Racism in Football

Zatman

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Mendy did not seem offended. Club mates having bantz. No one harmed.

Do FA not have anything better to do?

It's highly likely that between them they have this sort of banter and it's considered perfectly acceptable. However it's certainly idiotic to share 'private banter' like that on Twitter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

He's not being compared to another person, he's being compared to a caricature that's based on an offensive racial stereotype. Silva is definitely in the wrong whether Mendy is offended or not.

Can we ask Mendy if he is wrong or not? Isn't that how it works?

We can guess and make assumptions, but we don't know the back-story to this.  It could have been an imagine Mendy has referenced himself in the past or whatnot.  

To an outsider (like we all are) it's comparing a photo of Mendy to an old caricature of a black person, which as we all know, isn't a good look. 

The death by social media thing goes on. 

And that's the problem with making a judgement on a singular event, it makes you look stupid until you're proved right or wrong. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

We can guess and make assumptions, but we don't know the back-story to this.  It could have been an imagine Mendy has referenced himself in the past or whatnot.  

To an outsider (like we all are) it's comparing a photo of Mendy to an old caricature of a black person, which as we all know, isn't a good look. 

The death by social media thing goes on. 

And that's the problem with making a judgement on a singular event, it makes you look stupid until you're proved right or wrong. 

Regardless of whether Silva did this with bad intentions or taste, there will be people outraged by anything on the internet. It's easy to tweet isn't it.

People make more of the so-called social media outrage than actually takes place. People are talking about something, that was put in the public sphere...in that same space...a space intended to facilitate discussion. Wow.

With regards to this issue, they really need to give footballers history courses. Between this and the Griezmann incident, it's just a complete lack of awareness. There are kids in middleschool who know they shouldn't be doing that type of thing in public. It might be just "bantz" between teammates (if Mendy is cool with him being likened to old caricatures, that's on him I guess), but once it enters the public sphere, it's up for discussion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

People make more of the so-called social media outrage than actually takes place. People are talking about something, that was put in the public sphere...in that same space...a space intended to facilitate discussion. Wow.

With regards to this issue, they really need to give footballers history courses. Between this and the Griezmann incident, it's just a complete lack of awareness. There are kids in middleschool who know they shouldn't be doing that type of thing in public. It might be just "bantz" between teammates (if Mendy is cool with him being likened to old caricatures, that's on him I guess), but once it enters the public sphere, it's up for discussion.

I think people fail to realise what is and isn't acceptable is interchangeable in different places.

In France in the 60s, they probably weren't that aware of the stuff going on in the USA with civil rights movements etc.  

People have their own cultures and to be fair, the UK and the USA are hardly bastions for what should be widely tolerated around the globe ay? 

There was a tweet today with a video of a couple who did a "gender reveal" of their unborn child, a man threw a watermelon filled with coloured ink into a live hippo's mouth, as the hippo chomped on the watermelon, blue ink came from his mouth.  Upon seeing it was going to be a boy, the guy hugged his wife and said "thank god".

The video ends.  127,000 retweets, and the couple are being widely abused for celebrating a boy over a girl.

Really horrible vitriolic comments like "they shouldn't be allowed to have children", "I hope the baby dies".

The response of the woman is "we have a daughter who we love dearly, and I really wanted to experience a mother/son relationship and we've paid a lot of money to be pregnant".

So that good news for someone, alongside a throwaway comment celebrating that the woman was pregnant, with a boy which they wanted has caused hundreds of thousands of people to judge everything about them.

We know it's stupid to post that kind of message on social media, because we've been exposed to the problem.  We've LEARNED about it and have been taught it's not acceptable.  Not everyone has.  That doesn't excuse it in anyway.

I've learned things in my 30s about things I should and shouldn't say, and I hope there's plenty more learning to come.

People need to stop judging people on 1 event, it's getting pretty **** tiring.

He took it down, hopefully he'll have learnt by it. The end.

Educate people who need to be educated.  Don't ruin their lives over singular events, to which no context has been laid.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I think people fail to realise what is and isn't acceptable is interchangeable in different places.

In France in the 60s, they probably weren't that aware of the stuff going on in the USA with civil rights movements etc.  

People have their own cultures and to be fair, the UK and the USA are hardly bastions for what should be widely tolerated around the globe ay? 

There was a tweet today with a video of a couple who did a "gender reveal" of their unborn child, a man threw a watermelon filled with coloured ink into a live hippo's mouth, as the hippo chomped on the watermelon, blue ink came from his mouth.  Upon seeing it was going to be a boy, the guy hugged his wife and said "thank god".

The video ends.  127,000 retweets, and the couple are being widely abused for celebrating a boy over a girl.

Really horrible vitriolic comments like "they shouldn't be allowed to have children", "I hope the baby dies".

The response of the woman is "we have a daughter who we love dearly, and I really wanted to experience a mother/son relationship and we've paid a lot of money to be pregnant".

So that good news for someone, alongside a throwaway comment celebrating that the woman was pregnant, with a boy which they wanted has caused hundreds of thousands of people to judge everything about them.

We know it's stupid to post that kind of message on social media, because we've been exposed to the problem.  We've LEARNED about it and have been taught it's not acceptable.  Not everyone has.  That doesn't excuse it in anyway.

I've learned things in my 30s about things I should and shouldn't say, and I hope there's plenty more learning to come.

People need to stop judging people on 1 event, it's getting pretty **** tiring.

Educate people who need to be educated.  Don't ruin their lives over singular events, to which no context has been laid.

People just post anything on social media, it's a cesspool. Twitter is one of the worst culprits. Just look at what happened to Tammy and Pogba recently. But looking at Twitter right now, I'm seeing a lot of dumb reaches like "if what Bernardo tweeted was racist, then so is this tweet from Sterling comparing Zinchenko to De Bruyne" and no real vitriol towards him.

