Racism in Football

Zatman

He's only gone and been a massive douche again. Is it really any wonder people don't like him?

Beeb

Manchester City: Raheem Sterling arranges for 550 children to attend FA Cup semi-final

Raheem Sterling has arranged for 550 pupils from his old school to attend the FA Cup semi-final between Manchester City and Brighton at Wembley on Saturday.

Students from the Ark Elvin Academy in London will also meet the England winger at City's training complex in Manchester on Thursday.

Sterling, 24, was raised near Wembley after moving from Jamaica aged five.

:snip:

1 hour ago, choffer said:

He's only gone and been a massive douche again. Is it really any wonder people don't like him?

Beeb

The hate for Raheem Sterling (from mainstream media no less) is one of the most inexplicable and infuriating state of affairs in football.

Just now, Keyblade said:

The hate for Raheem Sterling (from mainstream media no less) is one of the most inexplicable and infuriating state of affairs in football.

Its because he left Liverpool. Was none of this crap before that 

• Like 1

On 13/12/2018 at 17:10, tonyh29 said:

a part of me can't help but think Sterling suffers from the same problem as Diane Abbot  , it's not your skin colour people object to , its the fact you are an enormous rocket polisher

that said , Chelsea man may have specifically used the word "black" and therefore he has no argument  , if you lost your job over it then boo hoo , serves you right for being a racist clearing in the woods

if he said "Manc" then he's presumably free to argue his wrongful dismissal case via  a tribunal  , though I doubt he'll get far

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Beeb

Get this guy out of my football!

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its because he left Liverpool. Was none of this crap before that 

This is literally bollocks.  He had "hippy crack", something to do with smoking a shisha pipe, an article about him being "tired" because of partying and also the whole assaulting his girlfriend thing - all whilst at Liverpool.

(Although not surprised your hatred of Liverpool managed to get through :D  It's a kind of racism too, right?!)

Edited by bobzy

Well the assault went to court, cant really blame the media for that but the hippy crack was reported April 2015,  2 weeks after he said he turned down a new deal at Liverpool. 

Since he has went to City he has got so much more abuse

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Must admit, I find the notion of eradicating racism from football a pointless exercise. 

You're essentially asking people who are racist all week not to be racist for '90 minutes on a saturday afternoon'. 

It's a societal issue, not a football issue. 

Yet this country has managed to do just that. Other countries should be doing the same. 

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Eh? You think there's no racism at British football grounds? 

No of course not. I just think we’ve come a really long way in 20-30 years where the vast majority of games are racism free and the odd exceptions get booted out the ground. (Millwalls an exception as they are just rotten to the care). 

I agree we will never eradicate racism in society. But clubs in Europe should be making much more of an effort to remove it from grounds the way we have in the Premier League.

edit: you say you can’t make racists not be racist for 90 minutes. That is true. But you can make the racists keep their racism to themselves in that time!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

38 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I disagree there.  The Anglosphere's lurch to the right over the past five years so so, the political bombshells of 2016 on both sides of the Atlantic, the traction that people like Tommy Robinson, Nigel Farage and Katie Hopkins have managed to gain on social media have all  emboldened people to express racist views in public.  It's getting worse, and large crowds of white Anglo-Saxon protestants full of beer on a Saturday afternoon are amongst the mouthiest. I'd agree that we aren't at the levels of the 70s and early 80s (40-50 years ago, not 20-30) but society is sliding in the wrong direction. 

And likely to get worse whilst we continue with a political system that is based on division, but that's another story for another thread I guess.....

On 04/04/2019 at 18:44, Zatman said:

Well the assault went to court, cant really blame the media for that but the hippy crack was reported April 2015,  2 weeks after he said he turned down a new deal at Liverpool. 

Since he has went to City he has got so much more abuse

Almost like he's got older and become a higher profile player or something.  The hate has been with him throughout.

They just had to show their hand by hating on Sterling who is one of the most low-key and humble young players in football. They don't even have the tact to hide behind some of the more 'colourful' characters like say Mario Balotelli in Italy anymore. That's what I find so galling about it all. It's just so blatant.

Edited by Keyblade

It's a good job we never had social media in the late 70s.

Fans would have certainly known the best place to buy bananas on the way to the Hawthorns in 78.

Hugh Johns commenting that fans were throwing "missiles" onto the pitch, would have been giffed and shared to death.

The best thing to do with a "Baggies Against Racism" leaflet would have been a Twitter debate too, no doubt.

Yes it was that bad. anyone there would confirm that. What Big Cyrille et al went through was horrific.

It's a shame we're still having the discussion TBH. 

"

• Like 1

Â