Racism in Football

Zatman

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

No where am I saying it's an excuse, merely that because it is ignorance it can, for some, be corrected.

Not saying you are, just that it shouldn't factor into his punishment. I would hope ignorance can be corrected with a class or two, but from the discourse I've seen in the last few years, I've seen little to suggest that many people can get over their own ego and accept that they might hold racist views. It will probably just be more like detention/summer school for these guys. I hope Beardsley can makes some strides in this area but if I'm being honest, I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Banning people for a racist comment or even a collection of them isn't necessarily going to solve the issue. It's unlikely to correct the underlying sentiment and it will reinforce the 'PC gone mad' victim-hood that an increasing amount of people hold on to.

Some people are old school and very ignorant and think this sort of 'banter' is acceptable. Many of these individuals are racists out of sheer ignorance. I think there's definitely a role for 'awareness training' to address this coupled with an appropriate suspension from the sport. Racism is ideological, a set of very bad ideas which can be conditioned out of people if they're shown the right way of thinking about race. Thus the appropriate way to deal with it in this sport is suspension + training, which appears to be what has been sanctioned. It's certainly not the case for everyone that 'once a racist always a racist', simply not true. Obviously if he does this again having undergone a suspension and training then a more robust punishment such as a lifetime ban would be the right punishment.  

What sort of banter are we talking about, does anyone have any idea of what Beardsley's alleged to have said?

It may well be that he said something pretty horrendous and therefore deserving of his punishment. Equally though, and with all due respect to everyone, some people have real sensitivity issues these days and are pandered to.

• Like 1

Racism can definitely be decreased with effective education.

That said, I don't think this works with people like Beardsley who would have experienced great diversity in his life and is wealthy enough not to have got caught up in arguments that create a bogeyman. It's much easier to see how someone on JSA in one of these dead coastal towns gets trapped into the mindset.

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What sort of banter are we talking about, does anyone have any idea of what Beardsley's alleged to have said?

I'm still not sure if this is actually true, but apparently made comments to black players on a day out at Go Ape. I don't know what was allegedly said, but imo it would have been impossible for anything like this to have been an acceptable way to single out kids in a group.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Racism can definitely be decreased with effective education.

That said, I don't think this works with people like Beardsley who would have experienced great diversity in his life and is wealthy enough not to have got caught up in arguments that create a bogeyman. It's much easier to see how someone on JSA in one of these dead coastal towns gets trapped into the mindset.

I'm still not sure if this is actually true, but apparently made comments to black players on a day out at Go Ape. I don't know what was allegedly said, but imo it would have been impossible for anything like this to have been an acceptable way to single out kids in a group.

Wait, I thought his comments were for the black players to "go ape"...is that the name of the event they were at then? And his comments were something else?

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Wait, I thought his comments were for the black players to "go ape"...is that the name of the event they were at then? And his comments were something else?

Go Ape is a company that does high ropes days for team building. I've not got any idea what the comments are, but if it is true that one of the incidents was during this you can quite easily fill in the gaps!

It took about 2 minutes after this broke for me to see the first "my mum used to call me a cheeky monkey when I climbed a tree, is she racist? PC gone mad" comment. As if that's even remotely similar to (allegedly) making insinuations to just black players that they should be better at climbing/used to it*.

*a few of the things I've seen people say he was supposed to have said. I doubt we'll ever know exactly what happened unless one of the players writes a book after retiring.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Go Ape is a company that does high ropes days for team building. I've not got any idea what the comments are, but if it is true that one of the incidents was during this you can quite easily fill in the gaps!

It took about 2 minutes after this broke for me to see the first "my mum used to call me a cheeky monkey when I climbed a tree, is she racist? PC gone mad" comment. As if that's even remotely similar to (allegedly) making insinuations to just black players that they should be better at climbing/used to it*.

*a few of the things I've seen people say he was supposed to have said. I doubt we'll ever know exactly what happened unless one of the players writes a book after retiring.

Oh dear, that's way worse than I thought if true and the 8 month ban now makes more sense.

I think he should get another 8 months for taking the players to Go Ape on a team bonding session! Its the type of painful 'forced fun' that gets inflicted on people at various offices and workplaces across the country! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

It amazes me how often you do see this from people who have woken up and got caught up in the frenzy. I bet most of them haven't seen the original tweet either.

Well it's the punishment that one or two enlightened ones on here have recommended :D

16 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Mendy did not seem offended. Club mates having bantz. No one harmed.

Do FA not have anything better to do?

Once he puts it on Twitter it is no longer just Mendy's opinion that matters. If he is joking just with his mate who isn't offended then whatever, but he is posting it to a public forum where people might feel differently

Even if you don't think there was malice in it, you have to admit it was very stupid.

7 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I don't get it? Black guy said to lookalike someone black? He's not going to be compared to Harry Hill is he? 

Does this mean we can't joke about someone looking like another person anymore? 

I think the problem is more the outdated caricature that should be confined to the past.

In much the same way I'm sure a lot of asian people would be offended if you posted a picture of them next to one of the old caricatures with a paddy hat, fu manchu beard and exagerrated rat like features.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2019 at 15:19, Dr_Pangloss said:

The concept of being 'struck off' doesn't really exist in most 'qualified roles', he's not a doctor, he doesn't work in finance and has been involved in corruption or insider trading. The FA may have the right to give him a lifetime ban but clearly saw 8 months as sufficient, I don't really disagree with them.

late to this

I wouldn't be banned, depending on the scale of the offence I would be sacked and then maybe refused a reference in the future and if any future employer caught wind of why I was unemployed they probably wouldn't offer me a job, I had a training course and a refresher course on it at my previous employer, they could wash their hands of anyone they caught doing it

Newcastle sacked him in March, the ban is window dressing by the FA looking like they're doing something but in reality in terms of the real world of employment rather than the football world Beardsley is already done

Â