I don't think anything will happen to Silva just like nothing happened to Griezmann. Maybe he'll have to do a course or something, who knows. But he still did the thing, and put it out there for everyone to see so he needs to take responsibility even if he didn't know better...because he should have. You'd be surprised at how similar the racist tropes and caricatures were across the colonial West in the 20th century.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

By the look of things the conguitos logo is still that character, there is also a “white” version of it for white chocolate. It certainly doesn’t look like it’s even meant to be human 

The name Conguitos means "little ones from the Congo" 🤔

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Is this a traditional way of doing a gender reveal somewhere? Interesting if it is! Very strange if some random couple have just come up with it.

If the melon inker only has enough blue and pink ink to fill half a melon each do they just use both to signify hermaphrodyte?

12 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm sure he will in the end, but was stupid to double down with his "you can't even joke with friends anymore" follow up tweet. Take the race issue completely out of it - to me the main problem is being so removed from the real world that you don't understand that will cause a backlash. More media training needed I think.

4 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Is this a traditional way of doing a gender reveal somewhere? Interesting if it is! Very strange if some random couple have just come up with it.

If the melon inker only has enough blue and pink ink to fill half a melon each do they just use both to signify hermaphrodyte?

I'm sure he will in the end, but was stupid to double down with his "you can't even joke with friends anymore" follow up tweet. Take the race issue completely out of it - to me the main problem is being so removed from the real world that you don't understand that will cause a backlash. More media training needed I think.

No, it was just a couple of odd Americans :lol:  

The second point, again, I don't feel we can cast judgement because there is no context for us to judge him on.

What if Mendy had said "when I was a kid I was told I looked like the character"? And in a moment of stupidity, Silva put a pic he found of Mendy alongside it?  Is that ok? 

I used to know a black guy who looked like will smith, I told him he looked like Will Smith and after that he used to call himself the Fresh Prince - am I racist because I compared him to another black person?  If I'd have honestly thought he looked like a black cartoon character, like say Cleveland from Family Guy, which is a show based entirely on stereotypes, would that have been racist? 

We're in a weird place at the moment and I'm not going to say we're all being over-sensitive because we're not, I think we're all trying to get to the right place race-relations wise and there are still obvious problems.  But there's definitely a jump culture on social media.  Mendy and Silva are teammates, I'm going to guess that their relationship is at a place where they probably can joke about these things, and I dare say Mendy has some comebacks and comparisons of his own. 

• Like 4

We're in a weird place at the moment and I'm not going to say we're all being over-sensitive because we're not, I think we're all trying to get to the right place race-relations wise and there are still obvious problems.  But there's definitely a jump culture on social media.  Mendy and Silva are teammates, I'm going to guess that their relationship is at a place where they probably can joke about these things, and I dare say Mendy has some comebacks and comparisons of his own. 

I have private jokes with my mates that are incredibly inappropriate, but we're on the same wave length, and it's fine. You put it in the public domain though, and it's going to be viewed through a different lens.

I'm still juvenile enough to be amused by dead baby jokes. I probably wouldn't broadcast it on Twitter if I were famous, or even post one on here, when it's a medium consumed by far more people than just my mates. I'll make dick jokes in the pub. I probably wouldn't on TV. People with any sense tailor their conversation to the potential audience. 

I don't think the lad how posted the picture is a racist, but it was a **** stupid thing to do, especially with the recent issues with players being racially abused on Twitter. Anything race related is under a particularly intense spotlight right now, especially for footballers. I don't think it was in any way intended to cause offence. But it was dumb as hell.

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I have private jokes with my mates that are incredibly inappropriate, but we're on the same wave length, and it's fine. You put it in the public domain though, and it's going to be viewed through a different lens.

I'm still juvenile enough to be amused by dead baby jokes. I probably wouldn't broadcast it on Twitter if I were famous, or even post one on here, when it's a medium consumed by far more people than just my mates. I'll make dick jokes in the pub. I probably wouldn't on TV. People with any sense tailor their conversation to the potential audience. 

I don't think the lad how posted the picture is a racist, but it was a **** stupid thing to do, especially with the recent issues with players being racially abused on Twitter. Anything race related is under a particularly intense spotlight right now, especially for footballers. I don't think it was in any way intended to cause offence. But it was dumb as hell.

100% agreed.

I'm arguing against the clamors for action, to get him banned, or sacked or shamed out of his profession because of it.  All a load of shit. 

Essentially, trying to ruin his life because of it is what I'm against. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm arguing against the clamors for action, to get him banned, or sacked or shamed out of his profession because of it.  All a load of shit. 

Yeah that'd be ridiculous overkill.

I suspect an apology and perhaps a PR person taking over his social media might be a good approach!

38 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

No, it was just a couple of odd Americans :lol:  

The second point, again, I don't feel we can cast judgement because there is no context for us to judge him on.

What if Mendy had said "when I was a kid I was told I looked like the character"? And in a moment of stupidity, Silva put a pic he found of Mendy alongside it?  Is that ok?

The stupidity of it is all I'm judging. I can't believe he's that unaware of the world we live in.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

The stupidity of it is all I'm judging. I can't believe he's that unaware of the world we live in.

You don't believe a sheltered 25 year old footballer who probably grew up in relative poverty, lacks proper education and was probably a millionaire at 20 could be stupid? 🤨

38 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

You don't believe a sheltered 25 year old footballer who probably grew up in relative poverty, lacks proper education and was probably a millionaire at 20 could be stupid? 🤨

Bernardo Silva actually comes from a middle class background 😉

• Thanks 1

Â