labelled someone a "mad twitter woman". In your view it's absurd not to label this poster a sexist, yes?

I'm not even getting in to it, it'll make me to angry. I cannot believe that you posted that comment and are now trying to justify it. I'll leave it there.

• Confused 1

I was expecting to see this thread bumped because of the letter written by the inter ultras to lukaku

to paraphrase - it wasn't racism, they were just trying to put you off, there isn't racism in Italian football, stop making trouble - its utterly **** mind blowing

How do you tackle it? With the rise of the far right across parts of Europe/The World this will only get worse. Idiots are emboldened by the success of politicians and celebrities being massively racist yet bewilderingly getting away with it Scot free. 

Banning orders should be given but the authorities are just as racist behind closed doors as some of the people showing up to games. You ban 3000, there are thousands more to take their place in the stands. Its utter madness and utterly depressing.

I'm not sure it's going away anytime soon. I can see it getting worse again in the UK in future. Sad times.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I was expecting to see this thread bumped because of the letter written by the inter ultras to lukaku

to paraphrase - it wasn't racism, they were just trying to put you off, there isn't racism in Italian football, stop making trouble - its utterly **** mind blowing

So basically every internet discussion whenever racism is brought up :lol:

The word is like kryptonite for some people. They're incensed more but the accusation than the actual racism itself as the Inter Ultras perfectly demonstrated there.

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

So do you believe any time anyone is referred to by their ethnicity or sex, the person saying that is a sexist or a racist?

You may believe it to be "absurd", but I genuinely think they aren't necessarily. This week someone has labelled someone a "mad twitter woman". In your view it's absurd not to label this poster a sexist, yes?

Uh you're conflating completely different things. Referring to someone by their race or gender isn't typically a problem, but we weren't talking about that were we? We were especially talking about racist abuse online to which you said the people who do so aren't necessarily and are simply reacting in the heat of the moment which is a baffling take.

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

How do you tackle it? With the rise of the far right across parts of Europe/The World this will only get worse. Idiots are emboldened by the success of politicians and celebrities being massively racist yet bewilderingly getting away with it Scot free. 

I suppose the first question is, why is the far right on the rise? 

9 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I know it's sort of irrelevant...but from his own fans. Perplexing.

It just shows how overtly rampant and institutional it is over there, Italy has had this reputation though for as long as I can remember. There seems to be minimal desire to change it.

The scenes in Italy and sometimes Spain remind me of England in the late eighties and early nineties. Racism was dying down but still present at certain grounds.  

It’s just pure ignorance that’s taking a lot longer for the Country to deal with than it should. 

Going back to early 90s I’ll never forget a kid at school in year 5 telling me how  the Villa fans at the game were shouting ‘p**i’ at Paul Ince to put him off. This is a 9 year old kid encouraged by elders to be racist and too stupid to even do it accurately!   

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The scenes in Italy and sometimes Spain remind me of England in the late eighties and early nineties. Racism was dying down but still present at certain grounds.  

It’s just pure ignorance that’s taking a lot longer for the Country to deal with than it should. 

Going back to early 90s I’ll never forget a kid at school in year 5 telling me how  the Villa fans at the game were shouting ‘p**i’ at Paul Ince to put him off. This is a 9 year old kid encouraged by elders to be racist and too stupid to even do it accurately!   

I don't even know what a p**i is :lol: 

I guess we're not seeing monkey chants in England (thank God) but as seen in Stamford Bridge a few times recently and on social media, racism has far from been stamped out of English football.

22 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't even know what a p**i is :lol: 

Strictly speaking someone who is or has some family heritage from Pakistan (yes, it’s the first four letters of that country). Although those who use/used it generally aren’t too fussed about whether the person in question has any links to Pakistan, they could easily be of Indian or Bangladeshi origin. Or, rarer cases like the Paul Ince instance referenced above, some may use it for anyone who is basically “not white”.

Referring to a black person as such, I can only guess because they think that it’s not quite as derogatory as the “n word” so they feel they can get away with it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Strictly speaking someone who is or has some family heritage from Pakistan (yes, it’s the first four letters of that country). Although those who use/used it generally aren’t too fussed about whether the person in question has any links to Pakistan, they could easily be of Indian or Bangladeshi origin. Or, rarer cases like the Paul Ince instance referenced above, some may use it for anyone who is basically “not white”.

Referring to a black person as such, I can only guess because they think that it’s not quite as derogatory as the “n word” so they feel they can get away with it.

Hadn't even crossed my mind that it could be that :lol: 

Racism doesn't even make internal sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Hadn't even crossed my mind that it could be that :lol: 

Racism doesn't even make internal sense.

I wasn’t sure if it just hadn’t crossed your mind or if you hadn’t heard the term before - I vaguely recall you saying you’re in Canada (?) - and to be honest I wasn’t sure if that’s a term that was widely used there. I can’t recall hearing it in American films so I wasn’t sure how familiar people on the other side of the pond are with it.

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I wasn’t sure if it just hadn’t crossed your mind or if you hadn’t heard the term before - I vaguely recall you saying you’re in Canada (?) - and to be honest I wasn’t sure if that’s a term that was widely used there. I can’t recall hearing it in American films so I wasn’t sure how familiar people on the other side of the pond are with it.

It is a term used here but it doesn't carry the venom and history that it does in the UK (unless it's uttered by an Indian which is a different case). Over here, at least growing up, it generally isn't even considered a slur. Like you'd use it to describe someone and nobody would bat an eyelid.

• Thanks 1

That term is mostly used by the older generation and in the less diverse areas of the country. I heard it a lot when I was a kid but increasingly less so, thankfully.

In some parts of the US it's homonym is used to refer to an convience store which may help some of its acceptability there.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Peter Beardsley given an 8 month ban from all football activity following comments he made to Newcastle u23 players

*supposedly* related to comments made to African players at a team building day out at go ape

All I can think of is Bob Mortimer doing an impression of him :lol:  

Â