Racism in Football

Zatman

14 hours ago, The_Rev said:

You can probably do that up to a point, but Paul Pogba has got more followers than Manchester United and that brings in value.  Social media is here to stay and it's now the measure of celebrity. I'd imagine sponsorship deals can be secured against it, just look at how Villa's profile has increased in Egypt over the last few months.  

Doubled edged sword.

On 30/08/2019 at 15:37, Mantis said:

It presents serious issues over privacy, and in any case people could just use proxies and register their social media accounts in different countries.

I'm not saying it would be perfect, but I expect there to be a huge reduction in online abuse.

The funny thing is, the famous people must have to verify their identity to get the little blue tick thing, but any Tom, Dick or Harry can abuse them all they like anonymously. 

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm not saying it would be perfect, but I expect there to be a huge reduction in online abuse.

The funny thing is, the famous people must have to verify their identity to get the little blue tick thing, but any Tom, Dick or Harry can abuse them all they like anonymously. 

I'm not sure some reduction of abuse online is worth the price of obvious privacy issues.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Just now, Mantis said:

I'm not sure some reduction of abuse online is worth the price of obvious privacy issues.

Whats the problem with the management of the website having your details on file? 

I'd have no issue with it.

Just now, Genie said:

Whats the problem with the management of the website having your details on file? 

I'd have no issue with it.

Because both private companies and the government have shown that they're pretty shit at keeping private information private.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Because both private companies and the government have shown that they're pretty shit at keeping private information private.

So that's something else then. Doesnt alter the fact, if people were not acting anonymously they would be less likely to abuse someone online. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

So that's something else then. Doesnt alter the fact, if people were not acting anonymously they would be less likely to abuse someone online. 

But people will still be able to act anonymously anyway. Also, while online abuse obviously isn't nice, most if it isn't even close to being illegal (racism is obviously a different story).

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

On 30/08/2019 at 11:20, kurtsimonw said:

I would say a good 90% of racist comments aren't from racist people. Just a heat of the moment kind of thing, that's probably not truly in their character.  If there was potential punishment, I think they would be able to refrain from posting that nonsense. Then you'd have a number of racist trolls who can't be bothered going through the hassle, or don't have the know how, to set up accounts in a different country. So it would work IMO.

How does that work? Why would someone who isn't racist post racist abuse in the "heat it the moment"? Why would you even bring race into it?

Calling Kevin Friend a cracker to insult him after his performance today wouldn't have even crossed my mind, but I probably would have punched him if I saw him, that's how I was feeling.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2019 at 16:20, kurtsimonw said:

I would say a good 90% of racist comments aren't from racist people. Just a heat of the moment kind of thing, that's probably not truly in their character.

This really isn't a thing.  You don't throw out any sort of racist comment unless you're racist, to whatever extent.

• Like 4

On 30/08/2019 at 11:20, kurtsimonw said:

I would say a good 90% of racist comments aren't from racist people. Just a heat of the moment kind of thing, that's probably not truly in their character.  If there was potential punishment, I think they would be able to refrain from posting that nonsense. 

This is beyond asinine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Cagliari have form for this, i am sure its where Kean got abused last season and he was criticised by Bonucci and Allegri 🙄

See the Media and Punditry thread for more ridiculous criticism of Kean. The casual reinforcement of racism is as bad as the slurs and chants imo 

I don’t think there is an answer to social media racism. These cowards will always exist. The only thing that can be done is for everyone to give them abuse. 

The one thing worse than a racist comment on twitter are replies that find it funny or even add to it.

One racist coward on his own I can handle. When it becomes a crowd of racists it becomes harder to stomach.

I spent m

On 02/09/2019 at 16:59, Zatman said:

Cagliari have form for this, i am sure its where Kean got abused last season and he was criticised by Bonucci and Allegri 🙄

Yes and they have form dating back even further than that, the other day I heard the list of all their racists actions, the club should be thrown out and the stadium burnt down. Disgraceful place it must be to have so many actively racist fans!!

On 31/08/2019 at 00:50, kurtsimonw said:

I would say a good 90% of racist comments aren't from racist people. Just a heat of the moment kind of thing, that's probably not truly in their character.  If there was potential punishment, I think they would be able to refrain from posting that nonsense. Then you'd have a number of racist trolls who can't be bothered going through the hassle, or don't have the know how, to set up accounts in a different country. So it would work IMO.

Possible the most absurd comment Ive read in recent days.

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Possible the most absurd comment Ive read in recent days.

So do you believe any time anyone is referred to by their ethnicity or sex, the person saying that is a sexist or a racist?

You may believe it to be "absurd", but I genuinely think they aren't necessarily. This week someone has labelled someone a "mad twitter woman". In your view it's absurd not to label this poster a sexist, yes?

• Like 1

Â