Racism in Football

Zatman

Balotelli has said racism here is rife, not against black people but against anyone who isn't English 

Not sure on the question or the full extent of the answer but for him after definitely getting some bad shit in his inter days and I think some in France too for the colour of his skin to attack English fans is strange and probably telling

I don't know the ins and outs but I do t instantly doubt he's wrong either 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Racism is obviously disgusting and should be dealt with with the full force of the law but Harry Maguire's idea of making every social media user verify their account with a passport or driving licence is absurd. Not going to help at all.

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Balotelli has said racism here is rife, not against black people but against anyone who isn't English 

Not sure on the question or the full extent of the answer but for him after definitely getting some bad shit in his inter days and I think some in France too for the colour of his skin to attack English fans is strange and probably telling

I don't know the ins and outs but I do t instantly doubt he's wrong either 

He said in February that racism in Italy is far worse than the UK or France. That is kind of what I would have thought. There seems to be a real problem in Italy. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

He said in February that racism in Italy is far worse than the UK or France. That is kind of what I would have thought. There seems to be a real problem in Italy. 

Stadium racism is lot bigger in Italy and Spain compared to UK. I think the UK media now thats a different as we saw with Sterling 

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I I were a manager I'd mandate to my players a no social media policy while under contract.

Obviously you cant do that given how much money players can make from having lots of followers. However I assume clubs have clauses in contracts that all social media posts need to be approved by the club media officer before they are published. 

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Obviously you cant do that given how much money players can make from having lots of followers. However I assume clubs have clauses in contracts that all social media posts need to be approved by the club media officer before they are published. 

True. I guess maybe suggest to the players not to engage directly with unverified posters or even engage at all. Just post and GTFO of the cesspool.

13 minutes ago, villa89 said:

They get enough money as it is without milking social media for more. 

15 hours ago, Xela said:

Social Media like twitter has brought the very worst out in people.

Physicist Neil DeGrass Tyson nailed it when he said "Scientists gave the world the internet, but didn't create the curriculum for it, which means it's hard to filter what's true from the bullshit.  My job is not to preach what is true, but to teach how not to believe the bullshit".

We'll get there, but as I've said before, the average joe (idiot) doesn't know how to act when given anonymity.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2019 at 18:19, villa4europe said:

To be fair, there's a bias against anyone who is English as well.

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 18:20, Mantis said:

Racism is obviously disgusting and should be dealt with with the full force of the law but Harry Maguire's idea of making every social media user verify their account with a passport or driving licence is absurd. Not going to help at all.

Why don't you think it would help? I bet there would be huge reduction in the amount of online abuse if accounts were linked to their personal details like home address/passport/license/ID card.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why don't you think it would help? I bet there would be huge reduction in the amount of online abuse if accounts were linked to their personal details like home address/passport/license/ID card.

Agreed.

It would mean abuse and scams would have very little online presence. 

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

It presents serious issues over privacy, and in any case people could just use proxies and register their social media accounts in different countries.

On 20/08/2019 at 18:30, maqroll said:

I I were a manager I'd mandate to my players a no social media policy while under contract.

You can probably do that up to a point, but Paul Pogba has got more followers than Manchester United and that brings in value.  Social media is here to stay and it's now the measure of celebrity. I'd imagine sponsorship deals can be secured against it, just look at how Villa's profile has increased in Egypt over the last few months.  

On 20/08/2019 at 18:36, villa89 said:

half the time it's not even them posting. the club social media rep will send them posts with a pro shot photo and a nice message along the lines of "support was amazing as always!" and they just have to copy and share it

On 20/08/2019 at 18:20, Mantis said:

it's the only solution though. most of the racist messages are trolls who have multiple accounts and can just set another up once they get blocked.

I would say a good 90% of racist comments aren't from racist people. Just a heat of the moment kind of thing, that's probably not truly in their character.  If there was potential punishment, I think they would be able to refrain from posting that nonsense. Then you'd have a number of racist trolls who can't be bothered going through the hassle, or don't have the know how, to set up accounts in a different country. So it would work IMO.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

it's the only solution though. most of the racist messages are trolls who have multiple accounts and can just set another up once they get blocked.

How is it a solution when they can presumably still get around it?

Â