Racism in Football

Zatman

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Out of the top 2 tiers only Lampard has had no experience though. Parker is just a caretaker. Every other manager has worked the lower leagues in England or abroad. 

Most players that do get jobs temporary like Parker, Giggs or Sherwood are usually caretakers working at that club already.

Because he always puts himself forward, on what basis would Villa or any CEO even interview Dwight Yorke? 

But again just because you’ve chosen one crap example doesn’t mean there isn’t an issue. 

I’d guess about 5% of managers in the football league are black. 

Its not explicit racism. But it’s obviously a race issue

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Whatever you think of Rose, a black footballer is not “part of the problem” of racism in football. 

Thats actually a mental thing to suggest. 

No I didn't really mean it like that, poor choice of words on my part. 

I just don't think his attitude helps the situation when he can only point to sol Campbell as being an example of the problem, I also don't support the notion of shutting down racism by removing their platform to out themselves as the servile scum they are. 

• 3 months later...

Major digression. Yesterday after thinking about racism I walked out on my balcony and some mental woman went full Schutzstaffel on my neighbour. He is a young morrocan bloke with some middle east looking and black friends. They just BBQ and kick back and this utter word removed went just batshit and said the most derogatory stuff you can imagine. I didn't even know what to say or do. You can't really enter a discussion with these racist cockwombles either way. I kinda wanted to walk down and just stand there with him and let him know the rest of the neighbourhood isn't like that, but I was just shocked that these kinda people still exist. So I feel sick to my stomach that this shit still exists in and outside football. Absolutely unbelievable. 

What annoys me is that I have a fairly dark sense of humour. I feel everything should be allowed to joke about, pending timing, race, religion, gender, sexuality. But the absolute scum that still can be find in the society makes this difficult. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Zenit unfurled a banner for malcolm 

"keep traditions and don't sign black players" 

Expect a slap on the wrist from UEFA 

Think uefa only get involved if European gam

Unfortunately football just reflects wider society and it’s clear that racism is now back stronger than at any point since the 80’s.

Politicians have a lot of blame to take for the lies about the reasons for the erosion of living standards for all working class folk. 

• Like 2

On 27/04/2019 at 14:16, Stevo985 said:

But again just because you’ve chosen one crap example doesn’t mean there isn’t an issue. 

I’d guess about 5% of managers in the football league are black. 

Its not explicit racism. But it’s obviously a race issue

With the amount of money in football, literally tens if not hundreds of millions spent at the top level try and get the slightest edge over the competition do you really think clubs would avoid appointing people because of their colour? Especially factoring in the increasing multiculturisim of the owners; Is there really any evidence what so ever there is an "obvious race issue"?

Edited by penguin

On 04/08/2019 at 14:14, villa4europe said:

Zenit unfurled a banner for malcolm 

"keep traditions and don't sign black players" 

Expect a slap on the wrist from UEFA 

I assume that a majority of Eastern Europe has a very different stance on race in general which is going to cause a lot of issues. I believe the article a few posts down also talks about some of the other European nations that have faced similar issues in the past and it will be very interesting to see how this all plays out (also the political situation in some countries currently is not helpful). Hopefully, for Malcolm's sake he is able to win over the fans but it seems highly unlikely at this point. 

5 hours ago, penguin said:

With the amount of money in football, literally tens if not hundreds of millions spent at the top level try and get the slightest edge over the competition do you really think clubs would avoid appointing people because of their colour? 

Not explicitly, no (although I also wouldn't rule it out). But you've misunderstood the point if this is what you thought the issue is

5 hours ago, penguin said:

Is there really any evidence what so ever there is an "obvious race issue"?

Yes

Edited by Stevo985

the analysis has to start with the badges and qualifications to fully understand what is the actual problem

if 50% of the people qualified are black but then only 5% of the coaches employed are black then yeah id agree that's pretty obvious there is a race issue coming from the employers

if 5% of the qualified people are black and then 5% of the coaches employed are black then the problem is not with the employers, its starting before them and this rooney rule-esque thing they've cooked up will achieve absolutely nothing

that said its been a long time since I've since general stats on the numbers getting their qualification badges, 10 years a go there were always stories about them being ridiculously expensive in the UK and therefore we had a lot less qualified coaches than everyone else

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Not explicitly, no (although I also wouldn't rule it out). But you've misunderstood the point if this is what you thought the issue is

Yes

Could enlighten me? And provide/link any evidence? I've seen this discussion a few times and just never seen any attempt of root cause analysis like what villa4europe talks about in the previous post, it always seems as superficial as referencing Sol Campbell or Hughton getting sacked and the overall lack of numbers. 

I don't know if it was mentioned here, but Malcolm's Zenit career is already over before it started because of the fans' racism. He's going to have to suffer in silence until January and try to find another move.

3 hours ago, penguin said:

Could enlighten me? And provide/link any evidence? I've seen this discussion a few times and just never seen any attempt of root cause analysis like what villa4europe talks about in the previous post, it always seems as superficial as referencing Sol Campbell or Hughton getting sacked and the overall lack of numbers. 

It's a few years old but this is a decent article

Why are there so few black football managers?

There are just four black or minority ethnic (BME) football managers currently working at the 92 clubs in the Premier League and Football League – Huddersfield Town’s Chris Powell, Carlisle United’s Keith Curle, Leyton Orient’s Fabio Liverani and Burton’s Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. This is in stark contrast to representation on the pitch, where around 25% of players across the four English leagues are black...

...According to a new report, conducted by Loughborough University’s Dr Steven Bradbury for the Sports People’s Think Tank, which was first revealed in the Observer last month, there has been “a systematic denial of talent and ambition”. Bradbury identified 552 senior coaching positions in English football and calculated that only 19 of them – 3.4% – were filled by BME candidates. This is a dismal return for a group that makes up 14% of the UK population.

You can't really get more evidence than comparing proportions of black managers vs proportion of black players and then anecdotal evidence.

I'm not sure what other evidence you could get short of catching a chairman saying "Don't hire him because he's black" which isn't going to happen, especially as, like I said, I'm sure most of the time this isn't explicit.

It's flippant to keep saying it's just Sol Campbell and Dwight Yorke when there's clearly an underrepresentation of BME managers/coaches in the game and an asbolute truck load of accounts from BME ex footballers saying that they don't get the same opportunities.

Edited by Stevo985

• 2 weeks later...

Growing calls for a social media boycott, not sure it will achieve much. If I were a footballer with a big Twitter presence I'd just post and move on, without reading the comments. 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Pogba and the Reading striker now get abused online for missing penalties just like Tammy. 

Surely is a way of policing these scum, they aren't football fans

The Tammy one is particularly galling. Been with the club since he was a boy. He's one of their own. Misses a penalty and he's an N word smh.

Â